Positive Battery Cable Melted

TailBent

Equipment
B7500
Feb 27, 2020
Gillespie County, Texas
I have a B7500. I keep it at my "ranch", and can only visit the ranch 3 or 4 times a year. I keep it on a trickle charger when I am not there. I couldn't visit the "ranch", and it was on the trickle charger for 10 months.
This week I started the tractor (easily), and began dragging some tree trunks in low range. After a few minutes I noticed the tractor slowed and seemed to lose power. I stopped dragging, the engine came back up to speed. I did this three times, and then noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. I immediately turned it off. Inspection revealed the positive cable rubber had melted, about 3/4 of it's length beginning at the battery. The battery was so hot that the terminal came out of the battery when I lifted the cable. I had to leave the next day so towed the tractor back to the barn and there it sits.

I am hoping that the 10 months of trickle charging the Walmart battery did some damage to the battery. My next step, upon returning to the "ranch", is to get a new battery cable and battery, and see if that cures the problem.
Is it possible that the starter or some other component is at fault?
If it is the battery, could a new cable and a remote starter be used to see if it was only the battery?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I would be investigating before installing new battery, wires, etc. to make certain nothing else is wrong in the circuit.

I'd also charge the battery and have it tested to verify it is bad.

I'm glad you didn't have a fire.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I think you should check all the wiring for any type of damage. The wire was hot due to a short most likely.

Replace the cable and as stated before have the battery load tested.

If the trips to the ranch are that infrequent I would remove the battery and bring it home. Place it on the charger the night before you go. Might keep someone from stealing the tractor.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You state "trickle charger for 10 months". There is a difference between a trickle charger and a battery maintainer, but as BigG suggested, I'd remove the battery and take it home!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'd also charge the battery and have it tested to verify it is bad.
200mph,
I pretty sure that it going to be hard to charge and test it with the tremial removed from the battery. :p

The battery was so hot that the terminal came out of the battery when I lifted the cable.
TailBent,
You need to get a maintainer, not a trickle charger, or better yet if it's at a location that doesn't freeze, just get a battery disconnect. ;)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You may also want to check your alternator to see how much it's putting out.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
200mph,
I pretty sure that it going to be hard to charge and test it with the tremial removed from the battery. :p
Where is your ingenuity? Just heat it back up and stick it together. You can do that with lead you know. :D

I misread that it was the battery terminal that melted. I was thinking it was the wire end terminal that clamps onto the battery that melted. :confused:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like the starter($$$) shorted out or if you're lucky the starter solenoid(cheaper). That would explain the huge current draw. You're lucky tractor didn't catch on fire. Odds are good you'll need a new battery as they don't like long, massive discharges. Get a proper molded battery cable NOT a homemade one. A trickle charger works like having a water tap on a little bit.OK if you're around BUT eventually the bucket overflows and you'll have a mess..10 months would make a BIG mess! A 'maintainer' style charger will AUTOMATICALLY shut off when the battery is full. If you don't already have one, get a wiring diagram for your tractor. Also look carefully where the cable goes, maybe it rubbed onto something or ,arrgh, MICE chewed the tasty soy plastic off it. Take pictures BEFORE you start removing 'stuff'. it'll hyelp in putting things back properly. Also use correct METRIC tools, no sense rounding off a nut or two an dmaking the job harder.....BTDT..

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Back in the 60's I had a battery on on IHC 300 utility tractor explode while attempting to start engine.

The battery on IHC 300 is located between operators knees when one is sitting in the tractor seat.:D Now that will give one a "wake up call"!!!!:eek:

I agree tailbent needs a maintainer type not trickle charger for extended battery charging.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The fact that the engine lost power in a B7500 with an all Mechanical fuel system would indicate that either the starter or dynamo was causing a severe mechanical drag. Could be there is problems with both. If the Dynamo was burning up it could provide enough drag to slow the engine.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't and have never had a battery maintainer of any kind on my tractors. They sit in a barn with no electrical service what so ever and it gets mighty cold here (12 degrees today) and never been an issue.

First off, I use the largest CCA batter than will fit in the space allowed for the battery, in my case a Group 31 1100 CCA rated. I go by physical dimensions not recommended replacement size.

Secondly, I never short run the tractors, I always make sure they are run long enough to insure the battery is totally 'topped up' before I shut them down.

Thirdly and mist importantly, I break the circuit and isolate the starting battery with a 'Master Disconnect' switch placed on the negative battery terminal. I 'open' that switch immediately after shutting down the tractor(s).

A flooded cell storage battery in good serviceable condition, properly charged, only looses about 2-3% of it's total charge per month so there has never been any reason for an external charger on my batteries, even if the tractor(s) sit all winter (4 months), come spring I open the hood, close the switch and they start right up. There is no parasitic draws or any other discharge when the battery is isolated. none, nada.

Of course I use quality batteries (Interstate), not some cheapo Wallyworld junk and I don't run them forever, a flooded cell battery, the expected lifetime is 5 years. I know people run them 10 years but in reality, 5 is the projected lifetime. I load test at 5 and if they are iffy, I replace them.

Finally, it's a myth that cold temps destroy a flooded cell starting battery. That is a falsehood. It's heat that destroys a battery. The reason why batteries fail in a cold snap is because they were already shot but the cold start requires more amperage than the shot jar is capable of producing.

If you feel you must use a trickle charger, use a microprocessor controlled maintainer, not a tickle charger. A trickle charger will eventually cook a flooded cell battery, boiling all the distilled water out and leaving concentrated acid behind and destroying the battery.

I don't and never have. Mine start right up, no issue.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd have thought there was a fuse between the alternator and the battery. If not then yes, a shorted alt WILL kill the battery and wires.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Rodents

Before I put the battery back in the tractor I would make sure rodents have not chewed up a wire harness and shorted something to ground. If the tractor started fine and you did not hear the starter dragging the engine, this would be my guess.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Thirdly and mist importantly, I break the circuit and isolate the starting battery with a 'Master Disconnect' switch placed on the negative battery terminal. I 'open' that switch immediately after shutting down the tractor(s).
This. You can even get keyed switches for that extra level of theft protection too.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My bet is the starter stuck engaged with the flywheel.

A starter motor will generate juice when spun faster than it would under battery power. Typically, the toggle point is about 700 rpm (engine speed).
Once the engine starts and revs build, the force of the engines' faster rpm is supposed to 'encourage' the Bendix to disengage the starter pinion from the flywheel. If the Bendix does not work (is stuck, very common in a machine that sits for extended periods) the starter motor is turned very fast.
As much current as a starter draws on start, it can generate when spun at engine operating speed. Your cables and battery are intended to carry this kind of current for brief (10-15 second) periods.

I think you are very lucky the battery did not explode.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

A starter motor will generate juice when spun faster than it would under battery power. Typically, the toggle point is about 700 rpm (engine speed).
Once the engine starts and revs build, the force of the engines' faster rpm is supposed to 'encourage' the Bendix to disengage the starter pinion from the flywheel. If the Bendix does not work (is stuck, very common in a machine that sits for extended periods) the starter motor is turned very fast.
As much current as a starter draws on start, it can generate when spun at engine operating speed. Your cables and battery are intended to carry this kind of current for brief (10-15 second) periods.

Great post.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Good theory, but very unlikely.

This could only happen if the solenoid was stuck, otherwise the starter to battery connection is cut when you cut power feeding the solenoid.
So no backfeed could happen even if the starter did manage to get stuck in the engaged position. ;)

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA

This could only happen if the solenoid was stuck, otherwise the starter to battery connection is cut when you cut power feeding the solenoid.
So no backfeed could happen even if the starter did manage to get stuck in the engaged position. ;)
I agree. This is why I said that I doubt it was the starter. But, who knows until they get it back together and do some testing.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Yes, interesting theory. But what if the starter solenoid stuck closed AND the starter also stuck in the engaged position? Yes, unlikely, but stranger things probably have happened.

The OP said: "After a few minutes I noticed the tractor slowed and seemed to lose power. I stopped dragging, the engine came back up to speed. I did this three times, and then noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. I immediately turned it off."

The diesel does not require electric voltage to run after started. So what would cause it to lose power/engine speed after it is running? Voltage dropping to the fuel shut off solenoid? But if the issue was caused by the starter generating excessive voltage, back into the battery, the fuel solenoid would not experience under voltage.

My bet is the battery itself failed internally. It probably generated enough heat internally as the result to melt itself inside, so the terminal pulled out easily. The melted insulation on the terminal wire was probably due to heat generated inside the battery.

What does not add up is why the tractor would lose power. Granted as the battery failed, if that is what happened, the output voltage which feeds the fuel shutoff solenoid would likely have dropped.

BUT why would the situation cure itself when the working load was removed from the tractor?

I don't know about you guys, but in the old days it was not uncommon to run a battery down to nothing trying to start the junkers we used to drive. Never saw a battery melt doing that... So I am guessing that either the battery failed internally, OR it was getting excessive energy input from somewhere, which only could have been supplied by the starter motor generating.

edit: I would put my money on the battery failing internally, but when I bet I always lose...

Last edited: