M-series front axle support servicing

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The WSM and the Ops manual for my M4700DT indicates (same WSM for the M5400 thru the M9000 series) I should grease the front axle support every 100 hrs. It shows a Zerk-fitting in the illustration and the description indicates 2 of the Zerks exist.

My ‘96 model M4700 has no Zerks. I checked the Messicks site and see that later year models apparently had this Zerk.

With only 500 hrs on my tractor I can see no wear on the bracket/fitting/support (whatever we really want to call it), and I wonder if other M-owners have run across this and/or experienced any wear on this item. I imagine that Kubota provided the later/modified part to meet a need for greasing this item, and I’ve thought I might disassemble and drill/install Zerk fittings, but wonder if I should really bother with it if no other owners have experienced wear in this area.

jakemaxwell806

Sep 27, 2018
US
The WSM and the Ops manual for my M4700DT indicates (same WSM for the M5400 thru the M9000 series) I should grease the front axle support every 100 hrs. It shows a Zerk-fitting in the illustration and the description indicates 2 of the Zerks exist.

My ‘96 model M4700 has no Zerks. I checked the Messicks site and see that later year models apparently had this Zerk.

With only 500 hrs on my tractor I can see no wear on the bracket/fitting/support (whatever we really want to call it), and I wonder if other M-owners have run across this and/or experienced any wear on this item. I imagine that Kubota provided the later/modified part to meet a need for greasing this item, and I’ve thought I might disassemble and drill/install Zerk fittings, but wonder if I should really bother with it if no other owners have experienced wear in this area.
I have a m4030 with 8500 hours no grease zerks I'm going to have to rebuild it when weather warms up an bit using it daily

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

George:

Both my M9's have them, 2 zerks, one forward, one rearward, with grease expansion plugs on the opposite side, though I've never pulled the plugs. I just force the grease out around the joints and yes, they do wear. Both of mine are early M's, 2002 and 2004 respectively. The bolt and locknut on the front of the axle pivot is for taking up the slop in the joint and the WSM calls out the correct pre-load procedure for taking up any slop.

Kind of surprised yours didn't come greaseable. I grease mine every time I grease the axle kingpin's and the 3 point linkage or a couple times a year.

I've had to take up the slop twice on my M9 cab already so they do wear.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a m4030 with 8500 hours no grease zerks I'm going to have to rebuild it when weather warms up an bit using it daily

Wow, that is a pile of meter hours and I though I had pretty high hours at 2300 and 4500 hours respectively and I farm with mine. Curious how you racked up that many hours?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
George:

Both my M9's have them, 2 zerks, one forward, one rearward, with grease expansion plugs on the opposite side, though I've never pulled the plugs. I just force the grease out around the joints and yes, they do wear. Both of mine are early M's, 2002 and 2004 respectively. The bolt and locknut on the front of the axle pivot is for taking up the slop in the joint and the WSM calls out the correct pre-load procedure for taking up any slop.

Kind of surprised yours didn't come greaseable. I grease mine every time I grease the axle kingpin's and the 3 point linkage or a couple times a year.

I've had to take up the slop twice on my M9 cab already so they do wear.
Flip, those plugs are recommended to be removed when applying grease in the fitting to keep seals from getting pushed out. They just let you know when the cavity is full and lets air out.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip, those plugs are recommended to be removed when applying grease in the fitting to keep seals from getting pushed out. They just let you know when the cavity is full and lets air out.
After almost 20 years, I don't think I need to worry about them...lol

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Are the expansion plugs rubber or allen-screws...or...?

(And apparently someone read my post and has sneaked into my shop and installed a zerk on the rear support. Youda thought theyda done the front one too! )

Dont know how I didnt see the one on the rear, its exactly where the manual shows it. Doh.
Now I gotta get under it and look for an expansion plug and get the grease gun.
Perhaps I can shoot grease into the front one by removing the bolt, or removing hte entire front support and drilling it for a zerk. Damm I dont know how i missed that rear zerk. I seriously looked and its so obvious.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One zerk on the left side, one on the right side on mine and yes, 2 square head pipe plugs I've never removed... Oh well I have zero slop after 20 years, don't think it's an issue now.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ok...while sober...before my evening tranquilizer (St Pauli Girl) ... I have crawled under it AND visited Messicks Parts pages for my M4700DT Front Axle support and...

Messicks page: No expansion plug on the rear support and only one zerk... THIS agrees with my tractor.

Messicks page: One zerk and one plug on the Front support... neither on my tractor. I see the price is over $200 and I think I can remove the front support (4 bolts) and drill/tap/install a zerk and a plug without spending $2 much less $200.

But I also notice the Messicks page has an * on one of these parts and *** on another. No explanation as to what asterisks mean.

https://www.messicks.com/ku/85704

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok...while sober...before my evening tranquilizer (St Pauli Girl) ... I have crawled under it AND visited Messicks Parts pages for my M4700DT Front Axle support and...

Messicks page: No expansion plug on the rear support and only one zerk... THIS agrees with my tractor.

Messicks page: One zerk and one plug on the Front support... neither on my tractor. I see the price is over $200 and I think I can remove the front support (4 bolts) and drill/tap/install a zerk and a plug without spending $2 much less $200.

But I also notice the Messicks page has an * on one of these parts and *** on another. No explanation as to what asterisks mean.

https://www.messicks.com/ku/85704
There is more to it than just a couple holes drilled and taped in it, for one it has a different bushing as grease ain't going to travel around a solid bushing.
I do believe the case also has a relief cut in it too.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On my L185 the zerk is on the opposite side from where every manual and parts list show it. But I suppose that you have already looked at both sides and still haven’t found it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakemaxwell806

Sep 27, 2018
US
Wow, that is a pile of meter hours and I though I had pretty high hours at 2300 and 4500 hours respectively and I farm with mine. Curious how you racked up that many hours?
Feed cattle daily with it since it was new

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
There is more to it than just a couple holes drilled and taped in it, for one it has a different bushing as grease ain't going to travel around a solid bushing.
I do believe the case also has a relief cut in it too.
Not taking mine apart to look but I certainly can ask Dennis at the dealer. He works on M's all the time.

I bet wolfman is correct though, solid (no grease channel) bushings. I imagine you'd have to press the bushings and machine a grease channel in them, then drill and tap (1/4x28) the hole for a zerk. Not an insurmountable job but not just a drill and tap either.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Feed cattle daily with it since it was new

You must be doing something right. I'd say the engine life without a major in frame would be around 10K hours. I feed my steers with one of mine as well but the distance from the hay barn is about 400 feet to the dry lot and I use a bobcat to tote the corn and supplement to the feeder troughs.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks, Wolfman, I expect you’re correct (as usual). However the bushing appears to be the same PM regardless of which bracket (zerk or not) is used. The photo of the bushing shows it to be a split bushing so grease should get inside it the same either way.
I may order the part then examine it when it comes in, I can always refuse it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
George... Take it apart first and look. You might be surprised and you have to pull the bushing to drill the casting anyway.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
George... Take it apart first and look. You might be surprised and you have to pull the bushing to drill the casting anyway.
Yep...........

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks, Wolfman, I expect you’re correct (as usual). However the bushing appears to be the same PM regardless of which bracket (zerk or not) is used. The photo of the bushing shows it to be a split bushing so grease should get inside it the same either way.
I may order the part then examine it when it comes in, I can always refuse it.
The picture on the diagram is the newer bushing with the hole, the old bushing does not have the hole.
The real issue is the case, the case has a groove cut inside of it (for grease to travel around it) along with the 2 holes for the plug and grease zerk.

Old bushing with no grease hole, which you will have installed in your case.

Sorry no pictures show the inside of the old or new cases because when you buy it, it already has the bushing installed into the case.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looking at the picture, I sure hope I didn't pop the two seals by not removing the pipe plugs.....lol I have no play though.