Hurry up and wait

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Pulled the trigger on a hydraulic top link for my B2650 yesterday. After reading so many positive posts and reviews, I went with a cylinder and flow restrictor kit from Brian at Fit Rite. Hope it’s worth it, as the lead time is quoted at 20 weeks! If that holds, I’ll see it mid-June.

Opted to not get a tilt cylinder at this time, as I rarely want to tilt anything. I will have two rear remotes, because I want to add an angle cylinder to my landscape rake. If I do decide to add a tilt to the 3-pt, I’ll have a remote available for it.

Other than a weird issue with payment, the ordering process was super convenient. I called and talked to Brian long enough to have all questions answered, and Diane helped through the payment issue. Still not sure what happened, or why, but the system they use for payment would decline my card immediately each time I tried online. I use the same card for PayPal transactions, so I tried that. Worked fine. Glad it all worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
wow you've got patience ! 20 WEEKS ?? I have to ask why so long ?

Two options that I can see...

1). Super lazy and doesn’t want to do anything.

2). One man operation with what appears to be a solid reputation and following. Conscious about the product he provides, and is not willing to cut corners to get faster turnaround when he gets backed up. I am one small customer, and spent about 10 minutes on the phone with Brian. That put him 10 minutes further behind on production or shipping. I have no idea how many 10 minute calls he fields in a week.
I don’t like the 20 week lead time either, but do appreciate that he is upfront and honest about it. I’m assuming he values the evenings and weekends enough to limit his working hours to what he and his family are comfortable with. If I was unable to wait, I would have gone somewhere else. I don’t need the cylinder this spring, so it’s no problem. Might be different if I waited till May to shop...

For anyone who isn’t good at filtering through or detecting sarcasm, I would like to make sure that you know I don’t believe option #1 is the issue...

Plus, this gives me 20 weeks to build the rear remote setup!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
So I take it, this is more than just a cylinder and a valve? Maybe a totally complete, ready to bolt on 'kit', custom made to fit your tractor series ??

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
So I take it, this is more than just a cylinder and a valve? Maybe a totally complete, ready to bolt on 'kit', custom made to fit your tractor series ??

It’s a cylinder. If I understood correctly, he just builds each cylinder as they’re ordered. A small one-man operation likely can’t afford the overhead of having piles of cylinders sitting on a shelf, ready to go. You call him up, figure out what you want, place the order, and get in line to wait your turn.

Valves are readily available. I followed another thread in here and will use that info to source my remote parts. I have a hydraulic shop close that will build my hoses.

It’s a long time, for sure. I have the time, and have the feeling that it’ll be ok to wait.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
hmm.. something like this ??

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-1-2-in-bore-x-10-in-stroke-top-link-cylinder/A-p8699456e

$200 Canucks, so 150 greenbacks ??

Princess Auto will make 'custom' cylinders, out of Winnipeg, usually 7-10 days. Some built 25 years ago still work fine...

just thinking of options, and you guys 'south of the 49th' have more than me !!

https://www.princessauto.com/en/search?Dy=1&Nty=1&Ntt=top+link+cylinder

middle one seems the same and 20 Canucks cheaper ! locally stocked too.

Jay

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Thanks for helping explain the lead time Brian. I look forward to seeing that brown box show up on my step!

Truth be told, I wanted to place the order about 6 weeks ago, but was a little put off by the lead time. Dammit. I would be 6 weeks closer if I’d just done it then!!!

It’s all good Man. It’ll get here when it gets here, and I’ll put it to use. I will report back when I get it all hooked up and running.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
hmm.. something like this ??

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-1-2-in-bore-x-10-in-stroke-top-link-cylinder/A-p8699456e

$200 Canucks, so 150 greenbacks ??

Princess Auto will make 'custom' cylinders, out of Winnipeg, usually 7-10 days. Some built 25 years ago still work fine...

just thinking of options, and you guys 'south of the 49th' have more than me !!

https://www.princessauto.com/en/search?Dy=1&Nty=1&Ntt=top+link+cylinder

middle one seems the same and 20 Canucks cheaper ! locally stocked too.

Jay
Have you tried the PA unit yet? Ive been keeping an eye on the flyer for them to go on sale again.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Those ones are made in Korea and I'vd used their hydraulic pumps and linear actuators for years, ZERO problems. I've also used Shur-Lift ( PA house brand) cylinders since mid 70s, even had custom cylinders made over the years.

Any problems ? , NO hassle, PA returns are easy...
They even took back an item I'd had, collecting dust for over a YEAR. Got store credit,spent more than that 20 minutes later...

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bought the princess auto CAT2 cylinder on sale. PA was offering free shipping due to Covid and I got the cylinder for $169. I added two 4 foot x 1/2” hoses and 45 degree swivels for another $40.

The unit works well but only has a 10 inch stroke compared to fitrite’s 12 inch. A little more stroke would have been nice. There is no check valve which would have been another nice feature.

Overall it works good for CDN$210. Makes using my grader blade way easier and faster to fine tune grades, spreads and cuts.

Eventually I will fab up the tilt cylinder When I have the time and find the right sized cylinder on sale.

Fitrite’s system looks really nice but at USD$1200 plus shipping plus duties plus exchanges it would have cost me about CDN$2000 to my door.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I found this top link, it is a bit longer compressed than my factory top link(17" center to center) but the extended length is right (28")
This one is closer compressed, but short extended. It does have the check valve.
As well as this one.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
@Chad D. have you received this yet?

I did! I’ve had it for several weeks now. Unfortunately, I dawdled around in ordering hydraulic valve and other necessary parts do I can put it to work.
Cylinder is all ready to roll. I’ve got my valve stack assembled, painted, and ready to go. I measured hoses yesterday and will have them made this week when I make it to that side of town. Banjo fitting is ordered for the 3-pt pressure port so I can make that connection.
If all goes well and no shipping issues, I should be in business next weekend.

Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I ordered from Brian at FitRite for a top link to fit my MX5800 2 years ago it was a nice fit and operates well.

I decided recently to add a Hydraulic Top Link to fit my Kubota L3901 but do not want to wait the 20 weeks. I just measured my regular top link from center of pin to center of pin for minimum and maximum length and found a stock hydraulic unit with check valve that should be a great fit. Just waiting for delivery this week.

Category 1 Hydraulic Top Link 20 7/8" - 31 7/8"