Safety of zero turn mowers

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
On my way into work this morning I was listening to a segment on the radio featuring two sit-volleyball players from War Amps. Both young ladies had similar incidents in a short time period with zero turn mowers where they fell forward off the mower and lost a foot. I haven't used one myself, but it just got me thinking that this is something largely preventable through the wearing of a seatbelt? One young lady did mention that the mower she was using had the seat safety bypassed.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I own a small landscaping company, and so zero turn mowers are something we commonly use. It seems "homeowner" style zero turns don't have a seat belt or a ROPs. These mowers might still cost several thousand dollars, but are designed for non commercial use.

I think a zero turn is very safe. They are less likely to roll over than a tractor, thanks to a wide track and low center of gravity. With a ROPs and a belt, it's probably impossible to have a body part end up under the mower deck.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
Been using ZTRs for almost 28 years. The only safety problem I had was me doing something I knew not to do. The ROPS, safety switches and seat belts are there for a reason other than aggravating the operator. Use them, they will save you from yourself.

I have a couple of steep slopes that need mowing. As we change the direction of mowing (north, south, east & west) I have run along the length of the slope many times a year. I have never had a ZTR come close to rolling sideways. Mine looses traction and slides downward. Granted, we use rollers on the yard, and the slope gets rolled also, but that gets completed going up & down.

Digger

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I have a Kubota Z400 and love it and I can't think of a way to fall over the front of the mower deck. You sit well back and there is a seat safety switch as well. It happened obviously but it would not be easy to do if you wanted to.
Just from using ride ons, zero turns and push mowers I would say that a zero turn is the safest. If there is data to show otherwise it would be interesting.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
On my way into work this morning I was listening to a segment on the radio featuring two sit-volleyball players from War Amps. Both young ladies had similar incidents in a short time period with zero turn mowers where they fell forward off the mower and lost a foot. I haven't used one myself, but it just got me thinking that this is something largely preventable through the wearing of a seatbelt? One young lady did mention that the mower she was using had the seat safety bypassed.
I'd like to hear more details about that.....not sure how that could even happen. :confused:

Maybe we could just say, there are some things some people should not do.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, there are many variations in zero turn mowers. For one, were they on mid-mount or front mount mowers? If the deck is out front, it's virtually impossible to get ran over, unless you're a slow rabbit setting under a low hanging pine tree!!!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you keep your seatbelt on, safety interlocks intact, and the ROPS up then your biggest dangers are high speed and lack of traction...in other words operator error will be the root cause of most accidents.

From my ZTR operators manual:
Operators, age 60 years and above
Data indicates that operators, age 60 years and above, are involved in a large percentage of machine-related injuries. These operators should evaluate their ability to operate the machine safely enough to protect themselves and others from serious injury.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I can't find a link to the audio, but if you go to waramps.ca/playsafe and click on Julie, it reads:

When Julie, a teenager who lives in a farming community, tried driving a zero-turn lawn mower for the first time, she was thrown off and the machine ran over her. In what she described as a life-or-death situation, she ended up losing her left leg below the knee.

As a Safety Ambassador, she wants to remind kids that they’re not invincible.

“I would like to help people and make sure that this doesn’t happen to them. You always think, ‘Oh, that won’t happen to me!’, but you never know. You really have to be careful.”

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
You'll notice that of the 8 child safety ambassadors featured, 5 lost a limb to a mower, 1 to a train, 1 to a boat, and 1 to a grain auger. Of the 5, 1 involved a push mower, and the others involved ride-on and zero-turn mowers. However, not all were riding/driving the mower, so it also goes to remind us to be aware of who is around when we are operating equipment.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you keep your seatbelt on, safety interlocks intact, and the ROPS up then your biggest dangers are high speed and lack of traction...in other words operator error will be the root cause of most accidents.

Data indicates that operators, age 60 years and above, are involved in a large percentage of machine-related injuries. These operators should evaluate their ability to operate the machine safely enough to protect themselves and others from serious injury.
I could take that personally... I'm 70 and been using my M60 Tank for at least 10 years and never had any issues but the seat switch is activated and I wear my seatbelt. Other that the fact the 27 horse Kowalski is a gas hog, it runs like a top. has almost 700 hours on it now.

For the life of me I cannot see how you would fall forward and get run over. On mine, you let go of the handles, it stops immediately.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
It is just awful what happened to that teenager and I can't imagine what the parents went through. I guess if there is a way something can happen then one day it will. That said of all my equipment my ZT Mower is the least of my concerns. Chainsaws, falling trees and a table saw really get my attention.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Operators 60 and above.... are more likely to be in a position to afford a ZTM. When I was younger, working and had no arthritis issues I used walk behind mowers that cost less than $100.

Accidents happen..... by definition, ... by Accident. Lack of instruction and/or failure to familiarize and follow instructions increase the risks...as does defeating safety-features. We all know that.

Last edited:

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
I own a z turn and for 12 years, have been using the z turn and my tractor to mow my acreage. I’ve had no issue, but, I am very aware of the angle of my machine to a hill. Just like in a car, speed kills. Just like in an airplane and a car, distractions kill. In all machines operator error is the biggest issue in any accident,

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
A few years back a man was mowing his yard. He backed up and over his young son. The boy lost both of his feet. And for some time they thought the boy was not going to make it. Dad knew the boy was in the yard but did not check for him when he backed the mower up.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
A few years back a man was mowing his yard. He backed up and over his young son. The boy lost both of his feet. And for some time they thought the boy was not going to make it. Dad knew the boy was in the yard but did not check for him when he backed the mower up.
This!! To me this is one of the risks that is greater on a zero turn. You have to keep both hands on the steering controls which severely limits your ability to pivot at the waist and look behind you. Couple that with how easy it is to go from forward to reverse and I think folks (including me) over time get a bit negligent about thoroughly looking behind them.

It seems the worst accidents i read about in relation to zero turns is someone backing over a child.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Zero turn or not, having a child out when mowing is asking for trouble. Many even have them in their lap for "bonding time"!

That's about as smart as letting your dog follow you as you cut with a sickle bar mower!!!!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Or WELDING with children and/or pets around. Do that only if you wish to permanently damage their vision.

You will not see them because you’re “under the hood” but your pet will watch the event and a child will not know that it is safer to stare at the sun!

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Zero turn or not, having a child out when mowing is asking for trouble. Many even have them in their lap for "bonding time"!

That's about as smart as letting your dog follow you as you cut with a sickle bar mower!!!!
Now you are picking on my dad, jeesh. That is how he ended up with a 3 legged dog back in the 50s. No safety switches on that WD45 either. Having a child on a mower when mowing is much more stupid than the dog thing. I think it is a Gumpism. Stupid is as stupid does.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would assume the young ladies were using one of the zero turn models sold at the big box stores missing a rops and seat belt.

My Z121SKS has both rops and seat belts. When my wife learned how to operate it, I stressed using the seat belt and I start griping at her if she doesn't wear it. I've had the seat belt keep me planted in the seat when the rops caught the edge of a low hanging branch. It would have probably tossed me part way off the mower if it wasn't for the belt.

Neighbor has a Bad Boy mower that doesn't have a rops or seat belt. He ended up sliding off the seat when it slipped and ended up laying against the other side of the bank. If the mower tipped a little more, he would have had more hurt then his pride.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk