2009 L3400 VS Ford 3000

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
I have a 40 yr old Ford 3000 with power steering , very strong old tractor . 2x4 no loader . 42 hp ? with 6 ft equipment . With bald back tires . so it spins under heavy load .

Looking to buy a used 2009 kubota L3400 , 4x4 , FEL , R4 tires , like new , with all new 5 ft equipment . Is the L3400 ( 35 HP ) going to feel weak compared to my 3000 ? I heard the 4x4 really makes a smaller tractor feel like it has more power ? Going to demo it soon . . Wanting to go to a more compact tractor . I have two 3 acre lots , so I have to trailer it alot . Also wanting to pick up small jobs with new 4x4 tractor with loader . Thanks for any info !

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Short answer... Yes to both.
35 hp in any color tractor today is not the same as 35 or 40, 40 years ago. Mostly because the older tractors usually ran a lot slower and the hp rating was made by having really good engine torque numbers. Today's compact/sub-compact lines with a 40 +/- hp rating also tend to have a lot less iron in them, so a "farming" type job you might tackle with a 40 hp tractor from 1960 might be a little much for the smaller framed tractor. It is true that the front wheel assist will make the tractor "seem" to be a little more than what it really is.
On the other hand... Two 3 acre lots? A 35 hp 4X4 ought to be plenty, it also would seem to fit your other stated objectives.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
If you like the Ford 3000 you will love the L3400. Don't let the size fool you.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would reccomend getting the tires filled on your new tractor. If you are used to the way your Ford acts and feels the Kubota may get you in a spot that you don't want to be in. In 2wd it won't be a lack of power to do the job but a lack of traction. It's very easy to get in trouble in 2wd. You will have a new advantage over your Ford that you are going to enjoy. In 4wd going down a hill when you hit the brakes it will stop. They will apply brakes to the front tires also when the 4wd is ingaged.

kubotaman

Equipment
l295 dt
Jan 16, 2011
pelion sc
if you are going with the loader the 4 wd definitely makes a difference . i think you will be pleased with the performance

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I agree with what has been said, especially Bulldog's comment about filling the tires (be sure to fill front & back). I'd much rather use my L35 (4WD & 35 hp) than my Dad's 4030SU (2WD & 48 hp). It is smaller and much more nimble. I can handle some 6' equipment, but stick with mostly 5'. Besides, you get a FEL with the L3400 and you'll wonder how you got by without it after you've had it for a few months. I say go for it! Good luck and keep us posted.

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
I agree with what has been said, especially Bulldog's comment about filling the tires (be sure to fill front & back). I'd much rather use my L35 (4WD & 35 hp) than my Dad's 4030SU (2WD & 48 hp). It is smaller and much more nimble. I can handle some 6' equipment, but stick with mostly 5'. Besides, you get a FEL with the L3400 and you'll wonder how you got by without it after you've had it for a few months. I say go for it! Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for info !! I hope to close deal in a couple of weeks ( he is out of town ) . I just work around yard , I have about 8 driveways / parking lots that I grade . Do small dirt work/ gravel work . The Ford has been great , but wanting something smaller and newer 4x4 with FEL . I also like that the L3400 is coming with like new 5 foot equipment ( EVERYTHING that I would need ) . So I will be selling my Ford 3000 with a 6 ft box blade and a 6 ft bushog . I am going to KEEP my 6 ft Bushog BRAND grooming mower , its a 4 post with roller , so its easy to pull it . I can not wait to use FEL !!!!

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I'm sure you'll love the L3400. I will very soon be buying it's replacement - the L3800. I don't have the unit yet - but EVERYONE says that once you have 4WD - you'll never be without it. I'll be getting the R4 tires too - I feel they are a nice compromise between the aggressive AG tires and the semi-bald Turf tires. For loading them - use "Rim Guard" or some other non-harmful method of loading them. (There's lots of threads about that subject.)

Good Luck !!

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
Got 2 hr Demo today grading 5 driveways ( LONG !!!! ) Tractor did great , it is weaker , but I LOVED the L3400 !!!!!

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
Went to a 40 HP again !! Bought a John Deere 4105 with 300cx loader , 4x4 , HST , very clean 278hrs

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hey Bulldog you think it's worth filling the L3000's front tires?
I think filling the front tires for added traction is fine. I may be off base but I don't like it for the sole purpose of adding weight. I have a friend with a 393 Massey (no loader) and with a 10' bushhog the front end is to light. It has big wide front tires and he filled them with water/antifreeze mix and that did take care of his problem. The thing I don't like about doing that instead of adding weights to the front is the frame is now pulling up on the axle instead of riding on it. I don't know if this will end up causing any type of wear problem to the axle mount or in the bearings but it looks like it would throw the geometry off on the way everything is suppose to be setting. I know it's much cheaper the weight the front of a tractor with fluid but in the long run who knows. Maybe Vic and some of the other tech guys can shed some light on this for us. I bought 1000 lbs of weights for my 9000 and they cost me about $900. I could have added almost that much by filling the front tires and the cost for doing that is about $150 locally right now. I hope I didn't waste my money buying weights.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Bulldog, Your wallet and your tires will eventually thank you for buying iron weights.
JD, Case-IH, Titan Wheel (major ag wheel manufacturer), and Michelin all suggest avoiding liquid ballast if possible.

A 3 year European-Union/Spanish study found that liquid ballast did not improve the working rate of a tractor and actually resulted in an increased fuel consumption rate of 5-10%/Hectare.

By the way - The maximum liquid fill recommended by most tractor/tire manufacturers if necessary is now only 40% fill (valve in the 4 o'clock position), rather than the 75% that it used to be.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
I like loaded tires and wheel weights. This keeps the weight off the wheel bearings and front axle pivot point. If I need more weight on the front I hang weights. Also the weight on the wheels helps keep a lower center of gravity.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That some good info Kubota Newbie, I felt like it was the correct choice. I'm just not a fan of using water in the front for weight. Those 100 lbs weights are some times hard to handle but I even solved that problem. I made a little tool that I hook on my over head hoist and let it do the heavy lifting for me. Use the brain and save the back works for me.