L2501 Hydraulics - How far is too far?

BotaTrac

Equipment
Kubota B25D, Kubota L305DT, Kubota L2501D, Ford 681 Select-O-Speed
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Hi all.......I have a 2 year-old L2501D with a LA525 FEL. I serviced it today and just for "HA-HA's" I threw a pressure gauge on the hydraulics.

According to Kubota, The L2501 hydraulics operate at 2205PSI. Mine was 2057PSI. No big deal, I understand this kind of thing happens over time and I have a couple shim kits for the BX (which also fit the L2501).

I read a post where one guy said he was going to increase his L2501 with an LA525 FEL to a max pressure of 2500PSI. I've always been of the thought that raising max hydraulic pressure 10% is a pretty safe bet (taking into account the extra wear and tear on the machine) as the manufacturer often keeps the specs a bit low to guarantee mechanical engineering.

So I was thinking that anything worth doing is worth over-doing

That said, the allure of having just a bit more lift is upon me. What do you guys think about that 2500PSI adjustment??

Yay or Nay??

........Remember, God HATES a coward!!!

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
In my line of work everyone always believes they need max pressure to operate. Funny thing is they do not. Why max out something just because you can. Does the current lift pressure do the job you have asked it to? If you need to crank up the pressure maybe you should have bought a bigger unit. My two cents says nay. But hey if you want to blow out the seals in every part of your tractor be my guest.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Well said KennysNewFarm! Thanks for contributing to the thread. I do agree with you. I don't need a bigger tractor as everything I need to do - my equipment does just fine. But I have become addicted to buying more and more implements as time goes on. I never seem to have enough.

Knowing that excessive pressure will eventually cause damage of some kind, IS 2500PSI too far? If I stick to my 10% rule, and the spec sheet calls for 2205PSI and that would bring me up to 2425PSI......which I believe would be a safe "jump."

I wish I could find the guy who claimed that he turned his up (or was planning on turning his up) to 2500PSI just to see if he encountered any problems and if so, what were they.....

Aside from the mechanical issues that could occur, think of the safety issues from an operational side - the tractor only weighs so much and countering the heavy lift could bring on its own perils; especially when turning or operating on a grade.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what percentage do the Kubota engineers use as the buffer zone and are there machines out there that HAVE experienced increased pressures of 300lbs and still function properly?

I'm a retired tactical operator. In that world - uninvolved humans or "John Q-Public" are always the weakest link in any operation. You can't predict what they're going to do so you have to assume they will do exactly the wrong thing when the mission starts to heat up in their presence.....and then account for that.

Then, with liability laws the way they are, is it possible that tractor manufacturers reduce their max hydraulic operating pressures by 30% or more?

And if so, do you guys think they do that for safety and or longevity of the equipment and hydraulic components or both??

Finally, are there any Kubota machines out there that are running excessively high pressures for more than a year or so out there without any catastrophic component failures?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I'd also consider the likelihood the pressure gauge is not accurate.

For reference most commercial pressure gauges are not that accurate (see attachment)

Attachments

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
AAaaahhh..... Good idea! My son dropped my old gauge a few months back and all the glycerin leaked out so I bought a new one last week. I will check the gauge this afternoon. I know my BX was about 5lbs under spec at 2000RPM in October. It was the last time I used the old gauge. Plus, we are enjoying unusually warm temperatures in the Northeast due to the storms in the south this weekend.

Which reminds me.....

My prayers are with those who have lost so much the weekend due to torrential rains, high winds, hail and tornado's in Louisiana and the surrounding states.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hi all.......I have a 2 year-old L2501D with a LA525 FEL. I serviced it today and just for "HA-HA's" I threw a pressure gauge on the hydraulics.

According to Kubota, The L2501 hydraulics operate at 2205PSI. Mine was 2057PSI. No big deal, I understand this kind of thing happens over time and I have a couple shim kits for the BX (which also fit the L2501).

I read a post where one guy said he was going to increase his L2501 with an LA525 FEL to a max pressure of 2500PSI. I've always been of the thought that raising max hydraulic pressure 10% is a pretty safe bet (taking into account the extra wear and tear on the machine) as the manufacturer often keeps the specs a bit low to guarantee mechanical engineering.

So I was thinking that anything worth doing is worth over-doing

That said, the allure of having just a bit more lift is upon me. What do you guys think about that 2500PSI adjustment??

Yay or Nay??

Since its not my machine I say go for it. Those Kubota engineers are just overly conservative ninnies, you dont win races with 100 percent factors of safety.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Makes me think about the guy that adds a power booster to his diesel truck and then complains that the tranny failed.

The increase may not hurt the hydraulic system but now that you can pick up more , "Where is the missing link?"

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
LMAO!!! Too funny!! Now I do wish I had something I didn't really care about to experiment on. ;)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If I had a L2501 and wanted to hotrod it the first thing I'd do would be get those RPM's up over 3000! You'll get a lot more satisfaction from the 5 or 6 more HP than you will from a few more PSI's

Last edited by a moderator:

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
As a new tractor guy, I can’t speak to the accuracy of my assumptions. But, here goes.

I speculate that Kubota sets up machines to safely operate as they’re sold. Meaning no implement for ballast on the rear. Or loaded tires. My B2650 is as stock as it gets, with the exception of Rimguard in the rear tires. That added a few hundred pounds.

My stock loader hydraulics have no problem lifting the rears off the ground if I try to pick up too much weight. Even with a 500# tool hanging off the 3-point, it gets pretty light if I try hard enough...

What would I gain from increasing the hydraulic pressure??? Flip it over faster?

I’m not saying that you can’t, nor that you will do damage if you do. I’m just assuming that the manufacturer likely sets the pressure and lift capacity to compliment the machine as a unit, rather than for what the hydraulic system can physically handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One factor that a lot of people overlook when they turn up the pressure, is the mechanical wear on the pump and pump drive.
They don't factor it in as it normally doesn't happen instantly, it happens over time.
Well a pump and Fuel Camshaft (the drive for the pumps on these) are not cheap.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
LMAO!!! Too funny!! Now I do wish I had something I didn't really care about to experiment on. ;)
I see you are a You Tuber. Didn't bother opening any of your 'contributions' as I wasn't interested. Besides, I don't like them when the posters has funky music going on. Do you? Inquiring minds want to know.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Way back... several people jacked their "standard L" tractor's pressure up. I only went to 2500. I have not seen where anyone has been posting problems in doing so. I bought in 2005 and only have 700 (?) hours so if the extra pressure is going to cause wear and tear... I say, bring it on.

It's noticeable how much it helps and if I have to repair something earlier, pretty sure I will say it was worth it.

I am NOT saying your L2501 will be able to handle what my old L2800 has done. I'm sure there was lots more "cost cutting / savings" built into your new unit vs. my old unit.

For the record, I did not need to use shims to increase my pressure. My cap was not tight, so a quarter turn gave me the increase pressure. Didn't spill a drop of oil ;)

Joel K

Equipment
L2501
Nov 22, 2018
Bay City MI
On my L2501 I added shims a few times and experimented with higher pressures. Last I checked I'm just over 2500 psi. It makes a huge difference in power with the loader. I will say however you need to be careful as it will lift more than the tractor should now. When I use my forks I can lift 1200 pounds of blocks on a pallet. That's a lot of weight out in front and the back of the tractor will lift off the ground when on unlevel ground.
The ability to scoop dirt and clay and also dig with the bucket is much improved. Lifting a fully loaded bucket of any material is easy. I have a box blade and loaded tires for weight and is definitely needed.
I now have a backhoe however I haven't used it until I finish the mount. It's a prairie dog and I need to connect it to the Kubota subframe mount. I'm expecting the added weight when attached will help with the increased loader capacity
I've also increase my rpms. Although I can run it up to 3000 rpms I never need more than 2400-2500. It does help a little and I backed off the limit screw again so it doesnt rev beyond 2550. The tractor seems to like 2400 rpms.
So far "knock on wood" I haven't had a single problem. The tractor has about 150 hours on it so still a baby however I work it hard. I use it for moving sod and dirt/clay to install mostly above ground pools. The tractor is very impressive and everyone that talks to me about my tractor is also impressed on its capabilities.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My take on your take is simply buy a bigger unit, or... As you increase the pressures exerted on various hydraulic components you shorten their useful life so when stuff starts happening (and it will) and you are out of warranty, you get to foot the bills for the repairs.

Not how I roll, at all.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Bota,
How high did you go with the pressure? I have not even checked mine but seeing how yours was under spec I plan to do so. I would like more lift but do not want a bigger tractor. I operated several forklifts as a youth and know how to deal with load limitations. In other words I've had the rear wheels dance.

Joel K,
To increase RPM did you just cut the wire and adjust the screw? You can PM me your answer is you want as several people on OTT will vapor lock at the idea of anyone cutting the safety wire and running something out of spec. I know the units are de-tuned and would like to squeak out a bit more available power. Naysayers can pound sand, It's my tractor and I'll do what I want.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bota,
How high did you go with the pressure? I have not even checked mine but seeing how yours was under spec I plan to do so. I would like more lift but do not want a bigger tractor. I operated several forklifts as a youth and know how to deal with load limitations. In other words I've had the rear wheels dance.

Joel K,
To increase RPM did you just cut the wire and adjust the screw? You can PM me your answer is you want as several people on OTT will vapor lock at the idea of anyone cutting the safety wire and running something out of spec. I know the units are de-tuned and would like to squeak out a bit more available power. Naysayers can pound sand, It's my tractor and I'll do what I want.
You are 110% correct. It's yours and you can do what you want with it.... and you get to pay the repair bills as well with, I hope, no whining,.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I'll leave the whining to you.