1973 Case 580B

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
Hey all. I know it isn't orange but it's close. I've picked up a new toy for a good price that needs work. It has the G188D diesel with the 4 speed power shuttle transmission. It came with a front loader that doesn't leak and a backhoe that leaks like a sieve. It also came with an oil leak directly into the #1 cylinder exhaust, and a leaking injection pump. The brakes have also appeared to have retired and left the country. My work is cut out for me, but in the end, it will more than satisfy my needs around the property once I get it patched up.

The biggest issues I'm running into with this thing is finding parts. Trying to go through the dealer and many items that should be easy to find (i.e. head gasket, valve stem seals) are discontinued. The 'aftermarket' is lacking at best from what I've been able to locate. These tractors came with 3 different transmission options and 2 engine options. If any of you here have a reputable Case Industrial parts dealers (online and shipping preferred), let me know. I checked with Messicks, but they're only Case Agriculture.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey all. I know it isn't orange but it's close. I've picked up a new toy for a good price that needs work. It has the G188D diesel with the 4 speed power shuttle transmission. It came with a front loader that doesn't leak and a backhoe that leaks like a sieve. It also came with an oil leak directly into the #1 cylinder exhaust, and a leaking injection pump. The brakes have also appeared to have retired and left the country. My work is cut out for me, but in the end, it will more than satisfy my needs around the property once I get it patched up.

The biggest issues I'm running into with this thing is finding parts. Trying to go through the dealer and many items that should be easy to find (i.e. head gasket, valve stem seals) are discontinued. The 'aftermarket' is lacking at best from what I've been able to locate. These tractors came with 3 different transmission options and 2 engine options. If any of you here have a reputable Case Industrial parts dealers (online and shipping preferred), let me know. I checked with Messicks, but they're only Case Agriculture.
Those WERE good machines in their day.
49 years later.......not so much.
Be very careful........it can become a money pit, before you realize it!

Fix it if you can ..... "for a good price".
When you decide that it needs to be gone, it will have little to no resale value.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
maybe ???

I googled 'g188d' found lots of it's , this was 1st one...

Most 2wd BH get bought, used to
dig new house,clear land, then resold to the next guy to

do the MINIMUM to get her ,'up and running'....
ANY 'in working condition' BH has a value, especially in today's 'economy' !

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
maybe ???

Unfortunately, "the MINIMUM" can be much more expensive than originally anticipated...,,,thus the "money pit" issue.

Reactions: 1 user

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
maybe ???

Yeah that's most likely what I'll end up going with. I've found a lot of parts but typically the only fitment specifics listed are that the kits fit the 580B. Since it has 2 different engine options (gas and diesel), and both engines are the same displacement, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That and most don't have a list of what parts are included in the kit. It may be pictured, but that's not necessarily what's being shipped. I'll likely double check the return policy then take the chance.

The BH is going to take the most to get it not leaking. Just a swivel valve for it is $400+. That's dealer prices, but I also don't want to cobble together with whatever happens to fit. And all the hinge pins are shot, holes are all wollered out. She's tired, but still has plenty of life left.

I'm excited to dig in (pun intended), but I also don't want to deal with a bunch of returns when I get parts indented for the gas engine just becasue they list the part fitting the 580B.

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah that's most likely what I'll end up going with. I've found a lot of parts but typically the only fitment specifics listed are that the kits fit the 580B. Since it has 2 different engine options (gas and diesel), and both engines are the same displacement, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That and most don't have a list of what parts are included in the kit. It may be pictured, but that's not necessarily what's being shipped. I'll likely double check the return policy then take the chance.

The BH is going to take the most to get it not leaking. Just a swivel valve for it is $400+. That's dealer prices, but I also don't want to cobble together with whatever happens to fit. And all the hinge pins are shot, holes are all wollered out. She's tired, but still has plenty of life left.

I'm excited to dig in (pun intended), but I also don't want to deal with a bunch of returns when I get parts indented for the gas engine just becasue they list the part fitting the 580B.
I envy your can-do spirit. Google Case 580B dismantling. They are plentiful. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Try googling Case 580B parts. There are several that come up. Here is one that is popular. Also, the brakes they had stunk, they either didn’t work or locked up the wheel when pushing the pedal.

Last edited: