05 L3130 Transmission Question

draybell

Equipment
L3130
Oct 24, 2009
beaumont, tx
Today I put my L3130 in high gear and drove it on the road. When I put the hst to full throttle, it began to bog down and wanted to die. In neutral the engine revs up fine. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what was it? Any help would be appreciated.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Adding to what Vic says which is absolutely spot on .... when I have a low power issue in high range even in gear tractors, I change the fuel filter first and why? Because at high RPM, your torque is lower compared to its rated curve of mechanical advantage. To prove this to yourself looking at most diesel engine specs and reading the HP/Torque chart, the torque ( which is the work force factor like current is to electricity ) long maxs out before available RPM range allowable for other reasons like overspeeds, valve float, etc... fuel filter is a cheap fix out of the box. :)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hello Draybell,
You'll have to first determine if this is a engine power problem or a HST problem. OR if it's a problem at all! This exact complaint is why the new 40 series L's have "stallguard". What is the load on the tractor? Is it reasonable to expect it to go full speed in high gear with the load?The HST isn't like a throttle pedal, It doesn't give you more power as you push it down it just effectively puts you into a higher gear.That exchanges speed for torque and increases the load on the engine, possibly to where it just can't do it. Both Vic and Ob1 are correct in there recommendations, though I doubt the problem is HST related. Usually a failed or failing HST doesn't load the engine though it could!

draybell

Equipment
L3130
Oct 24, 2009
beaumont, tx
Thanks for everyones input. Vic, I bought the unit in 05 and it has about 95 hrs on it. I changed the fuel filter today and tried it out. It still bogged down when in high gear with no load on the tractor. I have had no issues with the tractor till now. I changed the oil at about 70 hrs. I have not changed the trans oil or filters yet. I bought the filters today and plan on trying that before I go any further.

nhwm7

Nov 14, 2009
chichester NH,
I had a similar problem. I was able to correct the problem. The air filter was partially plugged with debris and filter chamber was also loaded with debris I was cutting a field the grass was 3' to 4' high and the seeds from the weeds and other junk clogged the filter. If that the issue its an easy fix.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I had a similar problem. I was able to correct the problem. The air filter was partially plugged with debris and filter chamber was also loaded with debris I was cutting a field the grass was 3' to 4' high and the seeds from the weeds and other junk clogged the filter. If that the issue its an easy fix.
Simply an excellent idea draybell, my bet is on air and fuel as your low power issue. :D Come back to us with your findings ;)

osut362

Equipment
M9000dtc, b7500hs
Mar 15, 2009
Lindale, Texas
i had a similar problem with my kubota this past summer. it would run just fine up to about half throttle. from half on up to full throttle there was no difference in power. turned out to be the lift pump....al