2 WD front axle pivot lube

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I have a 2016 L2501 2WD. On the front axle pivot there is no grease fitting...only a plug on the rear part. The front consists of the adjustment bolts.
Can't find any info on this.
Should I remove the plug and attempt to grease ? Wonder why a fitting is not there? It is a big pivot point and surely must be lubricated !
What thread is this plug ? Roughly looking like a 1/8" pipe plug but it aint that.
Thanks for any guidance on this.
The book makes no mention of this....only the 4 WD.

Thanks much
Pete

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The plug on the rear, and the bolt on the front are there to remove slop, they are what sets the front to rear travel limits.

There is no provision for greasing the front pivot on a 2wd, why I don't know.

You would have to remove the front axle and either manually grease the pivots or drill and tap the cases to have both and input and output for the grease, as only giving it an input would blow the seals out if it.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Thanks Wolfman.....I don't see how the plug in the rear is part of the slop removing stuff...but if you say so. It is just a little plug. I will take it out again and stick a wire or something in there to see how deep it is and if any grease is in there.
Thank you for your help. Maybe I can lube it with an oil can....ha ha ha.
Pete in MS

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The plug on the rear pushes on the trust plate forward and acts as a thrust bearing, the bolt in the front pushes on the trust plate rearward acting as a thrust bearing and taking the slop out of the pivot.

If you didn't have the plug and thrust plate in the back the axle would wear the rear case out.

The drawings look like the plates have holes in them so I guess in theory you could remove the bolt and plug and squirt some grease in the hole then reinsert the plug and bolt.
I will caution you, if there is not a hole in the plate and there is no where for the grease to go, you could very easily crack the case or blow out the seal.

Attachments

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There can’t be that much movement in there to wear anything out in the predicted life (20 yrs?) of the tractor. If it was packed at the factory with full-synthetic grease it likely would not need further service for that kind of time-period, I’d guess.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
The plug on the rear, and the bolt on the front are there to remove slop, they are what sets the front to rear travel limits.

There is no provision for greasing the front pivot on a 2wd, why I don't know.

You would have to remove the front axle and either manually grease the pivots or drill and tap the cases to have both and input and output for the grease, as only giving it an input would blow the seals out if it.
I trust Wolfman especially with the drawings.
My old L185 2wd does have a grease fitting and it is on left side.
I drop my blade to lift front end and then tip left wheel down and there is a passageway for a grease gun to get to the fitting.
Odd they would not have one.
David