2.5 gal YELLOW fuel can? (maybe Orange?)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Because I'm not as tough (or young) as I used to be, fueling my B7100 with a 5gal fuel can is a PITA. In addition to having to hold up that heavy can, I must reach over/past the FEL, and the filler neck of my tank has a fine strainer screen, so it must be filled very slowly. I think it would be much easier if I can get a 2.5gal (or 2.7gal) fuel can like this:
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/tuff-jug-utility-jug
My problem is I cannot find this smaller style can in YELLOW; every other color, but not in yellow. (for diesel) I might have to buy one in ORANGE, for Kubota.
Any body know a source? Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Getting up in years myself I have found a better way to utilize the 5 gallon can.
First of all....I just don't fill it full. It is a pain to wrestle around.
I am not 100% sure how your machine fills. Mine has a fuel cap in the center of the hood right in front of the dash.
I put a kneeling pad on the hood, set the can up there and use one of the pump / siphon hoses which came with the once popular radiant kerosene heaters.
If you have less fuel in the can than your tank needs you can pump it up and walk away from it. It gets all but a pint or so out so the rest is an easy pour.
I suggest a poly can rather than metal. It won't scratch the machine and it has a better handle. If you go this route, make sure you clamp the hose in place on the filler neck. They are flexible but tend to want to pull out after they empty.
Consider removing that screen. If you are the only one filling it I doubt you will pour any garbage into it.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The filler neck on mine is under the hood, so you have to work under that also.
The pic below is a bit deceiving, it shows more room than there really is. The can I want is poly, and I have several of that style in the 5gal size, along with a selection of fill hoses already. The one I currently use is like the yellow one below, usually only half full, but it is awkward and has a short reach.

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Historically most diesel cans seem to have been yellow. I have seen a few in blue. There are paints suitable for plastics. Have you considered painting a two or two and a half gallon can yellow? You can also get battery powered pumps for transferring diesel from the can on the ground to the tractor tank.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
The filler neck on mine is under the hood, so you have to work under that also.
The pic below is a bit deceiving, it shows more room than there really is. The can I want is poly, and I have several of that style in the 5gal size, along with a selection of fill hoses already. The one I currently use is like the yellow one below, usually only half full, but it is awkward and has a short reach.
I usually only fill my 5 gal can to 3 gal plus I have the EZ Pour Nozzle which allows for any easier fill. https://www.amazon.com/stores/EZ-POUR/Homepage/page/400EB8CA-490C-476C-B358-FEEBF30459C4

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I only buy 10 L / 2.5G at a time and yes, NO smaller YELLOW jugs here either ! So, I wrapped YELLOW 'warning' or 'crime scene' tape around the handles of the 2 red jugs I use. I also wrapped some plumber solder as well... 'D' for solDer, 'D' for Diesel. Now,after trying to tidy up(yeah....go ahead..laugh), I put gas in one steel storage box, diesel in another.
The older you get the more you need visual clues !

Jay

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Eventually I want a setup like mdhughes, post 6032:
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6612&page=604
but as little as I get to use the tractor now, it would be a wasted investment.
Maybe I'll just buy the orange can and live with it.
That's how I do it...I have a 60 gallon wide but shallow tank that fits in the bed of my truck...I leave it there permanently. I have a 15 gallon per minute Fill-Rite pump that operates off the truck's wiring, and there is a large filter inline with the pump. The tank has a locking cap and a fuel gauge. My truck happens to have those factory "auxiliary" switches which only have power when you turn the key on, but you could wire a similar switch inside if you truck didn't have that feature. This prevents someone from rolling up to your truck when it is unattended and helping themselves to 60 gallons of diesel.

It might seem like a wasted investment (and it will be an investment...I have close to $800 in my setup) but to me it is worth every penny. A few years ago I was filling my tractors with 5 gallon cans, and the fill was located up above the hood. Those things are heavy in the hot sun, and one of my tractors takes 10 gallons while the other takes 13.5. Granted, I think I use mine more often than you use yours, but still. As a side benefit, if you heat your home with home heating oil, you can fill your own tank with off-road diesel (same thing) for often a lot less money than delivery, and do it whenever you feel like it. Or, if you have a diesel pickup, you can fill your tank with non-dyed diesel and have a bunch of spare fuel on board.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I purchased this can for my dad

https://smile.amazon.com/SureCan-Di...qid=1569930422&sprefix=deisal+,aps,160&sr=8-5

Yes, it is a 5 gallon can, he was wanting something smaller. I pointed out just because it is 5 gallons, doesn't mean you have to put 5 gallons in it. He fills it half full, he is able to lift it on the hood of his MF and then it can sit there while the fuel goes in. He then uses other cans to fill this one back up allowing him to fuel his tractor without all the strain.

Reactions: 1 user

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
In this day and age with the safety devices on fuel cans, the best ones I have used by far are the "no spill" brand. Here is a link ti the 2 1/2 gal one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-No-Spill-Gas-Can-2-5-gallon-EPA-Approved/912112074

As far as diesel goes, they seem to make only yellow cans in the 5 gal size, but I don't see why you couldn't use a red can for diesel especially if you marked it very clearly, maybe get some yellow duct tape on the side and write DIESEL in big letters.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
I'm a big fan of no-spill cans. Unfortunately, they don't produce a 2.5 gallon for diesel. You could use a red can and spray paint it yellow, I reckon.

For my tractor, I drilled a 1/8 diameter hole through the safety wings on the push button and use a brass rod to hold down the button. Provided I'm below half a tank, I can walk away from the tractor and just let it fill.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I use the 5 gallon no-spill plastic can like lots of people. Even thought my filler neck is low, I still only put 3 gallons in it at a time since I don't have the strength to do much any more.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Because I'm not as tough (or young) as I used to be, fueling my B7100 with a 5gal fuel can is a PITA. In addition to having to hold up that heavy can, I must reach over/past the FEL, and the filler neck of my tank has a fine strainer screen, so it must be filled very slowly. I think it would be much easier if I can get a 2.5gal (or 2.7gal) fuel can like this:
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/tuff-jug-utility-jug
My problem is I cannot find this smaller style can in YELLOW; every other color, but not in yellow. (for diesel) I might have to buy one in ORANGE, for Kubota.
Any body know a source? Thanks.

Pick up one these, https://www.amazon.com/Original-Saf...ocphy=9005201&hvtargid=pla-634463345997&psc=1

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Lots of good ideas, thanks.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I use the 1.25 gallon (red!) no spill can and also have the fine plastic screen in the fuel tank opening. The fuel fill is in front of the dash and comes out through the hood. It is easy to set up on the hood with the nozzle into the tank fill and the press the flow button on the can. When too much foam builds up just release the button and let it drain down into the tank.

I don’t use much fuel so it doesn’t bother me but I would have gotten the 2.5 gallon can if it had been available. That way I would have more free space in the can to avoid those nasty leaks around the can to nozzle junction on the way home from the fuel station.

One other nice thing is that the opening into the fuel can is large so you can see the fuel level in the can as you fill it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Like you I can't suspend a 5 gallon can over my hood to refuel. So I have three cans for diesel; a yellow 5 gallon plastic, a red 2 1/2 gallon steel and a red 2 1/2 gallon plastic container both with DIESEL written with black permanent marker on every side and the tops. I only fill from the 2 1/2 gallon containers, when they're empty I refill them both with the 5 gallon can.