1989 b9200 4x4 question

Bb99100

Equipment
B9200
Feb 25, 2021
Ghent ny
I have a 1989 b9200 gear driven 4x4. It seems as if the pto lever and 4x4 lever will only work together so basically it will it will only go into 4 wheel drive when the pto is engaged and vice versa. Should the two levers work independently or is it meant to work together? It’s a little rusty and I can’t tell how the levers should work and can’t get them off of the shaft to try to figure it out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not that familiar with your model but they should work independently of each other

Bb99100

Equipment
B9200
Feb 25, 2021
Ghent ny
Not that familiar with your model but they should work independently of each other
Yeah I was thinking that. Just wanted to be sure before I put the effort into freeing it up. Maybe a little heat will get it moving again. I’ve been spraying it everyday for a week and it’s still really stiff. I can disconnect the linkage from the lever to engage or disengage the 4x4 that way but the lever is just stuck to the pto lever. Both levers work freely on the shaft but I just can’t move them separately

Bb99100

Equipment
B9200
Feb 25, 2021
Ghent ny
Yeah I was thinking that. Just wanted to be sure before I put the effort into freeing it up. Maybe a little heat will get it moving again. I’ve been spraying it everyday for a week and it’s still really stiff. I can disconnect the linkage from the lever to engage or disengage the 4x4 that way but the lever is just stuck to the pto lever. Both levers work freely on the shaft but I just can’t move them separately. Maybe even a little die grinder and kind of follow around where the levers meet. I forget how much room there is to work but I don’t remember there being a lot

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yeah I was thinking that. Just wanted to be sure before I put the effort into freeing it up. Maybe a little heat will get it moving again. I’ve been spraying it everyday for a week and it’s still really stiff. I can disconnect the linkage from the lever to engage or disengage the 4x4 that way but the lever is just stuck to the pto lever. Both levers work freely on the shaft but I just can’t move them separately
post a couple more word posts and then post a picture of the problem levers and shaft

What are you spraying on the joint?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would suggest you use a better penetrating oil like PB Blaster, Kroil, deep creep.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think I see a split between the two levers so I think that is where you’re sticking together. I think I also see a plate with two bolts holding it on near that shaft into the tractor. Could that be removed to allow you better access to that area?

I see some rust so I suspect that they may be rusted together and you will have to get them separated again.

Have you looked at an illustrated parts list, that shows they are independent.
A85A8130-6364-4154-8FF6-7E74353EA424.png

Last edited:

Bb99100

Equipment
B9200
Feb 25, 2021
Ghent ny
Yes. I wasn’t sure if both levers were splined or fixed on the shaft or just the pto lever and the front drive lever was supposed to spin freely over the shaft