13" tire on L175

oldtown

Equipment
L175, 1977 model . caroni finish mower , first choice tiller 6 scrape blade
Feb 14, 2010
Hot springs NC
why do i have 6.50 13 tires on my L175?

the manual calls for 10" turf tires and 14" ag tires?

i dont mind the 13" tire i just cant find anything other than highway tread on the 13" rim.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like a previous owner tried to cheat and save money by puting street tires and rims on the tractor.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Dusty :D uuuhhhh ditto:D LOL

What Eric said is so very likely. I work with a man who did that so he wouldn't have to pay for tractor tires. :confused: :confused: :mad:

That is just stupid when frugal people mess things up. :mad:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think there was talk on here a while back about puting automotive street tires on a tractor and if I remember correctly it was a bad idea. I think it was mentioned that the street tires are to heavy and thick and alot taller and can mess up the gears in the transmission over time.

oldtown

Equipment
Feb 14, 2010
Hot springs NC
I dont think it would be economical to trash the original rims and go buy another set just to save a buck on tires that will last for 20 years. the rims and tires appear to be original. i really dont care what size rims i have i just need new tires and would like a tread that somewhat matches the turf tires in the back. DA

oldtown

Equipment
Feb 14, 2010
Hot springs NC
i have no idea of the rim brand, they are orange and were on the tractor when i bought it 10 years ago. 6.50 x 13 does not exist in a tractor tire!! i decided to put basically the same thing back on the rims. i will keep my eyes peeled for rims/ tires with a turf tread.

i am doing a valve adjustment and have a few questions?

the manual provides instruction on valve adjustment, it does not differentiate or make mention of intake vs exhaust valves until you get to the part about adjusting the decompression and then it says to adjust the exhaust valve to a different clearance than the instructions for regular valve adjustment.

how are you supposed to adjust the E.V. through the peephole?

are all the valves adjusted to the same clearance?

also the fuel lines are rough can i use the braided kind that i use on the mercedes diesel?

is there a spec on the clear fuel lines on the tractor. i would like to replace them all.

i still have electrical issues? battery has 13.4 or so volts and i get no action when i turn the key. my original webbed ground strap had split in half so i replaced with a #2 neative battery cable, because it was short enough, cheap and had the correct ends.

how do i test the rest of the system to see where my problems are located?

the fuses are very thin, i will replace and see what happens.

the tractor has had radiator flush,
replaced radiator cap with a 7# cap from stant hope it was enough,
can some one tell me te correct pressure????
fuel, oil and air filter replaced.

seat has been recovered.

hydraulic filter cleaned, radiator screen cleaned

hopefully new tires soon.

drained tranny fluid. i have seen something on this site about some special high dollar fluid. what is it called? is it lifetime? is it recommended for this 1977 L175

can i get a sticker kit?

thanks DA

oldtown

Equipment
Feb 14, 2010
Hot springs NC
Vic i saw where you mentioned on another post that all decals are available. can you send me in the right direction?

oldtown

Equipment
Feb 14, 2010
Hot springs NC
Ok, on decals, I can help there, and with valve lash, I need to get ahold of my service manual which is back at the shop and I'm on the road!

I can report back on the weekend once I get back off road service calls!
thanks Vic, i wont be doing any work this weekend. have a good one.