Deshet

Equipment
BX2360 and BX2230
Feb 17, 2021
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Tractor has blockage at the tank

I always research before I post.
I changed both fuel filters
I blow compressed air through the line that feeds the first fuel filter. (Output of fuel tank)
This cleared the blockage.
I let about 4 gallons flow through the cleared line and in flowed with force.

The tractor ran great for 15 minutes and everything was blocked again.

I repeated the same process as above and the tractor ran great for 10 minutes.

I don't understand what type of blockage can allow gallons to flow through and then block again in minutes.

I ran a temporary line to the top of the tank and it ran perfectly for an at least an hour.

The tank is plastic and it look extremely difficult to get to. Is there something that I am missing.

Thanks for your help

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
De

sounds if you have "something" in the ol tank as you seem to have proved. With that model - could be a broken down (rusted) sending unit or perhaps a "leaf" - a poster just recently pulled a leaf from his tank!

There are videos of pulling everything off - seems to be huge deal, but actually it is rather straight forward.

If something is inside the tank - only one way of getting it out -:(

Set up an indoor place and take your time taking everything apart - taking pictures is highly recommended too.

Report back what you find IN the tank.

Reactions: 1 user

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Have you changed the fuel filter under the tractor before the fuel pump?

This is the filter that was in mine with 560 hours.. one of the worst I've seen..

Attachments

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Here's what cause me no end of grief....it's hard plastic,maybe 1/4" round,like half a bagel.It finally got sucked/lodged in the exit port of the tank. While it took me three 'easy' days to fix, dealer quoted 3hr labour ($500 up here.) It's not that bad of a job BUT be careful removing t
kub-stopper.JPG
kub-stopper.JPG
kub-stopper.JPG
he 3PH knob that 'fixed' the lift !!!! It does NOT pull off the way the other knobs do !!! I have a new one sitting here and some 'valve control rod' parts that'll be replaced ,maybe a month from now. Also the seat(BX23S) is dng HEAVY and awkward ! .bets have another set of hand to help. Also useful to get the 'fender deck' off and back on.

• Wow

Deshet

Equipment
BX2360 and BX2230
Feb 17, 2021
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Is that o-ring something that you dropped into the tank or did something come apart.

I thought about tying a magnet to some fishing line and seeing if I can get it far enough down catch anything metallic.

Both of my fuel filters have been replaced.
I also have a racor filter that will be here tomorrow.

Can anyone estimate how many hours it should take to remove the tank? I don't want to spend 10 hours doing it if the dealer or independent shop will charge for 2 or 3 hours.

I am mechanically inclined but extremely strapped for time.

Thanks

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Before you remove the tank are you sure the is no algae in the tank? 100 hrs seem too early for parts to disintegrate.

Deshet

Equipment
BX2360 and BX2230
Feb 17, 2021
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Definitely no algae in the tank.
Actually drained all the fuel out of the tank and added new fuel.

This is actually the second time that the fuel filters have been replaced

Fuel is extremely clean. I also have a lot of other diesel equipment, but this is my first tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is that o-ring something that you dropped into the tank or did something come apart.

I thought about tying a magnet to some fishing line and seeing if I can get it far enough down catch anything metallic.

Both of my fuel filters have been replaced.
I also have a racor filter that will be here tomorrow.

Can anyone estimate how many hours it should take to remove the tank? I don't want to spend 10 hours doing it if the dealer or independent shop will charge for 2 or 3 hours.

I am mechanically inclined but extremely strapped for time.

Thanks
I have heard it takes about 2 hours - non stop - the biggest problem are getting knobs off shafts!
Dealer will bust your fanny with labor but if time is money - that is one way to go.

I wonder if one of those cameras on a stick would allow you to see the bottom of the tank.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html

AND as for the racor filter - good way to go IMO

Several of us have placed the racor up front - and it works well!

2020-05-13 18.30.21.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's not a rubbery O-ring. Some kind of plastic, like an end cut shaving off a 'tube'. It's here in front of me....nasty reminder.
I have NO idea where it came from and now have a filler neck screen to keep 'big things' out of the tank.
The tank is kinda 3 compartments and this thing could have been in there since day one...it had to bounce or float to get to the middle,then into the 'spigot'. 2 days before I'd changed both filters thinking that was the problem.Nope. When I removed the tank filter, NO fuel came out(should have been a good STREAM ). Back blowing with mouth didn't clear it. Once on the bench, compressed air did ! The only hard party wasthe 3pt fix knob. It's 'locked' onto the shaft by a hidden roll pin. Goto parts, get the picture ,it kinda shows how it's attached.The WSM doesn't explain,just 'remove knobs'....). I spent maybe 2 hrs cleaning the tank,fill a boit of water,slosh, drain,several times,blow dry with air,, then some alcohol to get rid of any water.Overkill but she was like a virgin after that.
The whole job can be done in 3-6 hrs,depending on how dedicate dyou are and the phone doesn't ring...A second set of hands would speed up the job...lot cheaper than $500 to the dealer.
I'd disconnect the 1st filter, add 6' of 5/16" hose to the tank. fill with diesel (or water) and see how fast it comes out. Has to be a steady stream. The 'problem' could be like mine, a 'floater/bouncer' that once in awhile plugs the exit spigot......the only way to be 100% sure....pull the tank and clean it out. A flexible LED flashlite really help see inside the black tank....

Deshet

Equipment
BX2360 and BX2230
Feb 17, 2021
Virginia Beach, Virginia
That camera is a great idea.
I appreciate all the help.
I plan to drain the fuel and duct tape my wet drain vac to fill hole while blowing compressed air into the supply line.

I am hoping that this works.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That camera is a great idea.
I appreciate all the help.
I plan to drain the fuel and duct tape my wet drain vac to fill hole while blowing compressed air into the supply line.

I am hoping that this works.
I was going to suggest a camera also. If you see the culprit you can come up with a game plan to get it out.

I doubt the shop vac will be the answer, but can't hurt to try. Trouble is if you free something that is blocking the fuel outlet, the air flow rate will slow dramatically between the tank outlet and the fill opening, and whatever is freed will likely fall out of the air stream before reaching the shop vac. If you clean the vac out well, you might find something new in it afterwards though.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Before you remove the tank are you sure the is no algae in the tank? 100 hrs seem too early for parts to disintegrate.
But on the other hand, the tractor is 11 years old. :)

Deshet

Equipment
BX2360 and BX2230
Feb 17, 2021
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I really like the tractor but it seems that fuel problems are fairly common.

I have a 1980 volvo marine diesel that has lived through 40 years of marine use and the last thing that I worry about is the fuel system

I also have a 1994 deutz diesel powered air compressor and the last think I worry about in that is the fuel system. From my cummins to my CATs the fuel system is my last concern.

On my 6.0 powerstroke and my duramax I don't worry but I know that they need more maintenance then traditional diesels due to epa regulations.

This kubota doesn't physical look much different than the motor in my old bx2200 with a bad engine. (purchased that way I plan to do a motor swap) It doesn't seem to have any epa modifications.

Again still learning the tractor but I don't have any other diesel powered equipment that I get conceaned about having old fuel.

I can assure everyone that the fuel isn't old and that it doesn't have algae in it.

Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am gonna blast a little here of the super Kubota thinking.......

YOUR 6.0 power stroke has two filters yes? ARE they like the ones on the Kubota? nope
The Deutz's filters - large canister type? spin on ? yes???

Here is my point - the BX filter system is not great - those little ass filters belong on a lawn mower - not a diesel tractor - and the main reason is not that they are cheap - SURFACE area !!!!!! There is not a lot of area to filter the fuel - as many of us have seen, the youtube oil filter people have cut many a 100 oil filters apart and one of the things they harp on is the SIZE of the medium that filters..... and the material too.

Riddle me this on these kubota filters........ how is it possible that the second filter is the exact same micron level as the first? SO - if some gets buy the first filter.... and goes through the fuel pump - do we expect it to get caught by the second? THE second filter should neeeevvver get dirty!!!

I know - the ol' just in case reasoning ..........second thought ......why place the first filter in such a PITA location to get too? Could they not place it RIGHT before the pump? nevermind ..... my rant is over ...

I have never had a problem with either filter - and have replace #1 with a racor ...... and yes I have a 70 micron filter that cost me 80 bucks to leave the large crap from heading into the tank......

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Riddle me this on these kubota filters........ how is it possible that the second filter is the exact same micron level as the first? SO - if some gets buy the first filter.... and goes through the fuel pump - do we expect it to get caught by the second? THE second filter should neeeevvver get dirty!!!
The second filter's purpose is to protect the injection pump from any failure/debris from the electric lift pump.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I really like the tractor but it seems that fuel problems are fairly common.

I have a 1980 volvo marine diesel that has lived through 40 years of marine use and the last thing that I worry about is the fuel system

I also have a 1994 deutz diesel powered air compressor and the last think I worry about in that is the fuel system. From my cummins to my CATs the fuel system is my last concern.

On my 6.0 powerstroke and my duramax I don't worry but I know that they need more maintenance then traditional diesels due to epa regulations.

This kubota doesn't physical look much different than the motor in my old bx2200 with a bad engine. (purchased that way I plan to do a motor swap) It doesn't seem to have any epa modifications.

Again still learning the tractor but I don't have any other diesel powered equipment that I get conceaned about having old fuel.

I can assure everyone that the fuel isn't old and that it doesn't have algae in it.

Thanks
Most likely, the tank outlet is being plugged by something that got into the tank from the big hole in the top.
I have removed leaves, dragonflies, crickets, grasshoppers, small frogs, sticks, grass, additive bottle seals, rocks, rags, etc from BX and ZD fuel tanks. Every time, the customer asks, "How did that get in there?" and several, "Why wouldn't warranty cover that?"
Every item on that list got into the tank through the big hole at the top.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Once on the bench, compressed air did ! The only hard party wasthe 3pt fix knob. It's 'locked' onto the shaft by a hidden roll pin. Goto parts, get the picture ,it kinda shows how it's attached.
That knob just pulls off, pushes on, I have removed them many times.

Deshet

Equipment
BX2360 and BX2230
Feb 17, 2021
Virginia Beach, Virginia
The plan seems to have worked
I let the wet dry vac suck through the fill side of the fuel tank
I blow compressed air back through the feed line for about 10 mins
I let the wet dry vacuum suck for about 3 hours.
I used the tractor for about 2 hours and it seems to be fixed.

Here is a video of what I did