Warm ups during storage/times of no use?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bill, I agree with you. I know and understand everything wears out. One does things to impede that wear, like change fluids and filters and try to store it in a dry place. Not jacking up the machine to get the weight off the tires, or wrapping intake and exhaust with plastic wrap to keep moisture out is not necessary for the items I own. Perhaps Geo. thinks we're flying airplanes and are putting our live or others at risk of injury if an engine failes.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Mine sit's on the edge of the driveway for the time being.
I'll start it and run it at idle for about five minutes and then run up to about 1200rpm and let her get good and warmed up. I run the hydraulics for a couple minutes too (circulate the fluid and warm it up).

I could just let it sit, but I miss hearing it run, and making the parts move....
Someday....we'll move to some property and have a shop to keep her in.

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What Geo suggests is basically what Kubota suggests for long term storage. There are tractors that might be intensely used in June July and August, and sit the rest of the year. And tractors that if needed for an emergency in the dead of winter really need to be startable so I would suppose it all depends on your climate how much trouble you would go to.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A few weeks is not storage, IMO. This is a subjective matter. But if I were to store a piece of equipment for more than two or three months I’d go thru the process. There’s no mfr’r recommendation that I know of on this subject other than in aircraft, where reciprocating engined aircraft are suggested that inactivity for longer than 30 days is harmful.

Of course, it might also be considered the climate in which the equipment is being stored. Coastal areas are certainly more harmful than desert areas due to humidity. There’s a reason the military stores airplanes in Arizona.