BX2380 or BX2680 ?

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Is 3HP worth $1400 ?? if i go on Kubota.com and build each one separately, but with the same options, the BX2680 is $1400 more. does 3hp make a noticeable difference ? Watching videos of the BX2380, it seems very capable. Seems like almost all other specs are identical except for engine size and hp. What do you guys think ?

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Is 3HP worth $1400 ?? if i go on Kubota.com and build each one separately, but with the same options, the BX2680 is $1400 more. does 3hp make a noticeable difference ? Watching videos of the BX2380, it seems very capable. Seems like almost all other specs are identical except for engine size and hp. What do you guys think ?
I have the 2380 and it doesn't lack for power. I run a 60" mower deck and a 50" snow blower. If you plan on running the wider blower maybe the extra hp would be better. Happy Thanksgiving!

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I have the 2680 with a 54" commercial blower. I find it perfect. If your $$$ driven then the 2380 will probably do you just fine. I just like having that little extra when I need it. When the time comes to change I'm sure the resale will help offset the initial cost.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Save your coins !! MY BX23S certainly doesn't lack any power, does MORE than what I thought it was capable of.
3 years ago I replaced a Tecumseh 12HP engine in a true garden tractor ( Sears ST12) with a Chinese clone of the 9HP Honda. TONS of power, even at a crack above idle.

Jay

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The rule of thumb is that the extra HP won't:
- let you lift any more. That's controlled by the hydraulics, and they're identical
- let you pull any more. That's limited by traction, the wheel are identical

Mostly the BX series is unable to use the HP it has, other than tasks that run from the PTO.

So, tasks that it might matter for are:
- mowing, if you have very heavy or long grass. Most people don't, and the 23HP can run the 60" mower just fine
- driving rear PTO implements - maybe a chipper or a tiller
- the big one - snow blowing

I wouldn't go the 26hp unless you're snow blowing, or unless the $1,500 isn't that big a deal for you and you'd just like the more power model. (Personally if I was buying a new BX I'd probably get the 26hp, but not because I have any need for it, just because I'd be OK with $1,500 for more power even if I rarely use it).

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Agree with PaulL in that the extra HP will only benefit a heavier PTO load. So, if that's the plan for your tractor, it may be worth the extra $. You might also consider a B, unless you require the smaller footprint of the BX.

Otherwise, it's difficult to advise without knowing your tasks.

dsims

Equipment
BX2380 60"Drive Over/SSQA Loader
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
I have the 2380 and haven't run into a horsepower problem yet. Even if I did, all I'd have to do is slow down slightly.

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Thanks for the replies. I figure i probably wouldnt need the extra hp either. Just, thinking, considering, mulling over the tractor capabilities. I actually dont have any need for anything more than a garden tractor ....i have less than a half acre***129300; .... flat n level ***128514;.... but a stone driveway that i plow snow on. I just "want" a Kubota diesel 4x4 tractor. I hav a Craftsman Garden tractor and the mowing deck rusted thru at a front attatchment point .... so, since i live in America and make good union electrician wages .... i just want one. You know ..... big boys toys ..... i "need" it.***128513;

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Thanks for the replies. I figure i probably wouldnt need the extra hp either. Just, thinking, considering, mulling over the tractor capabilities. I actually dont have any need for anything more than a garden tractor ....i have less than a half acre***129300; .... flat n level ***128514;.... but a stone driveway that i plow snow on. I just "want" a Kubota diesel 4x4 tractor. I hav a Craftsman Garden tractor and the mowing deck rusted thru at a front attatchment point .... so, since i live in America and make good union electrician wages .... i just want one. You know ..... big boys toys ..... i "need" it.***128513;
Good for you Mike, you won't sorry either way you decide to go! I would take that $1400 difference and put a loader on that 2380 it's a handy tool and saves wear and tear on the back.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
BX's are great machines (I had one for 12 years). I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. My old BX23TLBM (2006 model) put out 22 HP. Never ran out of power with a 60" mower deck. These machines typically run out of grip before power.

Let your fingers do the walking on getting your quotes, and I'd be willing to bet that the difference is price would narrow.

Nazareth, PA? if so, I'm right up the street from you in bushkill twp.

Last edited:

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada

If that is the case, you might be able to get along with a BX1800 and really save some $$$$$$

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have a bit over half an acre, plus some reserve land, and I mow a bit at the neighbours and a bit up the roadside. A bit over an acre I mow in total. I'm thinking about going up from a BX to a B. I had a discussion with the better half about moving to a larger property, and finally she suggested I can just have the tractor I want on the property we have - moving house is way more expensive than just buying the tractor.

It's good that you recognise you don't need it, you want it. And so you should buy the tractor that makes you happy - there's nothing worse than spending a chunk of money and secretly wishing you'd spent that last $1,500 that really would have made you happy.

I would agree with others though and focus on attachments a bit more than HP. A 23HP is plenty, the BX23s with backhoe is built on the 23HP platform, so Kubota themselves think that's plenty of power in the tractor.

Attachments are what make the tractor useful, get a loader (if you weren't already), mower, chipper, rear blade (or front blade for snow), weight box, some chain hooks and chains, get the SSQA on the loader and some forks.

Reactions: 1 user

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
thank you for all of the replies …. yes … im in Nazareth, pa … just about right down the street. right now im in the contemplating things … thinkin, mulling over numbers n thoughts ..?..?…?...

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
thank you for all of the replies …. yes … im in Nazareth, pa … just about right down the street. right now im in the contemplating things … thinkin, mulling over numbers n thoughts ..?..?…?...
Ok, well, if I can help you with anything, just let me know. There are several Kubota dealers in this area (not immediate area, but they would all deliver to you for sure). Best thing to do is to think about your needs/wants and put together a bid specification that can be emailed to all the dealers. I've found that they will likely get back within a day or two.

That snow coming sunday-monday may help you decide.;)

PM me if you need anything.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I have a BX2660 which I have killed dead using the pto. I have a Gandy slit seeder that did it. I purchased the extra power figuring to put a snowblower on one day. I have not found anything that had too much power for snowblowing. I am working on a snowblower machine now and it will be the BX2680 with cab and heater. If I add the air conditioner I will need the extra power for mowing and such. It just sucks to find the lack of power for certain things after the fact. On a side note I put the Gandy on a Deere 2032r which handles it much better. Oh yea I love the BX2660 and have no intention of getting rid of it. It has the loader.

Last edited:

islandcustom

Equipment
BX2680
Jun 7, 2015
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Hi miketrock,
I was just replaced my 2015 BX2360 with a 2019 model. At the last minuet I asked for the best deal on a BX2680.The $1400 went to $700. I like the exhaust sound of my new BX2680.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Get the 26. You never know how many friends you have until you get a tractor. They will have all kinds of needs that will require max HP - lol.

But seriously, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
When evaluating tractor HP, I typically like to look at PTO HP to better understand how implements might be impacted. Between the two models in question there is a whopping 1.8 HP.

2380: 17.7 PTO HP
2680: 19.5 PTO HP

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
When evaluating tractor HP, I typically like to look at PTO HP to better understand how implements might be impacted. Between the two models in question there is a whopping 1.8 HP.

2380: 17.7 PTO HP
2680: 19.5 PTO HP
No matter how you slice it it amounts to 10 percent increase in power. Pretty significant in most applications.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
As always, there's no real use for it, but more power is more power. At circa $1K for many people it's not that much money to know that you definitely have more power than the machine can use. For other people, that's just wasteful. I think the reality is that in most applications, for most of the time, the 23 and even 18 hp models are enough.

If I were buying a new BX I'd buy the 26hp though. My tractor is a hobby, not a necessity. More power makes me more happy, and so it's cheap at the price.