2.5 gal YELLOW fuel can? (maybe Orange?)

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
I use the 5 gallon no-spill plastic can like lots of people. Even thought my filler neck is low, I still only put 3 gallons in it at a time since I don't have the strength to do much any more.
That is just way too simple to be practical. :) Why didn't I thunk it? Easy solution for the OP.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That is just way too simple to be practical. :) Why didn't I thunk it? Easy solution for the OP.
That is what I currently do, was just trying to avoid the awkward, bulky 5gal can, as I have a long reach over FEL & under the hood.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
I'm not familiar with the B7100DT but it appears the fuel tank is under the hood? On-line some folks have added a fuel hatch in the hood. Otherwise, the solutions with a pump and a hose seem to be a good solution.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
B7100DT but it appears the fuel tank is under the hood?
This is correct, one of the reasons it's a pain to fill, especially with a FEL to reach over/around.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My M9 open station has a pizzer fuel fill (and it holds almost 26 gallons). The fuel filler is in the back next to the tool box which is pretty high up (about 5 feet off the ground. No problem filling from the bulk tank with it's 12 volt pump, but BIG problem in the field if I need to fill it from 5 gallon fuel cans as there is no practical place to stand and reach the filler and hold a full 5 gallon fuel can and at my age, 5 gallons of fuel can get real heavy quick so I bought a couple of those 10 buck Harbor freight battery fuel pumps. Bought a couple because I read they have a habit of petering out pretty quick.

So far, no issue other than they eat batteries and 2 D sized batteries of a quality brand like Duracell are pricey so I invested in 4 rechargeable D size batteries and a charger so when the batteries get weak, I can switch out for a newely charged set and put the depleted ones in the charger, all good so long as I remember to put full ones in before I need to fuel in the field.

If I could find an easier way, I'd be all over it.

My cab M9, the filler is down low in front of the cab in the left side and you can prop the fuel can on your knee with your foot on the step and fill that.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Every time I complain about the 5 gal cans, my wife reminds me that if I didn't "play on that *%^$# thing so much", I wouldn't have to keep filling it up :)

Reactions: 1 user

JPB7745

Equipment
L2501, B8200 and Ford 3000
Aug 27, 2018
Okatie, SC
After much diesel on the tractor and ground i put the 5gal can on the hood on top of a towel and use the "jiggle" suction hose and fill the tank in about 3-5 mins with no spill. Just my routine.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Tuff Jug 5.0 gal. Tuff Jug - Yellow with Yellow Ripper Spout YURY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GR8NYU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BCNLDbCDSK0MF

How about one of these? The can can be completely upside down, and won’t leak till you drop it in the filler hole. You don’t need to hold it up, other than to get it over the hood and remove. Dumps 5 gallons in 38 seconds?!?

Fella at work has one for his B2650 and raves about it. I just ordered one. We shall see if it gets here before my new tractor...

Yeah, $46 is a lot for a gas can. But if it makes it better for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDJAfdSC9o

Neat looking way of supporting 5 gallon can
That above is ingenious!!!
I am definitely making one of those 'platform' items, to hold the gas can up there. Am a fairly fit 49 y.o., not a wimp, and I truly was really frustrated with how difficult it is to hold a gas can over my MX5200... It's so damn high, and then the gas tank filler is so far in from the Loader arm, the standing area of the deck, etc... Terrible design for them! Unless you have some type of fuel-pump / hose system, this is ridiculously difficult to fill-up with gas cans....

Now, to the O.P. on this thread -
Am a super-nooby here, so my I understand that my opinion may not account for much, but this is my recommendation.

Why spend extra money to find a 'special yellow' 2.5 gallon gas can, just because it will be your diesel can?
Why not just use your 5-gallon Red can, put several strips of Yellow Duct Tape on it, and call it good..? Spend $3 on a 100 foot roll of tape, and if you get gas on the side of the can, the tape starts to peel, rip it off, clean it up, and put on some new tape! Easy-peasy, done, and the Yellow tape should keep you from making a mistake of putting the diesel, in non-diesel vehicle!

And, as the other guys mentioned, just don't put the full 5-gallons in, and still use the larger sized can, for when you may need the full 5-gallon for something else, and not something that is high / elevated, as the tractor. That way again, you're not wasting the money you've already spent on the can.

Hope that may be another beneficial idea!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Allow me to clarify a few things- I currently use a yellow 5gal can (pic #1) with about 2gals in it. In order to add fuel, I must lift the hood and work under it, while reaching over the FEL frame. I can't use a can that dumps 5gals in 38 seconds, the filler neck strainer screen won't accept that much that quickly, nor could it stand vertically under the hood. I currently have several 5gal cans (pic #2) from my duning days, and would like to get a 2.5 or 2.7gal version of this style can, preferably in yellow. That would allow me to use the selection of various style & length nozzles I already have for the larger cans. In addition, the smaller cans are virtually the same height as the larger ones, making them "long reach" and lighter. The whole reason for this post was to see if someone knew of a source for that style can, in 2.5 gal, & yellow. I like the idea of a big tank with an electric pump, but in my current situation, (the caregiver thing) I am probably not able to use 5gals per year, so that would be a large investment that would go to waste. Someday, if I get to live there with the tractor, I'll probably go that route.
Right now I will probably just go with the orange 2.7gal can from Cycle Gear, (3rd pic) seems like the easiest solution in my current situation.
I hope all the suggestions and solutions will help others out, and thanks for all the input.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The one I'm looking for is the type in the third pic above.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
I'm really liking the idea of the jiggle siphon and a wood shelf on the FEL arm now for this application. Looks like the FEL arm might not be level, so either compensate when making the shelf or raise the FEL arm to level first. Then, any 2.5 gallon Diesel can works because you don't care what kind of nozzle it has.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
I too, use the 5 gallon race jugs, I ended up gettign all green, have 4 of them and I associate green with diesel because of the filling stations. I know yellow is the standard.
JEGS has your need, 2.5 gallon jugs and even in all colors including yellow. These caps are standardized threads, so if you have a pour spout on the cap now, you can use that cap on the smaller jug for pouring.

JEGS smaller 2.5 gallon jugs in all colors

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
I too, use the 5 gallon race jugs, I ended up gettign all green, have 4 of them and I associate green with diesel because of the filling stations. I know yellow is the standard.
JEGS has your need, 2.5 gallon jugs and even in all colors including yellow. These caps are standardized threads, so if you have a pour spout on the cap now, you can use that cap on the smaller jug for pouring.

JEGS smaller 2.5 gallon jugs in all colors
Ummm.....
The video on that link, the guy clearly states that these jugs are not for 'flammable liquids, like gas and kerosene"....
These are listed as 'Utility Jugs', and he mentions things like them being used for Water.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Ummm.....
The video on that link, the guy clearly states that these jugs are not for 'flammable liquids, like gas and kerosene"....
These are listed as 'Utility Jugs', and he mentions things like them being used for Water.

And that is because the jugs do not have the listed and approved spill-proof spouts that are required now. Been this way for some years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCox

Equipment
B8200D
Oct 12, 2019
Wexford, Pennsylvania
I see the thread is old but in case its used for reference in the future, I post this. Eagle Manufacturing has yellow diesel cans in 1/2, 1, 2, 2-1/2 and 5 gallon type 1 safety cans.

website is eagle dash mfg dot com slash catalog slash safety-cans slash type-i-safety-cans dot aspx

or eagle manufacturing type 1 safety cans in your browser.