2007 L48 Slow Speed High Gear Going Forward

dclynch

Equipment
L48TLB
Nov 19, 2019
NJ
New to the forum. Just purchased a used 07 L48. States low hours (260) and machine seems to be clean to reflect this. Cannot be 100% sure as always. Speed in high gear moving forward is slow at best. Reverse is very fast in high gear. Trans service is recorded on filters as being done at 202 hrs. last year. My thoughts are to do a full service (filters and fluid) on trans to be safe. Anyone have suggestions as to cause of slow speed in high forward and what else I might check?

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Does it only happen in high gear? Forward and reverse should be the same speed.
If it happens in all ranges, I'd think the linkage is out of adjustment.

Welcome to the forum!

dclynch

Equipment
L48TLB
Nov 19, 2019
NJ
Thanks. Reverse is functioning well. Very quick in high gear. I looked through forum more and see linkage adjustments being referenced in this situation. I don't have a WSM for the unit yet and will need to look at this once I do. Appreciate your suggestion.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
It's good G.rid posted a link on linkage adjustment. The extra frame on the L48 makes it less handy, but with patience it can be done. With only 260 hours the issue is more likely to be something simple on the outside. Forward and reverse use the same internal components so the issue is likely in the parts that move/guide them, most of which are on the outside. Good luck.

p.s. Some related reading here.

dclynch

Equipment
L48TLB
Nov 19, 2019
NJ
Hoping so. Won't be able to check as it's dark when home from work until I have a day off. Shelter for the unit is next on the long list of things needed. I did see this post on the split repair, thanks. Not ready for that kind of work unless it's necessary and during warmer weather.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
EDIT

With engine OFF make sure the pedal pivot is ok and free to move.

The diagram below is page 3-M16 from the L48 WSM showing the various linkage parts. There are 10 items to check, when I was figuring mine out I added arrows to the drawing showing the direction things move to go "forward".

With engine OFF look for anything restricting motion. Lever 5 should be vertical in neutral and swing both ways with spring-return to center. If needed disconnect lever 10 from 5 and verify 5 swings equally about 35 degrees CW and CCW.

Let us know what you find. Best luck, Dick B

Attachments

Last edited: