Landpride Flail mower

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
I've searched the internet for any information on the Kubota Flail mower for my B2650. I've asked my dealer about the Landpride flail mowers for my tractor and he said they require too high of a HP and my tractor would not be suitable for the Landpride.

He has suggested the Del Morino Model# Flipper. Any thoughts?

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
LandPride’s page on flail mowers, shows the FM25.. matched with B series tractors.
Altho, it shows hp requirement of 30-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I run a 54 inch behind a B2650 without any issue at all. It will depend on what you are cutting and the type of flails (knife vs hammers). I probably could have run the 60 inch, but the 54 inch was fine for my needs.

Mine is the FHM-EFG 135, purchased from Betstco.

Attachments

Gearman

Jul 9, 2018
Woods Cross
I run a 54 inch behind a B2650 without any issue at all. It will depend on what you are cutting and the type of flails (knife vs hammers). I probably could have run the 60 inch, but the 54 inch was fine for my needs.

A flail mower is in my near future as well for our B2601
To maintain edge of fences and surrounding vacant property that get overgrown with everything up to 1/2” saplings

Want to know more about your experience with yours.
Are you using knifes or hammers?
what are you mowing?

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Gearman,

I'm using hammers on mine. I've cut just about everything up to about 1.5 inch diameter brush/trees, heavy vegetation, tall and regular grass without any issue. I have some swampy areas to maintain and since the flail mower is lighter than a brush hog, it works for me.

If you get into very tall/thick grass, you have to slow down a bit or take two passes. In some cases, I lift the mower up maybe 6 inches for the first pass, then drop it down for the second pass.

I like the mower. It serves my needs for occasional use and does a really good job. Just know that flail mowers don't work all that well when mowing in reverse. So, in some cases you have to lift the mower, back into an area, then drop the mower down and mow going forward.

The unit I picked up from Betstco was a very lightly used demo unit. She told me that they used it for one of their commercials. It looked brand new when I received it. I think I paid 1K for it, regularly 1.4K. Free shipping included.

Attachments

drich

Equipment
B2601
Jun 18, 2017
Colorado
I have a B2601 and have the Del Morino mower and think it is a great mower. I use it out here in Colorado on the native grass which is very tuff. Plus the dust it kicks up id so much less compared to a brush hog type. They are not cheep but very well made. I was going to go with the woodmax but it was out of stock and was going to be months to get back in stock.

zonedar

Equipment
B2601
Jan 12, 2020
Yamhill County, Oregon
I have a B2601 and have the Del Morino mower and think it is a great mower. I use it out here in Colorado on the native grass which is very tuff. Plus the dust it kicks up id so much less compared to a brush hog type. They are not cheep but very well made. I was going to go with the woodmax but it was out of stock and was going to be months to get back in stock.

I just got a Del Morino 132 a couple months ago for my 2601 as well. Been using it in our timbered acreage to get the blackberries, brush, and smaller downed limbs, etc. It's the cat's meow.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

According to data I found your B2650 has 19.5 Hp at PTO and the mower requires 22 Hp.

Does that seem to give your tractor any problem, do you think you should have gotten one that is smaller and requires less HP?

I am considering buying one and their representative said to not get one that required more hp than tractor rating. But I really don’t see how they rate it except to use some standard speed and material to cut. Seems like going slower would reduce the required HP

What have you experienced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
I spoke with Landpride directly. They do not recommend the LP flail for the B2650. Drats.

I have ordered the Del Morino through my dealer. While the Bestco may be a great flail mower, I want to support my dealer, as I am not just purchasing a flail mower, but I am purchasing the service afterwards. That to me is important as I want them to stay in business.

I do have a zero turn machine for the lawns near my house, etc., but for the open fields, etc, I think the flail will be better than a rear deck mower, or belly mower. I HATE BELLY MOWERS. They are difficult to put on a machine, and I feel that I get a lot of the drift and grass into the engine area.

Since there is still snow on the ground, there is still time to get the machine to the dealer so he can install the flail and also the grapple.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
According to data I found your B2650 has 19.5 Hp at PTO and the mower requires 22 Hp.

Does that seem to give your tractor any problem, do you think you should have gotten one that is smaller and requires less HP?

I am considering buying one and their representative said to not get one that required more hp than tractor rating. But I really don’t see how they rate it except to use some standard speed and material to cut. Seems like going slower would reduce the required HP

What have you experienced?

Russell, as I stated above, I have no issues with powering this 54 inch mower with the B2650. In most cases, I can easily over-rev the mower. Only in very thick, tall grass (like 4 foot tall) I have to slow down my ground speed slightly so that I don't bog down. I probably would've been fine with a 60 inch mower but have many trees that would make maneuvering a bit of a challenge.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Russell, as I stated above, I have no issues with powering this 54 inch mower with the B2650. In most cases, I can easily over-rev the mower. Only in very thick, tall grass (like 4 foot tall) I have to slow down my ground speed slightly so that I don't bog down. I probably would've been fine with a 60 inch mower but have many trees that would make maneuvering a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for the information. Now just need to confirm whether the 48 inch will still be as narrow as the tractor or if it will fit where needed if slightly larger. I have a lot of trees to mow between!

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
eliot3b4,

I really like our WoodMaxx FM78 flail with hammers. Built very well. And the price was reasonable. I understand that they now have a factory in the U.S.A.
www.woodmaxx.com/FM_78_Flail_Mower_p/fm-78.htm

I put it on our B3200 and have little trouble chewing through the prairie grass and brush in our 7 acre field. I also used it to chew a path through a wooded area that had not been cleared in 15 years, working on up to 2" saplings and vines. Did good enough at grinding the debris to small pieces.

Digger

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for the information. Now just need to confirm whether the 48 inch will still be as narrow as the tractor or if it will fit where needed if slightly larger. I have a lot of trees to mow between!

One thing to note before selecting a model is that some units allow the flail mower to be mounted either centered or in an offset position.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One thing to note before selecting a model is that some units allow the flail mower to be mounted either centered or in an offset position.
Thank you. I will probably get a Betsco since they are inexpensive and I only have about 4 acres of grass to cut. I have a shredder already but want to try the flail mower to eliminate the windrows.

The Betsco states that it can be offset to the right only and gives two offset dimensions due to some type of mounting change that can be made.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I run a WoodMaxx FM-62 behind my B2650 with no issues. It has the 3-legged Y blades, which is perfect for my needs. I use it mostly for grass, with occasional blackberries. Sometimes I even mow a rock or two.

I lucked out and found it used locally with only a couple infuses on it. We’re talking all of the blades were still shiny black... saved close to a grand off new! Found the receipt in the tube. Bought new in the spring and I picked it up in fall of the same year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Re: Landpride Flail mower and Del Morino

I received my tractor back yesterday with the LP Grapple and the Del Morino flail mower. WOW! What a set up. The grapple picked up a rock I was trying to move with no issues.

Tried the flail mower and what a nice piece of equipment. The Del Morino is well made, heavy and stabilizes the tractor very nicely. I’m having wheel spacers placed on the tractor and this machine will be ready to mow my fields, etc.

Very pleased with the current set up on my tractor and thankful to own such a nice machine.

Hats off to Chappell Tractor in NH for making all of this happen. A great company.

Gearman

Jul 9, 2018
Woods Cross
I received my tractor back yesterday with the LP Grapple and the Del Morino flail mower. WOW! What a set up. The grapple picked up a rock I was trying to move with no issues.

Tried the flail mower and what a nice piece of equipment. The Del Morino is well made, heavy and stabilizes the tractor very nicely. I’m having wheel spacers placed on the tractor and this machine will be ready to mow my fields, etc.

Very pleased with the current set up on my tractor and thankful to own such a nice machine.

Hats off to Chappell Tractor in NH for making all of this happen. A great company.

Photo of set up please
Interested with your set up

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I run a WoodMaxx FM-62 behind my B2650 with no issues. It has the 3-legged Y blades, which is perfect for my needs. I use it mostly for grass, with occasional blackberries......
I run the same on my L2501 which is about the same power as a B2650. As is the OP, I was concerned about the L2501 being under powered but not after watching this person run the same Woodmax Flail on his B26TLB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZophehpnkc

I ordered one. https://www.woodmaxx.com/FM_62_Flail_Mower_p/fm-62.htm

This mower seems very well built and after arriving was easy to set up and mount (I have it offset). I mow 4 pastures only once a year with it so the weeds are fairly high but there are only two small "very" thick sections where I take less than a full 60" bite, this is not one of them.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Hey Oliver,

As you know I traded my L2501 (which I miss) but I just ordered a Woodmaxx FM78 mower for my L4060. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I assume you haven't used yours yet given the season, but it sounds like you think it is quality?

This is still a made-in-China mower, but they are designed by Woodmaxx here in New York, and run better quality bearings and belts. From the pictures, they look better made than the 100% Chinese "Titan" branded flails of which I've had a couple and neither have held up.

Does yours have the "trash door" on the back? The FM78 requires 30-65 PTO horsepower to run, and my latest tractor is only 32.5 PTO HP. So just barely above the minimum, and I mow some areas that are extremely dense and tall grass (twice per year). Mine has the trash door, which can be left open while mowing and I think will really help ease the horsepower demand...more of the cut material will be thrown rather than further mulched and discharged through the narrow opening between the bottom of the housing and the roller.

Did you opt for hammers or Y knives? I spoke with a woodmaxx rep and based upon my tractor and application recommended the Y-knives. He said they are great for grass and because they weigh slightly less than a hammer...they use less horsepower.

In my experience using both styles, the y-knives are a little less susceptible to damage if you hit rocks than the hammers. Still, I've found the hammers seem to leave a nicer cut in grass, surprisingly enough.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Greetings troverman, no I haven't used it this year. I know I will use it late Summer, possibly July in one area. This is the only flail I have had but so far it has worked fine cutting and mulching up the weeds. It sure seems well built to me and other than initially adjusting the skids and greasing it I have not done a thing to it. The supplied drive shaft fit w/o needing cut on my tractor with QuickHitch. The fact they use US bearings and belts was one of the reasons I went with Woodmaxx because those are probably the two most likely things to fail.

Mine does have the rear door but I have not tried mowing with it partially open (actually I forgot about this feature so thanks for bringing it up). I may next time in the two really thick sections because I'm on the lower limit of hp myself. I just need to remember to do so and have a couple wrenches with me. It appears you remove the two bottom bolts and let it hinge up on the top bolts.

I went with Y blades for a few reasons;
1) that is all they had coming in the following week.
2) Y blades are what they advised for mowing and light brush, which is my use anyway.
3) I like that they're reversible so doubling the time until needing to take them off to sharpen.

I believe you'll like your new flail, be sure to post your experience setting it up and mowing!