New guy, first tractor, cant decide

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
I am ocd about a lot of stuff, but maybe not the gravel drive, but if it is done right it doesn't need anything for years. Mine is quite steep, and has what I call road mix, gravel and clay and sand maybe, it packs pretty well. I was going to touch up some spots where a gully washer moved some gravel, but easier to send a neighbor kid out with a rake to shift it back. 10 minutes. 3 years since I had some new road mix put in, and 20 years before that. Fwiw it is not too bad to snowblow either. The skids dig in until it freezes and so I have to be careful using the FEL valves. After that it can go in float. What I am saying is not much maintenance needed.
That’s fair. But I have a paved driveway now that I need ripped up and gravel put down. The tractor would be good for the gravel part and probably save me $1k or so in labor.

I guess I see a tractor as an investment to make life easier around my house. It might not always be the right tool, but when I have it, it makes the job go well and saves me money (offsets the purchase price of tractor). Yes, they are expensive, but they also keep their value very well and last a long time.

Do I “need” a tractor? Not sure yet. But this thread has been extremely helpful in determining how it can help me and how it may not be the right tool for the jobs I have. Just need to figure out if I have enough jobs around the house that the tractor would be the right “tool”. Right now this is what I think it’s “right” for:

- plowing my 600ft driveway
- moving mulch/topsoil/compost for wife’s raised beds
- building gravel/RAP driveway
- maintaining driveway every x number of years (frost heaves, pot holes, etc)
- building pump track for kids
- helping in-laws out with their needs (very short distance away)
- clearing overgrown “garden” (40x30’ space) previous owners left as a mess

These are what would work but not necessarily the “right” tool:

- mowing ~3 acres
- snow blowing capability in the future
- helping neighbors/friends out :)

And these are not the right things for the tractor that I need:

- ripping up asphalt
- mowing lawn as quick as ZTR

Not sure if this lists is comprehensive and enough to push me to get a tractor, but still learning from everyone here.

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
Lots and lots of things to consider, as you are finding out.

Based on what I've read, if I were you, I would sell the lawn tractor, and buy a nice new or lightly used commercial 60" ZTR for mowing. Pay to have the driveway done, and plowed in the winter. Then, in a couple years, re-access your tractor needs/wants.

Seems like you're more of a "want" than a "need", and that's ok, but I'm not sure you really know what you "want" yet, other than something efficient to mow grass with, which a tractor isn't.

My $.02.
Dalola, I agree that I’m still figuring this all out. However, I don’t like paying for things I could do myself. I expect I’ll pay around 500-600/ year for plowing. So while it would take many years of doing it myself to ROI a tractor, it does start to fill in why a tractor would make sense. I originally was thinking BX2380 as I don’t need a big tractor for my yard. But the extra weight of the B2601 would come in handy plowing. I don’t want a beater truck nor do I want to put wear and tear on my truck with a plow, so I either suck up the $600/yr for plowing, or get a Swiss Army knife.

Sleeping in instead of plowing before work does sound good though....definitely not a clear cut decision!

What are some of the ways homeowners with 3acres of grass utilize a tractor, with no woods and minimal trees on property? Maybe I’m missing something. Or maybe there’s nothing to miss and a tractor isn’t the right fit.

MotorCityBear

Equipment
L3901
Aug 3, 2019
Blairsville, GA
I am in a similar situation. Want vs. Need????

I was about to pull the trigger on a new L3901 with a FEL and brush hog, for my recently acquired 11.5 acres where I now live. I also have another 10 acres about a mile down the road but it is heavily wooded and I am not sure what I will do with that property.

I want to do some land clearing, brush hogging and removal of dead trees on the 11 acres.

I started out looking at the BX series but was advised by 2 different sales people that I needed "more tractor" which is how I ended up at the L3901.

So I spent the last 2 weeks looking at used tractors, hoping to save some money but they were either too well used or not much less than a new tractor.

Now that I have "over-analyzed' this decision, I guess I now to decide, is it a Want or a Need?

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Thanks Michigander. How much do you mow and how long does it take with the 60" mmm?

That's the other thing I've been contemplating. Get a walk behind blower, and a blow or back blade for the B2601/BX2380. That way if I really need to move the snow piles/edges around, I can by hand. Or if we get a big dump, which only happens a couple times a year, I can just walk it. Otherwise, I'll use the tractor for every other snow fall.
The office site property I take care of is 5.1 acres taking out building and parking lots I would guess mowing at least 2 acres +, I have lots of trees , ditches assorted crap to drive around , ruff ground no speed . 2 1/2 hrs on B2601 + not over a 1/2 hour on cub cadet doing ditches + area with too low of tree branches.

Wide open 3 acres you would do under 3 hours

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Personally, I would buy a tractor to maintain the yard, plow snow and move wood. The driveway, I would hire someone to come in and grind up your asphalt in place and mix in some new gravel and compact it in place. The asphalt ground up and into gravel will make a solid driveway. If you remove it, what are you going to do with it? A BX or a B series tractor will do the job of maintaining your property. Don't get talked into buying too big. A small tractor will do the job without breaking the bank unless you have plenty of money to throw around. Many people will say bigger is better, but in reality, a good operator can get the job done with any size tractor. The cheapest and probably the easiest to use for a first time user, in snow removal would be a loader mounted snow plow. If after a year or two you don't like it or can't keep up, then consider a snowblower. Rear blades are fine, but harder to use because you have to look backwards, and if you aren't as good operating the tractor, then you will hate it. I am not sure what part of Vermont you are in, but it must not be in the snow belt if you only have 6" storms.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Matt from your list you have plenty of stuff to do that would make good use of a B or BX with a FEL to start with. Maybe keep the mowing machine you have. It's handy in the summer to use the tractor as a motorized wheelbarrow. I view it as a nuisance to have to take the deck off first, or at least be careful of it. Consider getting a back blade. You can do a lot with dirt and snow with that combination. After a while you can see if you want other stuff after you get used to those, and decide if you need a snow blower.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You've got more tractor stuff to do than I do, I have a BX and am looking to upgrade to a B2601. My father told me before I bought it that once I had it I'd find work every weekend for it, and he was right. On 3 acres that's more likely, particularly since it sounds like you have space, time and inclination to make things like pump tracks. Doing that with a shovel and wheelbarrow would not be fun, doing it with a tractor would be.

A lot of people have different opinions on mowing. I mow about an acre with my BX, takes me less than half an hour. 3 acres a zero turn might mow faster, but if it's straight runs and reasonably flat, and you're not too fussy, I think you can mow pretty fast with a B as well. As I say, I mow my BX as fast as it goes, and sometimes wish it went faster. Of course, it's a BX2350, which is pretty old, it might have lost some speed over the years.

I have never had a GR, so take my statement that a BX or B would mow the same with a grain of salt, but I've never heard anyone say the deck on a GR is better, and it's a bit smaller than a BX, I see no reason it'd mow any different - it's not a zero turn. Sounds like your dealer will rent to try out, that means they may also loan you a deck to see if you like how a BX or B mows. That'd answer your question as to whether keeping the GR makes sense. Also, mowing yourself, at a speed you feel comfortable with, on your property, will tell you how much time saving there may be.

My recollection is the difference in price between the BX and the B isn't much. Also look at Tractor Time with Tim's current series on Youtube about Green v's Orange - the lift capacity difference surprised me, but I do know my BX doesn't lift as much as I want on the 3PH, and sometimes pulling a post out or similar I run out of lift on the FEL as well. On 3 acres I just feel you might want a bit more machine.

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
I will say this

For mowing, its going to be tough to beat a bx series. I have a 2380 and the 60" deck. It cuts as nice as a zero turn

Its able to make tighter turns and doesnt weigh as much as a b series, so its easier on the turf

The fact the bx has mid and rear pto with 3 point, make it even more useful

That being said, if your lawn is flat, wide open area and weight is not much of a concern, Id strongly look at a 2301 or b2601

If my lawn was more flat and open, i would have gone with a b2301 in a heartbeat. To me, that is a perfect tractor. It has great 3 pt lift and loader capacity.

Thats the tractor i was going to buy, but with the trees i have, the bx2380 made more sense

I will say this too. The bx2380 has done everything i asked it to do, and has done it very well.

No complaints here. The bx is the number 1 selling sub compact for a reason. They are built to last

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Backhoe wise BX series you need to go with BX23S

B series Backhoe can be added ,if your wife approves PO do it :D

my wife pushed for buying backhoe I didn't get it soooo she brings it up all the time we need one "she needs one" her latest hint is about $300.00 worth of flowers that need to go in the ground she wants 6" dug out around existing bed is rocky gravel.

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
I want to do some land clearing, brush hogging and removal of dead trees on the 11 acres.

Now that I have "over-analyzed' this decision, I guess I now to decide, is it a Want or a Need?
Motorcitybear, I think you've definitely got a "need" for a tractor, but which tractor can definitely be a "want" vs "need" decision. Good luck with that property, sounds fun!

Wide open 3 acres you would do under 3 hours
Thanks Michigander, that helps me get a better feel.

The driveway, I would hire someone to come in and grind up your asphalt in place and mix in some new gravel and compact it in place. The asphalt ground up and into gravel will make a solid driveway.
The cheapest and probably the easiest to use for a first time user, in snow removal would be a loader mounted snow plow.
BAP, thanks for the comments. I didn't know/think about grinding up asphalt on site. That sounds pretty attractive. I'll have to look into it.

What's your thoughts on getting the loader mounted snow plow vs a QA snow plow w/ use of the 3rd function? Maybe unnecessary, but just looking at everything right now.

Maybe keep the mowing machine you have.

.... Consider getting a back blade. You can do a lot with dirt and snow with that combination. After a while you can see if you want other stuff after you get used to those, and decide if you need a snow blower.
Thanks Sheepfarmer for your comments. You bring up some good points. Maybe I can rent a MMM to test it out. If I like it, sell the GR2120 and buy MMM, if I don't like MMM, keep GR2120. Also, a back blade is definitely something I'm considering. But trying to think if back blade would be better for me than a box blade or land scraper. So many options!

You've got more tractor stuff to do than I do, I have a BX and am looking to upgrade to a B2601.

A lot of people have different opinions on mowing. I mow about an acre with my BX, takes me less than half an hour.
Sounds like your dealer will rent to try out, that means they may also loan you a deck to see if you like how a BX or B mows. That'd answer your question as to whether keeping the GR makes sense. Also, mowing yourself, at a speed you feel comfortable with, on your property, will tell you how much time saving there may be.

My recollection is the difference in price between the BX and the B isn't much. Also look at Tractor Time with Tim's current series on Youtube about Green v's Orange - the lift capacity difference surprised me, but I do know my BX doesn't lift as much as I want on the 3PH, and sometimes pulling a post out or similar I run out of lift on the FEL as well. On 3 acres I just feel you might want a bit more machine.
Thanks Paul. Good to know that I'm not too much in the "want" stage with my list of projects :) Also, good to know on the mowing time. If I can be under 2hrs, that'd be great. Will definitely have to test it out, as you suggested instead of just buying the MMM right away. Having the GR2120 does give me that flexibility, and the money from selling the GR2120, can go right towards the MMM, if thats the path I choose.

I'll have to check out his videos, thanks for the reference. I've spent too many hours, and not enough sleep recently due to GP outdoors!!

For mowing, its going to be tough to beat a bx series. I have a 2380 and the 60" deck. It cuts as nice as a zero turn

That being said, if your lawn is flat, wide open area and weight is not much of a concern, Id strongly look at a 2301 or b2601
Thanks Frostbitten for the comments. That's encouraging to hear the BX cuts as nice as a zero turn. My understanding is the B does a great job as well. And yes, my lawn is mostly flat and wide open. I just counted on google maps and there are about 20 trees on the 3 acres, and they are in 3 main clusters, so some long stretches of back and forth

As for weight, I think the added weight of a B may benefit me. From what I've read (please correct me if this is wrong), but the bigger tires on the B actually reduce ground point pressure of the tires, so it shouldn't rip up the grass much worse than a BX. With the extra weight, will be helpful with push snow and pulling a scraper/blade on my driveway. I'm thinking turf tires, maybe the bar tire. Not sure what's best yet, still more to read on tires...

Backhoe wise BX series you need to go with BX23S

B series Backhoe can be added ,if your wife approves PO do it :D
I'd love a backhoe, but for $5-7k, it doesn't make sense for me. I know we will be planting some trees, ripping out bushes, etc, where it would help. But, I can't justify the cost, or the space needed to keep it when not in use. I'd like to be at $20k if possible, but can go above if it makes sense.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
sounds like a BX would suit you well and would be up to the tasks you have for sure. Perhaps, you could find a used BX23, 24 or 25 with a hoe?

be careful about what you do off of your own property. If going new the zero percent financing is attractive (in rolling in the hoe too) but, be sure to consider the KTAC insurance option.

I had a BX23 (TLBM version) for 12 years. They are capable little workhorses. The larger B that I have now just gets things done faster and is a little beast as well.

Last edited:

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Personally I think zero turns are great at mowing grass and that's all, the other 8 months of the year they are just taking up space. My Bx 2380 and previous 1500 get used all year round mowing, tilling, snow blowing and loader work. Only way to go in my opinion! Good luck on your decision!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
About your mower......
What kind of trade in would you get for that GR? They aren't cheap to begin with. You can keep the mower and skip the deck for the tractor unless the dealer is going to give you a reasonable amount for the trade in....like car dealers they usually do not.
But a BX or a B, either will do the job. If you have a lot of landscaping and obstacles then the BX will be a bit more maneuverable....not unlike the GR.
It will take care of the driveway and any other needs that may come up.
I bought a B because of the larger ground clearance and larger tires.
Here in the Ozarks the ground is rough and the larger tires smooth that out a bit.
I would think that the trade in of the GR may be a big factor in your final decision. Maybe you should give it a try before you decide.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My situation has some things in common with the OP's. We are now at 3-1/2 acres of mowing. Started out with 2-1/4 acres. When we had 2-1/4 it took about 90 minutes to mow with a 60" RFM. We got a 72" RFM when went to 3-1/2 acres, and it took the same amount of time to mow the larger area. We have trees, a creek, bridge, sheds, etc to mow around. Recently went with a 90" RFM and I've slowed down to enjoy life. It takes a tad over an hour with the big deck.

Snow is feast or famine here. Since '90 I've used a manually adjustable front blade on Cub, rear blades (Ford 1210, Kubota B7500 & L3200), FEL's (on the B7500, L3200 & L4240), rear blower (L3200 & L4240), power angle 8' front blade (L4240). Blower is fun but I plan to sell it with the L3200. Compared with my favorite - PA front blade, the blower is slow. It does toss the snow a good distance but isn't good for doing parking lots I take care of. The lot dimensions are great enough the snow needs re-blown and that's a problem.

"Getting by" would be possible with my little Ford 1210 and a couple 3-point attachments. The L4240 was the end result over the past 30 years of upgrading. Always wanting a few more horses, more capable FEL, a bigger RFM, etc and finally at my tender young age of 70 -A/C:)

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I was in the want vs need category and very quickly realized I dont "need" the vast majority of the things I enjoy using. The things I pay extra for make my life easier, give me enjoyment and are a reward for my hard work.

Some people spend money on fast cars they dont need, others gamble it, others buy sports tickets, others take vacations or such.

IMHO whenever you can combine an object that you both want AND can find use for AND you can afford it, its a great situation.

I got a BX1880 as I hardly have even the needs you do. Mainly, I wanted a much more robust snowblowing setup and I had a bunch of work that needed a FEL which would be spread out over a few years making renting equipment far less than desirable.

I am consistently shocked how often I use it for other things. Last weekend I used the FEL to hang my kid's heavy tire swing and get my canoe up on the roof of my SUV.

When I was debating all this and knew I was going to finance it I was somewhat obsessing over making the right decision. My wife pointed out that since I get dunks each day with a bagel, I spend about as much per month on coffee and donuts as my monthly payment would be to get the tractor. Good perspective for me and we both agree it has been beyond helpful in ways we never anticipated.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Hi guys I am jumping into the discussion here(my first post). I just ordered my new Kubota B2650 and I am anxiously waiting for it all to arrive. I have about 14 acres of property to maintain and clean up and eventually we will build a house there too.

I went through a lot of the same back and forth on models, watched a ton of videos, but the best is going and putting your butt in the seat. Neil from Messicks convinced me on that. My local dealer was cool about letting me test out several models ( B2601, B2650, B3350, and the L2501), So that would be my recommendation.

After test driving the BX I ruled it out, I really didn't like the feel and how I was positioned, plus I was already on the fence regarding its ability to run implements I wanted. This might not be a factor for you though and John Ritter does amazing things with his BX.

I dropped the L2501, as I wanted to have a front mount blower, and this requires the mid pto, but if you dont want a MMM or a front blower the L2501 is a good option in comparison, and less expensive (at least at my dealer) than the B series. The B3350 I dropped because I didn't need the extra power, and I had read of some issues with the DPF on the B3350 too, and the larger engine also meant a insurance bump on my homeowner policy.

Between the B2601 and B2650 I liked that ride on the B2650 more, it was really what sealed the deal, the extra power on the FEL and the larger BH didnt hurt either. When I drove them and played with he FEL, I liked the B2650 better, and since I am planning on keeping my tractor until it dies (or I do:)) that was what was really important to me.

My advice, and Neil's, go put your butt in a seat and give it a try it. You will be spending a lot of hours there so you should make sure it fits you as well as your tasks

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I'll have to check to see, we are moving in a few weeks, so not sure what people use yet. Would a plow eliminate the problem that back blades create? meaning I could create bigger mounds of snow? My driveway is not bracketed by anything, so I could push plenty of snow piles off the side of the driveway thoughout its entire length.

I did speak with my local dealer about this and he suggested just getting a rear blade and/or front plow/blade. If I really needed a snow blower, then come back, but thought I'd be fine without one. We get a lot of 2-6" storms, and maybe 1 or 2 >10" storms a year. My town averages right around 100" per year.

Good to know on the driveway demo. If I buy through my closest local dealer, I get free 2day rental. I could maybe use that rental to get the right tool for demo of the driveway then put gravel down and maintain it with the BX2380 or B2601.
If you have room to push the snow, a front blade is best. A back blade looses its luster when you have a foot or so to move and you want it nice and clean...because the tires will have already run over the snow before you scrape it. Also if you have a big snow and not enough ground clearance on the tractor then it isnt much fun driving through it to use the rear blade. The front blade is much better if you have the room. That said, tractors are made for pulling...so a front blade is at a disadvantage as far as the weight of snow it can handle. On a B2601 this may become a problem. You can solve it by pushing smaller amounts at a time. It will take you longer, but pushing say 4 ft of snow on a 6ft plow blade might be necessary in wet snows. This is always the issue....you never quite know how your particular situation will work out until you get some hours trying it. If my snow is pushed downhill and yours uphill....it might make a huge difference!

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
I have a BX 23s with a 60 MMM on 70 hours on it. The mower works fine, but I can tell you putting it on is not as easy as the videos show. At 60 years and getting my 2nd titanium knee in Oct I am not sure that the MMM wont be replaced with a ZT or another dedicated mower.

If I had it to do over, I would go bigger. It seems there is always more I can do with the tractor as I get more seat time. My most recent purchase pallet forks are great, I use them from lifting the MMM to clean it an swap blades to moving rocks for landscaping.

I have found the FEL capacity has been an issue for me.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The B2601 mower on and off is easier - since it's drive over. To be clear, you can drive over the deck, but it doesn't auto attach - so you still have to bend down and attach the drive shaft.

Some people don't like dragging the mower out - drive over sorts that. Some people don't like attaching the drive shaft - and you need the BX easy tach thing if that's what you need. But to be honest I think I'd look at green at that point - their mower deck attach system is just better.

Trackerjoe

Equipment
B2650
Oct 31, 2018
Spokane, WA
1) Whatever you decide on -- it won't be big enough.
2) I have a B2650 which I think is an awesome machine. Use it to maintain dirt driveway and 10 acres of forest maintenance. I wouldn't use it to try to remove asphalt, even if it is broken up. Hire that out to someone with a big machine and a way to haul all that asphalt away.