5740 front engine oil seal

Blackdodgeram

Jan 26, 2020
New Richmond, WI USA
I have a 2013 Kubota 5740 HST with a cab. The front engineer oil seal is leaking pretty good. I will be doing it myself. I have put seals in IH 414, and 436 engines before. Has anyone done one on this engine? Just looking for some tips and wondering if it's just taking balancer off and pulling the seal or if there is a lot more involved. I know all lot of stuff has to get moved out of the way first. Just looking for info on seal replacement itself. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Do it from the bottom, not a difficult job. Remove the lower crank pulley and replace the seal (some models come with s wear sleeve, some don't). Drop the oil level first or you'll get a face full and pop the old seal out with a pick or screwdriver but be careful not to gouge the sealing surface on the cover casting.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hardest part is removing the pulley nut. Not a lot of room. When you remove the pulley, try to use a 3 jaw puller and not pry it off, the front case is alloy and don't like to be pried against.

Many things can cause them to weep but constant overfilling of the crankcase is a major one. Stay between the lines on the dipstick, preferrably a bit below the 'full' mark.

I have a leaker myself but the dealer is doing it as it's in the shop for other stuff as well. Last one on my other M, I did myself from the bottom. Started weeping at 1000 hours and I ignored it for a while but it was building crud around the pulley so I washed it off and replaced it. Might want to renew the fan belt while you are there.

I read your comment about the rear wiper being unavailable. I'd think that many models would fit, might want to talk to your parts guy about that.

Blackdodgeram

Jan 26, 2020
New Richmond, WI USA
I did have it about a quart or so over full. I don't know how I did that I know better. I took some oil out so it's below the full mark. Any chance it will slow down or stop if I caught it in time or no? Any opinions. I called all over on the wiper. Nothing else is the same they all say. Messinks was a ton of help looking for it but no luck.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Usually, when they start leaking there is no stopping it but you can try I guess. It's not an involved job other than laying on your back on the concrete and working over your head.

I hate leaks of any kind myself. Both my M's are getting up in years 2002 and 2004 but I try to keep them tidy underneath.

You might try a local dealer or maybe someone on here will chime in. I find it hard to believe the rear wiper assembly don't fit more than one model.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your going to do it, do it right, replacing just the seal is a waste of time, replace all the three parts that involves the sealing.

210 crank seal
140 sleeve (this is what the seal rides on and seals to)
150 O-ring (seen this left out and not replaced many a time and they wonder why it's still leaking)

Attachments

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Dont know how similar this engine is to a D-1105 engine, but i replaced my crankshaft seal on my B2410 a few months back. Replaced the seal and O-ring, the sleeve was in excellent shape and I saw no need to repair after getting it apart.

I pulled the gear cover off my tractor, tapped the old seal out from the back side and pressed the new one in. Not a big deal, hardest part was getting the nut off of the harmonic balancer - I used a socket and wrench up against the frame and bumped the motor to break it loose, worked like a charm (didn't pull the oil cooler off the front, so access was still limited even with the radiator removed).

Be sure to replace the o-ring. It was about $2 and it would royally suck to have to go back and do the work again because you missed that part or didn't want to buy a new one.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No need to remove the front cover unless you need it off for other things not related to the leaking seal.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Told you at the outset, from the bottom. I don't know about the access on your tractor but on my M's, the lower perforated screen has to come off (4 bolts), slacken the alternator and if applicable the ac belt, the nut that holds the pulley on, pull the pulley and remove the seal, sleeve and o ring and replace and reassemble. Not sure of the torque setting on the nut but it's in the WSM. I have nothing in the 'way' except my front dif 4wd actuator cable. Yours may be different but probably not much. Pulley nut access is limited. Other than that it's straight forward.

Blackdodgeram

Jan 26, 2020
New Richmond, WI USA
Told you at the outset, from the bottom. I don't know about the access on your tractor but on my M's, the lower perforated screen has to come off (4 bolts), slacken the alternator and if applicable the ac belt, the nut that holds the pulley on, pull the pulley and remove the seal, sleeve and o ring and replace and reassemble. Not sure of the torque setting on the nut but it's in the WSM. I have nothing in the 'way' except my front dif 4wd actuator cable. Yours may be different but probably not much. Pulley nut access is limited. Other than that it's straight forward.
Thank you very much for the info.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you lived close, you could bring it by and I'd do it for you. My labor rate is $50 bucks an hour and $100 an hour if you stand over me asking stupid questions and making useless comments........:D:D

Blackdodgeram

Jan 26, 2020
New Richmond, WI USA
Dug into it tonight. There is no way it can be done from the bottom on this model. Radiator for sure has to come out and possibly oil cooler. I think the AC condenser may have to go too just to get radiator out. Plus the steel lines for power steering are right in front of pulley and have to get unhooked to even get a puller on the balancer. Doesn't look fun.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Perhaps document the details along with pictures to help those who may need to perform the same task in the future.

Good luck!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The front pulley is just that a pulley not a harmonic balancer, Kubota's don't use those.

I don't specifically about your L, but on my older L you need to drop the front axle to get the pulley off the crank. ;)