2016 M5091 140 hrs Def quality code

M5091

Equipment
M5-091 L4600
Jun 28, 2016
Murrysville, PA USA
My tractor has a warning that my DEF fluid is poor quality. A countdown timer has started. I drained the fluid and replaced it and I still have the error. Anyone know where to start fixing this? A new sensor perhaps? I hope I’m not looking at a huge dealer repair bill. Thanks.
AE8EDBEC-E6FF-4546-84B4-327A723A336E.jpeg

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
My tractor has a warning that my DEF fluid is poor quality. A countdown timer has started. I drained the fluid and replaced it and I still have the error. Anyone know where to start fixing this? A new sensor perhaps? I hope I’m not looking at a huge dealer repair bill. Thanks. View attachment 78805
I have a 2020 M5-091, when it was delivered to the dealer it had a note attached to it saying DEF header rework had been completed which indicates there was an updated header installed. Last summer I got an email telling me that there was a service campaign to replace the DEF header as well as the DEF injector and verify that the programming was up to date, that is at least two upgrades to the DEF system on my 2020 tractor, I am guessing a 2016 model just might need some updating. I would suggest contacting your friendly Kubota dealer.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You will need to contact your local dealer and have them perform at no charge. The travel and or transportation is also covered.
PSB-2020-142-R2 - MANDATORY CAMPAIGN: M-Series; M5 Cab Early Production DEF Header Update

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Having dealt with a 'countdown timer' on my RAM-Cummins 2500 I'm going to guess your engine will 'derate' at the conclusion of the countdown. The only solution is to have a dealer diagnose/flash the ECM to stop (or reset) the countdown. But that's a RAM pickup; your system could be different. In fact, I think Kubota diesels simply shut down at the conclusion of the countdown.

BTW, what's that orange(ish) symbol appearing in the lower-left of your dash, below the info screen? is that a 'regeneration in progress' lamp? That may have something to do with the entire issue.

As a newbie looking at your information screen, it appears as if you must have dealer service performed before 169 more minutes of operation.

DEF can degrade with time, it is sold new with a 'born on' date on the container iirc.

If you installed new DEF to replace defective/old DEF and that has fixed the problem, it's possible that a series of engine starts/warmups occurring WITHOUT the ECM/ECU (Engine Control Module/Engine Control Unit, whatever it's referred to in Kubota talk) detecting emissions problems could allow the engine service lamp to go off on its own (I doubt it). I'll bet that a 'symptom' like yours requires a US Govt-required visit to a DEALER so that all OEM emissions-related equipment can be inspected for performance (b/c it's a diesel with exhaust after-treatment).

The GOV is serious about diesel exhaust treatment. Please update this thread to let us know how you progress. Hope this helped, good luck!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
jkrubi12, did you miss the post above yours?

You will need to contact your local dealer and have them perform at no charge. The travel and or transportation is also covered.
PSB-2020-142-R2 - MANDATORY CAMPAIGN: M-Series; M5 Cab Early Production DEF Header Update
He knows what he's talking about! ;)

M5091

Equipment
M5-091 L4600
Jun 28, 2016
Murrysville, PA USA
I cant find that recall online. I’ll tell my dealer and see what he says.

M5091

Equipment
M5-091 L4600
Jun 28, 2016
Murrysville, PA USA
Having dealt with a 'countdown timer' on my RAM-Cummins 2500 I'm going to guess your engine will 'derate' at the conclusion of the countdown. The only solution is to have a dealer diagnose/flash the ECM to stop (or reset) the countdown. But that's a RAM pickup; your system could be different. In fact, I think Kubota diesels simply shut down at the conclusion of the countdown.

BTW, what's that orange(ish) symbol appearing in the lower-left of your dash, below the info screen? is that a 'regeneration in progress' lamp? That may have something to do with the entire issue.

As a newbie looking at your information screen, it appears as if you must have dealer service performed before 169 more minutes of operation.

DEF can degrade with time, it is sold new with a 'born on' date on the container iirc.

If you installed new DEF to replace defective/old DEF and that has fixed the problem, it's possible that a series of engine starts/warmups occurring WITHOUT the ECM/ECU (Engine Control Module/Engine Control Unit, whatever it's referred to in Kubota talk) detecting emissions problems could allow the engine service lamp to go off on its own (I doubt it). I'll bet that a 'symptom' like yours requires a US Govt-required visit to a DEALER so that all OEM emissions-related equipment can be inspected for performance (b/c it's a diesel with exhaust after-treatment).

The GOV is serious about diesel exhaust treatment. Please update this thread to let us know how you progress. Hope this helped, good luck!
The orange symbol indicates poor def fluid.

M5091

Equipment
M5-091 L4600
Jun 28, 2016
Murrysville, PA USA
Took it to the dealer today. He suspects the DEF header and injector will need replaced. He can’t speak if Kubota will cover it until he gets it in the shop and checks the serial number. I’ll keep everyone posted.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Hope they can take care of it with the recall.

Onto the DEF quality…..I just had to swap out the DEF pump on my truck. After the new one was installed, I switched to the Blue DEF Platinum and am pleasantly surprised at how much less DEF I’m using now. Also, I just read an article about the higher grade DEF has non fouling/non harmful additives that are good for maintaining the pump. Something to consider after you get your repair completed. Not advertising for the Platinum at all. Just giving my personal experience with DEF. I’m getting better mpg now. Mechanic said it’s because of fewer required regens. So better mpg, less DEF being used and better for the pump. Maybe I’m saving money With the more expensive DEF.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
If I'm not mistaken, by looking at the light, it appears your ice cream cone has fallen over and is melting. Perhaps while hovering over a river?

Makes you wonder what engineer designed that one.