1/2 gal of coolant every session?

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Howdy.

Running an l1500dt (l175) and wondering if it’s normal to put in 1/2 gal(2qts) of water every run to top off the radiator. It holds 5.6 qts total

Water will leak out of the overflow tube and eventually stop then I’m worried it’s dry and stop doing anything for fear of overheating. It never whistles but I have ear plugs in anyway so not sure I would over the engine and the plugs. It doesn’t have a temp gauge or a overflow tank. I’ll eventually add both but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Speaking of which. Is there a place on this z750 engine to put a temp sensor or will I need to go the top radiator hose method. I know others did the top radiator hose but just curious.

Thanks!

- Mike

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Mike,

several things could be going on here.....

Bad cap - for the cost, get another - typical 13 psi rated

Head gasket....hope not

overheating and boiling over - this is easy to check.

Getcha a infrared temp pointer - check the top neck and bottom neck of radiator.

Report back your findings

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No that's not normal! and putting a temp gauge on the upper radiator hose won't help you a whole lot if your losing that much fluid as the temp gauge will give you very false readings if not immersed in water.

You very likely have a bad cap, blown head gasket or a cracked head that is causing your loss.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
No that's not normal! and putting a temp gauge on the upper radiator hose won't help you a whole lot if your losing that much fluid as the temp gauge will give you very false readings if not immersed in water.

You very likely have a bad cap, blown head gasket or a cracked head that is causing your loss.

Thanks folks. I can’t find water in oil nor do I get any white smoke. I don’t seem to have any reduction in power. I’ll get the infra gun and a new cap and see if that makes a a difference.

Thanks.

-Mike

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I would check the radiator hoses for leaks. Check at the hose clamps too. If the hose clamps are not tight they will leak and you may not see evidence of the leak.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
I would check the radiator hoses for leaks. Check at the hose clamps too. If the hose clamps are not tight they will leak and you may not see evidence of the leak.

Thanks!. Hoses appear to have been replaced recently by previous owner. So s few years old. I can still see the Napa sticker on them. See no sign of leaks from around connection.

Ir temp gun on order. Going to try to get to Napa this week. Hard to make it on lunch break.

Radiator cap is original. Hoping that’s the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks!. Hoses appear to have been replaced recently by previous owner. So s few years old. I can still see the Napa sticker on them. See no sign of leaks from around connection.

Ir temp gun on order. Going to try to get to Napa this week. Hard to make it on lunch break.

Radiator cap is original. Hoping that’s the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that you mention that there are NAPA hoses on it I would suspect that to be the problem. I may be horribly wrong but I don't think that NAPA makes hoses to fit your tractor. I think that the only place to get the correct hoses is from the Kubota dealer. If what you have on your tractor right now is some NAPA universal hoses I would bet those are the problem.

Since you say that you cannot detect the leak it is likely that the fluid is escaping as steam from the top hose. If it were the bottom hose you would likely see evidence of the leak because any coolant escaping from the bottom would be in the form of liquid. Check tat top hose very carefully. Consider paying the extra money and get the correct hose from Kubota. It could also be the bottom hose but start at the top because it is the easiest to work on and is the most likely place where the leak will occur without showing evidence of the leak.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
In his first post, Mike said the coolant is coming out of an overflow. First thing I'd suspect is a weak radiator cap. Making certain the air is free-flowing through the radiator could help too.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
If a new cap doesn't fix it put 50/50 coolant in the radiator. You'll smell it in the exhaust if it's a head gasket.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Also note that the thermosiphon systems will eject some excess fluid out the tube, but stop when they reach their happy level about an inch below the neck.

But not as much as you mentioned nor not every time you run the tractor - unless you fill up the radiator every time you start it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Just an update. I don’t get a lot of seat time so first hard run since I installed new cap and 50/50 mix since temps were in the 30s recently. Still hasnt been freezing here yet though.

Coolant levels holding steady with new cap so seems that was it! Thanks!

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I assume any 13psi cap will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Stant-10227-Radiator-Cap-PSI/dp/B000C8224M

Are they all standard?

Thanks!

- Mike
Actually the manual calls for something just a hair over 11psi.
I just added about 1/2 quart to my L175. I think the last time I added any was in the early spring this year.
Running in the Texas heat, I've never seen any sign of coolant coming from the whistle. I don't think I'm going to loose any sleep over it.