in the Universe ? I kinda think that some where in the vast expanse
of the cosmos it's possible.
Your thoughts ?

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Always fun a post like this.....no aliens visit, nutters believe they do!

As to being alone ..who knows. In travel distance . No.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
As Ellie Arroway said in the movie Contact, "If it's just us, it's an awful waste of space."

Personally, I can't believe that there aren't other sentient life forms and civilizations out there. Scientists have found that the same material that led to the rise of life on this planet is common throughout the universe. Some common amino acids necessary for life on this planet have been detected in gas clouds and around forming planetary systems. Water is very common, and even alcohol has been found.

The problem of detecting other lifeforms or civilizations, if they do indeed exist, is due to the enormous distances involved and timing. There may have been a teeming technologically advanced civilization on a planet in a fairly close star system hundreds, thousands or even millions of years ago, but was wiped out by an asteroid impact or killed themselves off like I am afraid will will do in the not so far away future. And there could be pre-industrial societies that are centuries or millennia from developing radio or space travel, in a nearby star system.

If, indeed, there are civilizations that are transmitting radio signals in our galaxy, unless they are close, like several light years away, detecting their transmissions will be very difficult if not impossible. It would have to be a very strong signal directed at us to be able to detect it. The Voyager probes that were launched in the '70s are still transmitting data back to us, but the signals are so weak that is takes a 200' diameter radio telescope to recieve them, and the data rate has to be very slow, like 5 or 10 bits per second to be able to sort it out from the background noise. And they are only 16 and 19 light minutes away, not tens or hundreds of light years.

I have always hoped that we would receive signals from or otherwise detect another lifeform in our galaxy during my lifetime, but being almost 70 now, and understanding the difficulties involved, now I'm not so sure.

Even if there are aliens who have visited our planet, which I seriously doubt, there are probably signs out there that say "Stay away from this planet, most of the inhabitants are insane."

Zaicran

Equipment
B2650, 72" MMM, LA534+QA, RCR1260
Oct 8, 2019
Morganza, MD
Given the vastness of space...to me it seems a statistical improbability that we would be alone.

Kinda reminds me of the Drake equation...but that's another thread and another day.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
in the Universe ? I kinda think that some where in the vast expanse
of the cosmos it's possible.
Your thoughts ?
My Wife of nearly 53 yrs is a mix of Irish/German/Choctaw/Cherokee. The Choctaws have a legend They came here from the Dog Star. That explains a lot as sometimes I have thought she was not from this planet:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If one only considers the number of galaxies (200 billion) and the number of solar systems (100 billion) with planets, and the estimated number of habitable planets, (40 billion) it would be incredibly naive & arrogant to assume that we are the only intelligent life in the universe. And in our case, I use the word intelligent loosely.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Probably not alone but I hope the 'others' are politically smarter than we are...:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Probably not alone but I hope the 'others' are politically smarter than we are...
They'd almost have to be...

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Comedian Gallagher talking about the Hubble telescope: ***8220;We put a two billion dollar telescope into outer space with an out of focus lense to search for intelligent life. We know it aint pointing down!

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Agree with many of the previous comments, about the vastness of Space, and if we are the only things in all of it, what a waste of Space...
Statistically speaking, it's simply impossible that we Earthlings, and the animals on our planet, are the only 'Life' in the Universe...

Not trying to dog-out the "Ancient Aliens" show, as sometimes they do have some interesting episodes, but if you simply think about the span of time that 'life' has been on this planet, it is significantly possible that some Alien explorer did visit our planet, some time in the millennia distant past, and we simply have no record of it. Think about the massive amount of Life that has been on this planet, be it plants or animals, it's simply mind-blowing.
Simply said, look at where we get all our fuel, what it's made of...

Another thing, that I think is a related segway to 'alien life', is that I don't see enough commentary on Nature related shows, is the massive similar biology of so many 'animals' on this planet. Other than insects, the vast 'animals' (and yes, I do include us homo-sapiens), is that fact that most everything has four limbs, two eyes, two ears, one nose, one mouth, etc. Just look at how amazing similar all aspects of Mammals are...
Even fish, with all these significant variants of them fresh/salt water, two eyes, skeletal structure, etc-etc.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, about how scientists find that all the things we have here on Earth, minerals, etc, are understood to be on other planets, and through the cosmos. It is, IMHO, that all that we are, and all that we have, has to be similar to other places in our vast sky.

Hundreds of years ago, people thought the world was flat, and we / Earth was the center of everything. Now, with all that has been learned about our Solar system, and overall Space / Cosmos, and continues to be learned further, when we look up at the sky, how could you be rational, and possibly think that 'we are it'....?!

Zaicran, great thread, thank you for starting it!

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Another thing, that I think is a related segway to 'alien life', is that I don't see enough commentary on Nature related shows, is the massive similar biology of so many 'animals' on this planet. Other than insects, the vast 'animals' (and yes, I do include us homo-sapiens), is that fact that most everything has four limbs, two eyes, two ears, one nose, one mouth, etc. Just look at how amazing similar all aspects of Mammals are...
Even fish, with all these significant variants of them fresh/salt water, two eyes, skeletal structure, etc-etc.
It's not really a coincidence that the bodies of most animals other than insects have similar body plans and share bilateral symmetry. We all have a common ancestor at some point in evolution.

If you can get your hands on Richard Dawkins' Ancestor's Tale, it is well worth the read. It explains the mechanism of evolution and dispels a lot of misconceptions about it.

skratch

Equipment
front and rear hydraulics
Sep 18, 2019
bernardo, nm
What if the Big Bang theory regarding the beginning of our existence actually
happened not in our little speck of the universe but as a result of another
event. Could it be our rock was just a fragment of that ? Perhaps carrying already the minerals for the seed of life, captured by the gravity of our sun and other planets into an orbit similar to the origin. Then the comets and asteroids
added to the soup.

Just a thought ,,, :confused: ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The thing I always wondered about the big bang theory,,,, what was Penny's last name :D.
I asked this same thing when I was maybe 8 or 9, Dad is there life in outer space?
You have to remember that when I was that age the atomic age was really starting, and the Russians had put the first man made object in to orbit. And SiFi movies, in black and white, were a big thing and a youngsters mind is a wide open thing.
He said, when you guys play in the creek, how many rocks do you turn over looking for crabs and lizards?
Lots of them, and do you find stuff under every one..well no.
He said how many stars do you see at night when we watch for shooting stars?
Lots of them, why?
He said like those rocks you guys turn over some of them have critters living under them, others don't, so someplace out there one of those star has a planet that has life on it. And maybe one day we will met them

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The thing I always wondered about the big bang theory,,,, what was Penny's last name :D.

I asked this same thing when I was maybe 8 or 9, Dad is there life in outer space?

You have to remember that when I was that age the atomic age was really starting, and the Russians had put the first man made object in to orbit. And SiFi movies, in black and white, were a big thing and a youngsters mind is a wide open thing.

He said, when you guys play in the creek, how many rocks do you turn over looking for crabs and lizards?

Lots of them, and do you find stuff under every one..well no.

He said how many stars do you see at night when we watch for shooting stars?

Lots of them, why?

He said like those rocks you guys turn over some of them have critters living under them, others don't, so someplace out there one of those star has a planet that has life on it. And maybe one day we will met them
That's always been my thought as well. There's intelligent (well mostly intelligent) life on this planet [emoji14] and trillions of stars and planets out there. We can't be the only one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk