L3901 code 0336

Bad Bob

Equipment
L3901 tractor
Oct 6, 2019
Huntingdon,TN
What's the deal? Tractor working fine and YouTube not much help? Do I need a new crankshaft sensor r bypass it like the peddle return switch?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why in the heck would you bypass the pedal return switch?
No you can't bypass the crank sensor.
Either you have a bad sensor, bad wiring to the sensor or to the ECM.

Last edited:

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
What's the deal? Tractor working fine and YouTube not much help? Do I need a new crankshaft sensor r bypass it like the peddle return switch?
I got that code also this morning. First start-up with the temp around 37°. After letting the glowplug light do its thing started then bogged momentarily causing the engine light and the code. Engine light went out on a restart but code remained. Spoke with my dealer's Service head and said it was a false alarm caused when the rpm dipped below 700.
He sent me this procedure to clear the code. (and it cleared)

Press and hold both yellow buttons and turn key on.

Push the right button to scroll to service mode b.

Press and hold the right button to go into service mode b.

The screen should say push or clear.

Press and hold the right button again to clear codes.

When machine says off after beeping a few times, turn key off for at least 10 seconds.

Return to operation as normal.

Reactions: 1 user

Sqidget

Equipment
BX24
Feb 5, 2011
Richmond, RI
Check with your dealer, there are service bulletins addressing this. Units built before a certain manufacturing date there is reprogramming available, if built after another date there is a list of inspections to be made. I have found 2 tractors that had poorly machined holes in the flywheel that the sensor reads. The poor machining leaves flashing or chipping around the hole causing a dirty signal to the ECU

Sqidget

Equipment
BX24
Feb 5, 2011
Richmond, RI
This is a cut and paste portion of the service info.
(sorry but the pictures are in a protected pdf and i can't figure out how to separate them to attach as images.)

Published Date 12/18/2019

Title
L-series, MX series tractors, 03 series Tier 4 engines. Error Code P0336 displayed on dash.

Issue:
The Diagnostic code of P0336 may appear after the software update from PSB-2015-051-R1 has been performed on L3301 and L3901 tractors. It may also appear on L4701, Grand L60, or MX tractors.

Solution:
Several additional factors could allow this code to become active. Check and verify the following.
1. For L3301 and L3901 machines, check to see if it qualifies for PSB-2015-051 and if it does, verify that the ECU software update has been completed. For all other L-series machines, MX machines, or if the aforementioned bulletin has already been performed, proceed to the steps below.
2. Inspect the engine block around the sensor hole. In some cases, the thickness of the paint is great enough to allow too much space between the flywheel and the sensor, leading to a poor reading by the sensor. Remove the paint around the sensor mating surface and reinstall the sensor.
3. Inspect the sensing holes on the flywheel (see attached document) for any burrs, scratches, deformations, or other defects. If the flywheel holes are burred or damaged, de-burr the holes or replace the flywheel. Before installing the new flywheel, verify that the holes are clean and damage free (see to attached document)
4. Inspect the sensor itself for any damage that may have been caused by contact with the flywheel (see attached document). Replace sensor if any damage is found.

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
Sorry you're having issues, hopefully it's a simple fix.

I'm so glad I bought a leftover L3800 rather than buy the new L3901 model at the time. Other than fixing the jerky 3-pt, I can't think of any improvement the new model has over the previous model, and a whole lot of downsides.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
actually the L-01 series (common rail, ecu controlled) does have several improvements compared to the L3800. The engine feels more torquey. It doesn't really make much more power to speak of but the RPM doesn't drop much more than 10 RPM with load changes; the old mechanical can drop as much as 150-200 RPM. It is quieter. It is smoother running. Uses slightly less fuel (and could use less if it weren't for the DPF regeneration). And they don't stink if you're running them in enclosed areas. Some folks are more sensitive to it than others, I'm one of the more sensitive.

Downsides are that they are needy of correct and proper maintenance; as well as needy of a regeneration once in a while. Of course the other argument is that they also cost more to fix once the warranty is up.

I like how they run and make power.

Lastly, clearing the code from the panel doesn't clear it from the ECU. It will be stored in the ECU until a dealer addresses it. Since it is still stored in the ECU it may or may not come back. This is why it's important to address the concern. Along those lines, leaving it stored in the ECU and continuing to run the tractor with potential trouble may affect the regeneration. If regen does not occur properly the DPF may go into soot level 4 or 5, which will require dealer intervention and possibly a cleaning of the DPF. If under warranty, continuation of running with the code stored may or may not affect warranty coverage of the DPF issue. Keep in mind that Kubota's warranty department has gotten real strict. They had no choice. That doesn't mean your warranty is automatically denied; it just means that procrastinating MIGHT affect how well the dealer (at direction of Kubota) takes care of you.

catphil51

Equipment
RFM-72
May 20, 2018
Ashford,Al
I got that code also this morning. First start-up with the temp around 37°. After letting the glowplug light do its thing started then bogged momentarily causing the engine light and the code. Engine light went out on a restart but code remained. Spoke with my dealer's Service head and said it was a false alarm caused when the rpm dipped below 700.
He sent me this procedure to clear the code. (and it cleared)

Press and hold both yellow buttons and turn key on.

Push the right button to scroll to service mode b.

Press and hold the right button to go into service mode b.

The screen should say push or clear.

Press and hold the right button again to clear codes.

When machine says off after beeping a few times, turn key off for at least 10 seconds.

Return to operation as normal.
Thanks . Fixed my problem P0606 on L3301.