BX2680 3-Pt Float

TLK

Equipment
BX2680 w/ FEL, MMM and 3-pt blower
Jan 9, 2020
Wentworth, SD
Used my rear-mount snowblower for the first time on my new BX2680. On my previous 2230, the blower would drop to the ground and stay there, allowing me to scrape the ground surface. On the 2680, the cutting blade of the blower will drop to the ground but will not stay there. It wants to bounce up over the not-perfectly-smooth country road, leaving up to an inch or so of snow on the road, which inevitably turns to ice. Is there a way to keep the 3-pt all the way down?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Gravity is the only thing holding the 3ph and its attachments down. Not sure if adding more weight is a good option for your snowblower, in which case you may need to slow down to maintain better ground contact.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Try threading your top link out to make a little longer.

Just a guess, but thinking maybe it's a little short compared to what your BX2230 needed, and causing the cutting edge to not have an aggressive aspect and lift?

TLK

Equipment
Jan 9, 2020
Wentworth, SD
I was told elsewhere that I need to hold the control "down" or the blower will not stay down. Gonna rig a bungee cord to do that. Also gonna tip the blower a bit to increase the angle of attack and maybe the cutting edge will bite better. THANKS

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Check you descent speed valve (usually under the seat) to see if it's not letting the three point drop quickly. You may be forcing it up with the bumps then it's just slow going back down.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was told elsewhere that I need to hold the control "down" or the blower will not stay down. Gonna rig a bungee cord to do that. Also gonna tip the blower a bit to increase the angle of attack and maybe the cutting edge will bite better. THANKS
Can someone with a BXxx80 confirm this, on most tractors this will put the valve into overload and deadhead the system, I'm just not sure on the BX's if they work like that or not. :confused:

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Can someone with a BXxx80 confirm this, on most tractors this will put the valve into overload and deadhead the system, I'm just not sure on the BX's if they work like that or not. :confused:
I see this working to an extent. Dropping the 3ph until it stops, then going, leaves the 3ph where it ended its travel when it landed. Holding it down let's it drop through undulations. This will let the 3ph float. This is how I run the tiller.

I don't believe there is any hydraulic flow with the 3ph lowered. The system is just relieved. Gravity does the work in that direction.

Not sure putting a bunjee back there is a good idea though. Not something I would try.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Had the same issue with my BX23S-AU (80 series)

If you look between the lever and the seat you will see a slot
This opens up when the lever is in the down position

All you need to do is make something to go in the slot. I used some flat bar. With a few bends creates a great tool that I keep in the toolbox.

I posted a pic of the slot here
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=318230&postcount=11

If you need a pic of the tool i made let me know and i'l post that for you

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
One additional item to check is which set of 3 point lifting holes you are using.

I'm unsure if the new BX series has a second set of lift holes. If so, follow the directions in the pic below (this image is from a operators manual of my B model, but the implication is the same). I believe hole B would allow the attachment to drop lower.

Attachments

TLK

Equipment
Jan 9, 2020
Wentworth, SD
Got it figured out. Opened the descent control valve nearly all the way. Blower will drop kinda fast, but it drops on snow, so that is OK. Tilted the blower a little back by making the top link longer. The cutter blade engages better. Still gotta hit the "down" lever occasionally, but it is a lot better now.

Thanks to all the hints, tips and advice.

Cheers,

TK

Lizlec

Equipment
BX1870-1 + LA203A FEL + B2789 3PT SB + 54" HLA1500 Snowpusher
Feb 4, 2018
Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada
The BX have a "quarter inch" valve for the 3pt instead of a position lever as most tractors ... the default is if the bars are lifted by ground level variation it will then stay at this position, so yes you will have to press down on the lever again and again and there's not much that can be done.