Easy question...fuel canisters?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
But why bother with a screw? Just leave the hole open, it's just an eights of an inch.

I thought the purpose of the cap was to keep foreign matter out, like water.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
But why bother with a screw? Just leave the hole open, it's just an eights of an inch.

I thought the purpose of the cap was to keep foreign matter out, like water.
I think that would work too, but I feel "Safer" with it plugged with the screw unless I am ready to fill

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Gotta love it when the gummit gets involved. Just like Tier 4....lol

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I too don't like diesel fuel on my paint. I don't use enough fuel to invest in anything larger than 5 gallon can. I bought a Justrite fuel can. I bought it as the suggestion of one of our members, Sidecar I think. Anyway it's all metal and doesn't leak a drop. They are kinda pricey but I don't foresee ever needing to replace it.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I too don't like diesel fuel on my paint. I don't use enough fuel to invest in anything larger than 5 gallon can. I bought a Justrite fuel can. I bought it as the suggestion of one of our members, Sidecar I think. Anyway it's all metal and doesn't leak a drop. They are kinda pricey but I don't foresee ever needing to replace it.
I also use the JustRite cans... and I believe it was also because of Sidecar's suggestion.

Like Bmbbm said, they aren't cheap, but they don't leak a drop. And they feel like they will last forever. I have two yellow cans for diesel and two red cans for gas.

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-725...dustrial&sprefix=justri,industrial,173&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-725...te+gas+can&qid=1579100424&s=industrial&sr=1-4

They make other sizes, but it's difficult to find a yellow one with a flex hose that is less than 5 gallons.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I use just 5 gallon metal cans for my gas and diesel. My L2501 has a 10 gallon tank, so when I get to 1/4 tank left, I fill up my 5 gallon gan and put it straight into the tank. Given Im only really using the tractor on weekends, and not every single weekend, It takes a couple weeks usually to drop back to 1/4 tank. I dont want to have a bigger can, cause Ill end up storing fuel in my garage for weeks and run into storage issues. I just dont use my equipment enough to warrant more volume being on hand. The way I do it now, I keep fresh diesel in the engine all the time (given the diesel at the gas station isnt old of course)

You can buy this can at both Lowes and Tractor supply, or amazon. They have been good cans. They have a little funnel that goes on the end to control the pour. Very similar to the Justrite cans that are also highly reviewed metal cans. They have a spring loaded cap that clamps shut. Its a strong enough closure that I can turn the can upside down with 5 gallons in it and it doesnt leak.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-...city/dp/B0030VGYWO?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I just had to fix a leaking tank on my M9000 and used a 5 gallon can to put fuel in it so I could get it back to my bulk tank. I hated having to do it once after being used to using electric pumps. I don't see how you guys do it all the time but I burn quite a bit of fuel.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I just had to fix a leaking tank on my M9000 and used a 5 gallon can to put fuel in it so I could get it back to my bulk tank. I hated having to do it once after being used to using electric pumps. I don't see how you guys do it all the time but I burn quite a bit of fuel.
So do I (we both have the same size fuel tanks). I'd find it very tedious to use a 5 gallon can to fill either of mine at 27 gallons per fill (from empty). Much easier to flip on the tank pump and fill them. I do have an alternative. The filling station up town sells ORD at the pump so I drive them up town and fill them when I'm heading to my remote fields. Fill them and get an ice cream bar too. Quite a bit of tractor traffic at those pumps. I've had to wait in a tractor line before...lol I'm the only orange tractor though.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I also use the JustRite cans... and I believe it was also because of Sidecar's suggestion.

Like Bmbbm said, they aren't cheap, but they don't leak a drop. And they feel like they will last forever. I have two yellow cans for diesel and two red cans for gas.

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-725...dustrial&sprefix=justri,industrial,173&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-725...te+gas+can&qid=1579100424&s=industrial&sr=1-4

They make other sizes, but it's difficult to find a yellow one with a flex hose that is less than 5 gallons.
That would be me. I have 2 that I carry my 'just in case' diesel in and a red one for the lawnmower. great, American made product.

degoniaorange82

Equipment
l2501hst, 5ft. tiller, box blade and finnish mower, subsoiler and plow
Nov 9, 2017
southwest indiana
as bigG said, a 5gl can[any kind] sitting on the loader arm is above the tank. A "shaker" siphon hose [cheap at auto parts store] is my method, and no fuel on the paint.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
So do I (we both have the same size fuel tanks). I'd find it very tedious to use a 5 gallon can to fill either of mine at 27 gallons per fill (from empty). Much easier to flip on the tank pump and fill them. I do have an alternative. The filling station up town sells ORD at the pump so I drive them up town and fill them when I'm heading to my remote fields. Fill them and get an ice cream bar too. Quite a bit of tractor traffic at those pumps. I've had to wait in a tractor line before...lol I'm the only orange tractor though.
I wonder if yours are like mine. The OS only holds 23 gallons and the Cab holds 30.

Funny how things are about the same down here. When I fill up at my local station I'm normally the only orange tractor there to and it's hard to pass up the ice cream.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You are right (I looked, 23 and 30. Not sure why, the saddle tanks look identical on both. Might have something to do with filler location, the cab fills on the left parallel with the cab step, the os fills behind the the rops next to the tool box and it is a royal PITA to fuel up. Filler is way too high up for my liking.

Have a thing for a fresh vanilla ice cream sandwich on a hot summer day. Make a beeline for the cooler before paying my fuel bill.

OS left a little while ago for the dealer. Came with the rollback and I drove it on. Put shackles on the front and back to tie it down.

Supposed to get nasty here tomorrow, 6-8" of snow and then rain the next day so back to mud real quick.

I may put the plow on but I may not either. Depends on my mood. Certainly no snowblower, that can stay in the barn where it's been for 4 years now.:)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wondered if there was some kind of option on the tanks. I always thought the tanks looked alike as well but guess not.

I could think of 2 different things on the tank size.

The cab models have more HP so they figured it would burn more fuel than a OS.

Or they figured a person was more likely to run longer with a cab so it has a bigger tank.

Who really knows.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about snow. I love to see snow but don't like to work in it.