Equipment tracking device

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
All valid points except the unit sells for $160.00 and then the cost is $15.00 per year starting the 4th year. Over 10 years, the average cost is $29.50 per year. You also need to factor in the deductible cost. I'm sure the deductible is low through Kubota. Mine is 5 grand.
The $200 figure was taken from another post. $5,000 deductible? Wowser! Mine's either $250 or $500. So for $29.50 a year you could watch it, or for $35 a year you can replace it if it's not recovered, lost or damaged by other events. I'm sure you do both in the rental biz, as would I, but for private use, I'll spend the extra $5.50 a year and figure my chances of finding it right where I last parked it are pretty good. If not, then that, along with everything else is covered.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
if the power was cut to GPS, you wouldn't know it was stolen
I was thinking about that also after rentthis' post about hooking to constant power. Hopefully you could hide the device and put the antenna in a place that isn't very obvious, but what if they just take the battery out just in case there's a GPS? You almost need to have a small hidden backup battery that charges from the main battery.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I was thinking about that also after rentthis' post about hooking to constant power. Hopefully you could hide the device and put the antenna in a place that isn't very obvious, but what if they just take the battery out just in case there's a GPS? You almost need to have a small hidden backup battery that charges from the main battery.
The tracking program we had would let you know if the power is cut. The system included software that showed a map of the area and where the tractors where located at all times (and their speed when moving). If the signal was lost it would send a e-mail (or text) letting you know the signal was lost (i.e. if power is cut or if signal is blocked).

The problem we had is that operator would park their tractors under the tress and so GPS signal was lost. In this case it did nothing for theft prevention. But if your owner you would just make sure the tractor has a good signal when you park it for the night.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Mike, The units I have work off of GPS satellite and cell signal. You can park them in a building and provided you have a strong enough cell signal, cell will triangulate and locate the unit. These have an internal antenna so all you have to do is hide it under something non metallic, aim it toward the sky and wire it to a constant power source. For $10.00 extra you can get a backup battery built in. I put mine under the plastic shroud around the steering wheel. The program includes Geo fence capability. You set distance perimeters and if it moves out of that area, you receive a text and email alerting you. It also pings all of your devices daily and lets you know if a ping fails. That way you always know they are active. As Forrest Gump said "one less thing".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Computer shows a post by JeffJeff 5 minutes ago, but the last post is dated 9-01-2016. Guess I'm ready for a new computer. It's generation its own threads!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I leave my tractors sit away from the barn in the summer at my remotely located fields quite often and it don't take a lot if intellegence to obtain a key to start them in as much as Kubota uses a couple generic keys.

While they are insured for ACV against theft, I added a disabling lockout device to the battery terminal on the negative side on each one. Without the handle inserted and turned, no power goes to the starter, so no start.

Simple, effective and inexpensive.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I hid a tracker in my front tire of the tractor with a rim band. It says it will hold battery for 36 months, so I will need to revisit it again. I have a friend with a fleet of trucks who gave it to me to use. He said he thought they were around 100.00/yr/unit.

Yes, insurance will pay for a new tractor but not MY tractor.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
The Goldstar renthis mentioned are good units. In the car business we use them on high risk finance deals. They will work under a tree or in the garage.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you're paranoid about theft put TWO GPS trackers in the tractor ! Thieves find one, yank it out, laugh, and carry on...meanwhile #2 tracker is still working.....:)
Unlike 737max 'engineers' I know why backups are necessary.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I hid a tracker in my front tire of the tractor with a rim band. It says it will hold battery for 36 months, so I will need to revisit it again. I have a friend with a fleet of trucks who gave it to me to use. He said he thought they were around 100.00/yr/unit.

Yes, insurance will pay for a new tractor but not MY tractor.
Mine are all covered 100% and my implements as well as any grain or animal feed (hay) I have stored on the farm against all perils. Having said that I still don't want to suffer a loss because I need both of them or I wouldn't have them. Not for 'recreational' use, they are working units on a working farm.

I guess I'm not all that paranoid about loss however. Out here I often leave the keys in the car or pickup truck, in the tractors too. We don't lock the doors at night either. No need. We live on a farm and it's remote here, devoid of people, thieves and idiots. Besides, like most locals, I'm into firearms and regularly open carry and I always have a handgun in the tractor anyway. If that isn't enough deterrent, I have a large (120 pound) black chow lab with a nasty disposition. He don't cotton to strangers very well and he has the run of the place. he does like the local UPS driver. He always has a biscuit for him....:)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Mine are all covered 100% and my implements as well as any grain or animal feed (hay) I have stored on the farm against all perils. Having said that I still don't want to suffer a loss because I need both of them or I wouldn't have them. Not for 'recreational' use, they are working units on a working farm.

I guess I'm not all that paranoid about loss however. Out here I often leave the keys in the car or pickup truck, in the tractors too. We don't lock the doors at night either. No need. We live on a farm and it's remote here, devoid of people, thieves and idiots. Besides, like most locals, I'm into firearms and regularly open carry and I always have a handgun in the tractor anyway. If that isn't enough deterrent, I have a large (120 pound) black chow lab with a nasty disposition. He don't cotton to strangers very well and he has the run of the place. he does like the local UPS driver. He always has a biscuit for him....:)
My stuff is all insured and I keep an umbrella policy for the stuff in-between. I also let Kubota finance it and have their insurance which also covers theft. So I am covered 6 ways from Sunday in that sense. I have it more for the pleasure of knowing there is a good chance the A$O that stole it will get caught, that and it didn't cost me anything. I have full set of tire machines so it was no problem at all.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I use a 1/4 turn battery kill switch wired to the battery side of the starter.
When the red key is not inserted and turned, trying to start the B2650 makes a clicking sound like a dead battery.
I have a small white pvc pipe cap that fit's over the 1/4 turn key hole and looks non-de-script when parked.

Attachments

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Not and never have been that paranoid.
True that. Ones mans paranoia is a another mans common sense.

I am not paranoid of a break in, but I still have a few guns.

I am not paranoid about fire, but I still insure my house against it.

I am not paranoid about a virus floating around, but I still keep a few months of food on hand for the family.

I guess it depends on a persons perspective.

In this case the device was free and I own tire machines making the job very easy for me.

For the old timers it is a great tool for when you forget where you left your tractor too, not just for theft . :p

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I've recently started using cameras around the house. I have close neighbors and not really secluded, but you never know how bold a thief is going to be. Just because I have a close neighbor, it doesn't mean a thief would be suspected or seen.

Anyway, I have a Wyze cam in my barn. It has to have a electrical outlet and wireless connection. I have it inside the main bay pointed outwards. I can set the sensitivity for motion and sound. If it detects either, it will record a 12 second clip and notify my phone. I can then watch the clip and watch what is happening live. You can also add a 32gb card to continuous record up to 4 days, after which it will start recording over old video. The only downside is the card does not load the continuous video to a cloud server. So, if a thief steals the card/camera, there is no video to recover. But, for only $25 and no other fees, it is an extra layer of protection. And, I can keep and eye on my place while I am not at home.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If you can't get a gps systems, why not install some cameras? There has been a rise of thefts in my area. My neighbor told me a lot of kids breaking into barns and garages stealing tools mostly.

I installed a wireless camera system that I like. Arlo. It takes batteries, no wires to run. It does need to be in proximity of your wireless router to work though. Sends instant alerts to your phone/email and instantly log in via cell signal to see what's going on. It saves all your videos and images to a remote server at no extra cost. Held up a year so far in below freezing and 93 degree weather. I think it's great. You could always try a wired system. Swann is a good brand for that.

GL

Downside to a camera is that it just records footage of when the tractor is stolen; it doesn't address where it goes. THAT is the problem. GPS solves that as long as the thieves don't find the transmitter. If they do, they'll rip it off and throw it out the window and then you're up the same creek as a lot of theft victims; without a paddle. Law enforcement doesn't care about theft victims; or that's the way it looks to me based on past experience. As a homeowner and hobby farmer myself, there is good reason I sleep with one eye open, and that's all I'm gonna say about it.

....And on this subject, I have been out of town for a few days on training (yeah Kubota training). I get back, everything looks normal....BUT I found a couple of cigarette butts (fresh) near the overhead door of the shop. So someone's been here, and it ain't nobody I know (none of my friends smoke). Not likely wind blown either. Gotta go pull the cards out of the cameras & see what they say.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Speaking of tracking devices jogged my feeble mind.. My dealer has been busy pulling in New Kubota side by sides from all over the country. Kubota did a corporate sale to Herc Rentals in Toledo, Ohio and my dealer was the company designated dealer to prep all of them (I think about 30) for Herc and they all were equipped with aftermarket tracking devices so Herc could ascertain their locations and if they were where they were supposed to be. The shop was installing the devices. Didn't look close but they were installed under the beds on the frame rails and plugged into the wiring harness.

Place (shop) was jammed full of them last time I was there. All completely optioned out too, heat, ac, am/fm cd's, full cabs doors, worklights,windshield wipers, the whole nine yards

All purchased outright, no trade in's. Lot was a sea of Diesel side by sides last week...

If I ever had a stranger around here, it would be a strange event. Always someone home and if neither one of us are, the two dogs are and neither are very sociable.

Be pretty hard to abscond with my tractors anyway, both have battery disconnects on them.