2016 MX5200 Dual Fuel Filters?

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Kubota MX5100-(sold) / Kubota MX 5200-(sold) / Kubota MX5800
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
Hello All,

Well, I'm experiencing some issues with my MX5200. I purchased it used, it has 335 hrs on it. When I've been trying to push/move snow the past two months, it'll stall the motor once it gets good and warmed up (after about 20-30 minutes of actual use and about 5 mins or so of letting the motor actually warm up before doing any work). I think I've got it narrowed down to a fuel issue.

I was surprised to find out in looking at the Kubota parts diagrams as well as calling the dealer that this has two different filters on the fuel line. I'm not a mechanic and have limited knowledge of mechanical stuff, but I work on my own stuff with my father as I can. After confirming the second fuel filter, I was thinking $10-$20. Make sure you're sitting down, glad I was......$150 for the canister filter!!! It looks like an oil filter, and I'm sure it has a finer element in it to catch crud, but wow, I cannot believe it's that expensive. The part number is 1J800-43020.

I've done some searching to try to find it cheaper but don't find a match on Amazon or Ebay. The canister filter is a replacement item every 400 hrs from what the dealer said, so it's getting close. I may have water or possibly some crud stuck in the line, going to work on it this week.

I wanted to reach out to the rest of you to see if others have experienced anything similar, if anyone else has replaced this second filter (the canister one), and if there are other more reasonable options out there? As always, I appreciate any time, help, and feedback. Thanks!

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I've changed the second filter out and cleaned the 1st filter.
I don't remember it costing anything near that. I believe the
1st filter is more a water sight glass than anything. When
you fill your tractor make sure you look at the red ring as it
floats with water. It's happened once with me. Had some
water in my gas can.

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Just trying to figure out if this sounds right? I'm going to go out and actually do some problem solving possibly tomorrow to try to accurately diagnose what's going on. I'm hoping it is just water in the first (bowl) section. Either way, that other filter will need replaced soon. When I look it up on Messick's site it appears to be about the same price. It's just hard to believe a standard fuel filter costs this much?

Pburchett

Equipment
MX5200HST
May 7, 2016
South Central KY
I think that is for the fuel filter assembly (housing and all the junk that makes up the mounting plate and stuff like that). I think the fuel filter is about $20. Check colemans or get one at the parts store. If it cost that much mine will get an aftermarket filter when I get to 400 hrs.

JB13502

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 12, 2018
Deerfield, NY
The first one is the water separator, there's a wire screen inside. The second one (on the engine) is the fuel filter.

The cartridge (looks like an oil filter) is around $20.00. The fuel filter assembly itself is pretty expensive. That's probably what you were looking at.

Word of advice from someone who's been there... try to have at least 2 fuel filters on hand at all times. They wax up really fast in a gel situation. (The screen in the separator is more forgiving, rinse it in kerosene and you're good to go).

The part number that you want is 1J800-43170. $21.16 from Messick's.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like others are saying, you only have one fuel filter, the other is a water separator.
The P/N you give is for the whole assembly.
Here are the part #'s you need:
Fuel Filter P/N 1J800-43170
Separator Screen P/N 1G311-43380

Sound to me like you have water in the seperator.

Get the OPS manual here: It shows how to check the filters:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...712?ext=.pdf&usg=AOvVaw325MdGlVXYkFmnaHXBf0Ev

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
The first one is the water separator, there's a wire screen inside. The second one (on the engine) is the fuel filter.

The cartridge (looks like an oil filter) is around $20.00. The fuel filter assembly itself is pretty expensive. That's probably what you were looking at.

Word of advice from someone who's been there... try to have at least 2 fuel filters on hand at all times. They wax up really fast in a gel situation. (The screen in the separator is more forgiving, rinse it in kerosene and you're good to go).

The part number that you want is 1J800-43170. $21.16 from Messick's.
I don't know about you but I don't want to fool around with a waxed filter! Preventing waxing and fuel icing is a better deal!

The best thing to avoid cold weather fuel problems is to keep your tank as full as possible to reduce condensation, drain your water separator on a regular basis to check on water accumulation, make sure you have winter fuel before the cold weather gets here, and if you get stuck with a partial tank of summer fuel, cut it with #1 diesel and put a winter treatment in it, change your filter on time and in the fall AND keep a spare filter handy.

Last edited:

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
Thanks gentlemen for all the help, I'll be able to sleep tonight!!! I will wind up replacing both filters just to know for certain where things are at. I mean the tractor looks well taken care of and he did give me extra filters to go with it. I have had the tractor garaged since I bought it, but have only put maybe 2 hours on it. I filled the tank up at a gas station while it was on the trailer with road grade diesel. It may have had water in it, I have no idea of knowing. The fuel gauge just came off Full this last time while doing work.

I will be picking up the filters, along with an extra of each to have on hand. The garage is an attached garage which is completely insulated (ceiling, walls, floor, & garage door), but not heated. Anything in there doesn't freeze so it doesn't get below 32 degrees even in the coldest weather we get in Michigan. I haven't had to deal with any gelling issues before in anything, but this is my first diesel. I have read mixed reviews on additives to diesel fuel so thus far I've stayed away.

I just got the tractor this past October and with hunting season, I didn't use it at all until December. I'm very much preventative maintenance, especially as I start to get a little older. I hate working on stuff in the winter and prep everything mechanical for wintertime, as well as storage if it's going to be the off season for whatever motorized piece of equipment it is.

Again, I appreciate all the help and information. I hope to have this resolved by the end of this week and before our next storm!

JB13502

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 12, 2018
Deerfield, NY
If you got, and filled it, in October, chances are very good that you're not running a winter blend. Even if your garage is warm, fuel will begin to gel as soon as you get outside.

Don't be afraid of fuel conditioners. They're an absolute necessity, especially this winter. Alternately, you can run a 50/50 blend of #2 and kerosene. Some say you will lose lubricity running that blend, so you would still want to consider a conditioner.

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
Got it back up and running, there was a decent amount of "crud" brownish sludgish looking stuff, not a ton, maybe a teaspoon full, and probably two tablespoon fulls of water, maybe three in the separator. Replaced the separator screen with a new one and bought the fuel filter for when that needs changed. I'll look for some fuel additive coming up as it has been pretty cold outside to give it a shot.

Going to run it this week and do some more snow removal to see if that seems to have solved the issue completely. That and I want to verify there's not more crap in the fuel tank that works it's way down into the separator again. If it does then I'll have to pull the fuel tank, drain it, clean it out good, then start all over with good clean fresh fuel. Hopefully I'll be good with where things are at. Appreciate all the help, information and input! Thanks!!!