1st Post - Tilt Steering issue

16trees

Equipment
LX 2610
Oct 8, 2020
Tazewell, TN
Greetings! I recently purchased a new LX2610 (open station). I have a small issue that I have tried searching for others on google and I didn't really find any, but it did lead me to this forum! Using the forums search yielded nothing useful so here I am, making my first post to see if anyone has any advice or can point me to a thread that has the answer.

I have the tilt steering feature, with the pedal release the wheel at my left foot next to the breaks. I step on the pedal and I adjust the wheel, let off the pedal and the wheel locks into the new position, as expected. The problem comes when I'm operating and randomly the wheel just pops back to the top position, almost like I have hit the pedal to release it. The first time I thought, maybe my size 13 snuck over and hit it since I'm still new to the tractor. It kept happening randomly and I realized I wasn't hitting it. I couldn't duplicate the problem no matter what I did, bumping the pedal with my boot, shaking the wheel, etc. It just seemed random. It's become very annoying. The dealership didn't have any over the phone suggestions like I'd hoped, but they offered to come get it and fix it. I was really hoping that it would be one of those, "oh, yeah, that happens, its 'insert easy fix here'".

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Had the exact same thing happen on mine and thought exactly what you did, I was hitting it. Asked dealer about it, never heard of anything like that... I ended up putting a double spring I found at work in there, seems to work well.

You have to pull the dash up and remove a panel to access it, but it was pretty simple.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Greetings! I recently purchased a new LX2610 (open station). I have a small issue that I have tried searching for others on google and I didn't really find any, but it did lead me to this forum! Using the forums search yielded nothing useful so here I am, making my first post to see if anyone has any advice or can point me to a thread that has the answer.

I have the tilt steering feature, with the pedal release the wheel at my left foot next to the breaks. I step on the pedal and I adjust the wheel, let off the pedal and the wheel locks into the new position, as expected. The problem comes when I'm operating and randomly the wheel just pops back to the top position, almost like I have hit the pedal to release it. The first time I thought, maybe my size 13 snuck over and hit it since I'm still new to the tractor. It kept happening randomly and I realized I wasn't hitting it. I couldn't duplicate the problem no matter what I did, bumping the pedal with my boot, shaking the wheel, etc. It just seemed random. It's become very annoying. The dealership didn't have any over the phone suggestions like I'd hoped, but they offered to come get it and fix it. I was really hoping that it would be one of those, "oh, yeah, that happens, its 'insert easy fix here'".

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!
Could it be the latch needs to break in? What I mean is the paint and newness, lack of wear keeping the latch from hooking together as it should. I remember hooking up the new tractor to the new PTO shaft and think this ought to be so much easier cause everything is new. Wrong, wrong, wrong after a few hook ups and some lube they did work much better.

Maybe open it up to get some spray lube in there and break it in. I know it is not the instant fix we all want but I think it will fix itself with a little lube.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Ill go along with BigG on the lube thing. I was having a similar problem with my PTO until I applied a bit of lube and got things sliding smoothly. I could engage the PTO, begin mowing, and it would disengage on its own. It was only partially latching. Your steering could be only partially latching then jumping off latch randomly. It's possible the extra spring could fix it but I'd try lubrication first.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My B2650 is pretty much the same machine, its tilt lock took many hours working in to have it reliably lock into position. I got used to using my left toe to lift the foot control up after using it to release the tilt. That seemed to complete the engagement enough to keep it in place and not pop back as you describe. I use the tilt every time I use the tractor and by now after 400 hours the toe lift isn't necessary anymore.

TonySchumacher

Equipment
At home: Kubota LX2610hsdc, CAT 262D, attachments for both...
Oct 21, 2020
I have a lx2610 CAB that I had apart today to install rear flood lights. I know that there are differences, but I was amazed to see all of the adjustments that were available under the "dash" (for the e-brake, tilt wheel, etc.). Have you looked under there and taken a look at all? I know that everything should come to you user ready, but sometimes minor adjustments are needed, and are many times easier performed by the user than the dealer...

cleo101

Equipment
New Kubota LX3310
Dec 4, 2015
Thorndale, Ontario - Canada
Greetings all, so I just upgraded from a B2620 to a new LX3310, just got it delivered yesterday and I've experience the exact same problem with tilt steering popping back up within minutes of driving this thing :) I will wait it out a bit to see if it will work itself in, if not I will probably check it out and either grease it or add a spring as some have suggested ? anyway if I do find some solution to this problem I'll make sure to post about it :)

jimmyob

Equipment
LX3310, loader, forks&spade, grapple, post puller, stump bucket, WM8H, brush hog
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
Greetings all, so I just upgraded from a B2620 to a new LX3310, just got it delivered yesterday and I've experience the exact same problem with tilt steering popping back up within minutes of driving this thing :) I will wait it out a bit to see if it will work itself in, if not I will probably check it out and either grease it or add a spring as some have suggested ? anyway if I do find some solution to this problem I'll make sure to post about it :)
I have the lx3310 with about 130 hours on it and it seems to have become worse. Guess I'll look under the hood and try one of y'alls suggestions. It's actually a little dangerous if you're in a precarious spot and it happens. And it has.
Thanks!