Lap Log

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I use the ear muffs with the blower too.

But lot a damage done 40 years ago... bought a guitar to punish to my ma ... didn’t like school ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The court found JDeere liable because ballasting the rear was on their own dealer checklist and they didn't do it. I am not familiar with that tractor but it says it is a compact tractor, so if the manufacturer thinks it is that unstable with a loader that they put it on the predelivery checklist it might mean something about that group of tractors. Or not. I have a very fuzzy memory that one of their economy compact tractors has a non removable loader.

I overheard a phone conversation the Kubota tech had with a customer he was selling an L3560 to. One of his neighbors, their first tractor, while the tech does some serious farming when not working at the dealership, and he was recommending they load the tires. Interesting, because the owner of the dealership told me he hated filled tires, he gets an outside company to come in and do it. The owner while having grown up around the dealership (it was his dad's originally) and big equipment, doesn't farm or do construction.

I view myself as lucky to not get hurt with the Ford 8 n. A neighbor and I went in halvsies to buy it 30 years ago and it had rear tires loaded with CaCl2, but I didn't know it for many years. I think my neighbor told me not to run it with the loader up high, but that was it. I thought the filled tires were for traction. I ordered the 3560 the same way. Didn't know they might save my bacon when one of the front wheels went in a hole.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: ...it had rear tires loaded with CaCl2, but I didn't know it for many years.

wow, you never had a flat tire !!!

Be super careful when changing loaded tires. 600# tires WILL get away from you, so RUN the other way when it starts to fall !! Do NOT try to 'save it', the natural instinct, you'll break bones for sure.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Loaded tires not only add ballast but also ride smoother.

As previously mentioned, your fun starts when you have a flat....both with the tire and also with the tire repair shop.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I know the owner/operator of the original post's pictured tractor accident.

This guy owns a tree removal business. Very successful I might add. And he's been doing it for a long time. Was JP for a while locally as well.

The nature of that business is that it's dangerous, and he knows it.

I spoke with him earlier, the hood on the tractor is surprisingly in good shape, nice dent right in front of the panel, rest of it is fine. Dash and everything attached/under it junk. STeering wheel is trashed. Steering column trashed. Blood all over the seat/op station. Everyone said he's fortunate to still be with us--and he's finally realizing HOW fortunate he is now that the shock has worn off. His face was destroyed, or it looked like it initially but today it looked 1000% better, almost normal.

He ordered a 3rd function and a grapple. I think he's got it on his other (smaller) tractor but the bigger one is newer and he hasn't needed it and it's kind of in the way for certain jobs. Well it's just going to have to be in the way now as it's on the way.

It was suggested that he's an idiot, no, actually he's quite intelligent. It was suggested that an SVL might be a better tool for his work, but an SVL will tear the turf up a lot more than the tractor does, and there's a lot of folks locally who have beautifully manicured lawns and are SUPER anal about "hurting" the grass. I mean y'all just don't even know; I deal with it daily. So the tractor doesn't tear it up as bad, in a lot of cases doesn't hurt it at all after a good raking you can't even tell he's been there. He's VERY good at what he does; probably the best in the area. Contracts with several government entities for tree removal/etc, did the freeway last year and it's awesome now (instead of growed up/ratty looking).

This instance was an accident. Could it have been prevented? Sure. Hindsight is always spot-on. Sit at the house and do nothing, draw a check for sitting on the couch from the government...hard to have accidents when you ain't doing nothing.

Everyone (including Tom) knows that tractors are dangerous tools, whether it be for farming, hobby farming, loader work, bush hogging, or just driving around like some people do, they can be dangerous. And finally, his experience is one that we can all use to explore ways to be more responsible in our own tractoring experience. Trust me, I see this kind of stuff ALL the time. Full load of rock, loader bucket about 6 foot in the air, tractor traveling full speed across a pasture, hit a gopher hole and over it goes. Or pick tractor up at the shop and don't bother to throw a chain on it. Falls off on our illustrious freeways that are smooth as alligator skin. I ain't seen it all yet but after 3 decades in the business, I have seen more than I needed to. And now I am hearing reports that a widow filed suit against Deere for not stating that tractors are dangerous, or something along those lines....I understand that $5M was "won". Attorney just got rich.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I do not agree with government intervention in any of this stuff. Aren't you supposed to be responsible for yourself. The owners manuals explain lots of things including the safety factors. Read it. Have you read the owners manual for your tractor and the equipment to go with it? I am guessing not....After the headlines someone else cleans up the mess. Ya gotta learn to look out for yourself.
You guessed wrong. I read every manual. I even go way out of my way to obtain manuals for obsolete equipment I have because I love reading technical/operating manuals. I’m religious about it.

There’s a difference between reading the manual and having the experience to do any job for which the equipment is intended. I’ll bet you had some guidance from someone (father, brother, other) before you operated equipment and that advice cautioned you about things the manuals did not cover. The typical manuals generically cover only basic operations, and not all the imaginative ways inexperienced (that means someone who hasn’t been properly instructed) new owners can attempt with their new equipment.
What’s wrong with gov’t advice. That’s not intervention. It helps both ways...it helps the new owner avoid accidents...and THAT helps mfr’rs/sellers avoid liability issues. Not all gov’t work is harmful. MOST of it is good. Lots of people just have “authority” issues and resent not being allow to blast off willy-nilly.... then blame others when things go wrong because they neither read the manual AND there was no regulation. Without govt regulation/oversight so-called “doctors” could sell out of medicine-shows and put leeches on your neck to cure your flu. The list goes on...