Do most Kubota dealers just charge MSRP?

Inverness

Equipment
Nothing...yet!
Jun 29, 2019
NH, USA
First time tractor buyer here, so this is a learning experience. Seems like dealers around here (New England) are asking MSRP or more (after rebates). Tried to buy a tractor from my local dealer. His price was about 7-8% away from mine and he wouldn’t budge; only offered to remove the grill guard or tire ballast. I guess I need to adjust my expectations.

Tried calling around to other nearby dealers, prices were all similar. Even got lectured about buying from my local dealer when calling around.

Am I way off base here?

Thanks all. Feeling frustrated now. I like the Orange tractors, but maybe I should buy used. :(

Fox400

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534, BH77, RCR1260, RB1660
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
In Michigan...I just priced out a B2650 with FEL and backhoe online and when I went to the dealer he was about $4,000 below the online price on Kubota's website.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Inverness

Equipment
Nothing...yet!
Jun 29, 2019
NH, USA
In Michigan...I just priced out a B2650 with FEL and backhoe online and when I went to the dealer he was about $4,000 below the online price on Kubota's website.

Wow! That’s fantastic

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Which dealer are you dealing with? Also, I have noticed going by the one here in town and the up the river, that they appear to be selling them faster than they get them in. They don’t have as many on the lot. If that is a general problem with most dealers in the area, they are less likely to discount. Basically a supply and demand issue.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
It all boils down to how badly you want the tractor, I guess. Good luck finding a used one, too. Here (in New England) used ones are almost as dear as new ones, and that's not with zero per cent financing, either. My advice would be to price what you want on the Kubota website and then go to the dealer and not have high expectations about buying one for less. Dealers are in it to make a profit--they have to be. These are great tractors, and if you hold out for a few hundred dollars on a piece of equipment that could conceivably last you a very long time, you may be doing yourself a disservice.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
In central VA, OTD price is typically 10% below MSRP, then add in rebates and discounts (if getting implements, which is too good a deal to pass up).
Dealers that will not go below MSRP either do not want to sell to you (some only like to sell giant, $100K machines) or they assume they have you over a barrel. I suggest widening your search.
Some dealers that want to move iron, have no problem doing a 200 mile each way delivery and sell at a low margin. Volume rebates from the manufacturer make it worth while. Too many dealers look at what the profit is on a single sale and not a full years worth.
As far as servicing goes, any dealer that does not honor the warranty fully, treat all customers the same as short for this world.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Having a good friend in Maine and listening to him talk about prices on everything, not just tractors, it appears to me that in general NE prices are more. He's got a JD btw.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla

Dealers in my area were higher than Kubota website by a good margin

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Pricing does seem to be regional; some areas at MSRP, some not so much. Like someone else said, supply and demand.
In very upstate New York, used market is tough...lotsa $$. But, if you take a country drive, you see Kubotas in use at many, many places.
Heck, I have a BX2360, and my neighbor across the road has a BX24 TLB....one reason I didn’t get a TLB was because neighbor said keys are always in it....he used mine with box blade other day....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I only deal with one dealer and while I don't price shop, I'd say his pricing is good as he sells a bunch of Kubota's.

The net is a great place to comparison price shop but low balling any dealer might have service (if you require it) down the road.

The last 3 I bought new were from the same dealer I deal with now and I never comparison shopped at all.

I felt I was getting a fair deal and he was making money as well. If a dealer don't sell at a profit, at some point they cease doing business.

Economics.

raptorfan85

Equipment
L2501, woodland mills wc46 chipper, 60" bolens finish mower, old cordwood saw
May 4, 2019
Richmond NH
I got my L2501 with front end loader, QA 66 inch bucket, and loaded AG tires for just over $18000 from pinnacleview equipment in Walpole NH. Great service too. I would check them out if you are close by...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Flip -

I can’t argue but sometimes “local” varies by locale.
It’s very rural here, but it is farm country.
We have a local, small dealer that sells Kubota tractors, but I question his ability to service. His mainstay I think are JD lawn and garden, Ariens snowblowers, and parts. I get all my fluids, filters, etc from him. I support him whenever possible, and did get a couple quotes from him for tractors over almost 30 years.
To get to a larger dealer, it’s an hour drive in almost all directions.
I bought mine from one while a friend was selling for them. They have the capability to service tractors and Ag equipment, but thankfully I haven’t needed their help in 6 years, given the distance.
A friend owns a “local” Mahindra dealership. He sells a bunch. I’ve been tempted to get a quote for a little bigger machine, but also question service capacity. Been a customer of his other automotive service store in the days of his father over 30 years, but again, they’re more a Stihl, Ferris, and related focus.
I agree with local, but have found myself buying things online. Never thought I would have an Amazon Prime membership, but it amounts to driving half a day on my Saturday to get stuff.

It really is a tough thing....day-in-day-out I stop by the local Kubota guys for supplies, but little else...His prices are as good as anything online, and I drive right by the place everyday......

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Where we live there is only one Kubota dealer, about 50 miles away, and the next nearest one is over 200 miles and in another state so our options are limited. Luckily it is a good family owned and operated dealership. I decided what I wanted and came up with a price that I could live with and when they had their normal spring open house factory rep day I went in to see what I could get. I got an open house discount and a factory discount by buying that day, saved about 15% from what I had figured. Luckily they had what I wanted in stock, still in the box in fact. I would say wait for your local dealer to have an open house or factory rep day and see what discounts you can get.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sounds like the same tactics HD used for a long time,, there it is ,,,if you don't want to pay it someone else will,, and HD is on their arse because of it. Also and I dont know how true it is but I was told that in some areas all those stores are owned by the same people. Your money is green any place not sure where you are in NH. But you might give a call to Missick's just for shyts and giggles, the drive might be well worth it, or any dealer out of your area,, AND the local dealer has to honor the warranty even if you did not buy it from them

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure HD is on it's 'arse' because of that or if they just priced themselves out of the market or maybe a bit of both... Willie G diluted his company image by using and selling 'made in China' parts. People have an issue with that, especially when Harley's big thing is 'Made in America'. Should be 'Assembled in America with Parts Sourced Worldwide'.

Far as buying a Kubby from one dealer who is less expensive and then expecting another dealer to honor warranty issue (if there are any) or repairing the unit, sure they have to honor a warranty issue but that don't mean is has to be an expeditious repair.

You know as well as I do that the customers that bought there will receive preferential treatment in most cases. Not all but most. Human nature.

The other issue with warranty repairs is it's all flat rate so the dealer makes X dollars and no more.

Why I don't window shop, never have. I buy from the same dealer all the time and price is not germane for me. Not saying I'm well to do, what I'm saying is I trust my dealer to give me a fair and equitable price on everything from tractors to parts... and he does.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip -

I can’t argue but sometimes “local” varies by locale.
It’s very rural here, but it is farm country.
We have a local, small dealer that sells Kubota tractors, but I question his ability to service. His mainstay I think are JD lawn and garden, Ariens snowblowers, and parts. I get all my fluids, filters, etc from him. I support him whenever possible, and did get a couple quotes from him for tractors over almost 30 years.
To get to a larger dealer, it’s an hour drive in almost all directions.
I bought mine from one while a friend was selling for them. They have the capability to service tractors and Ag equipment, but thankfully I haven’t needed their help in 6 years, given the distance.
A friend owns a “local” Mahindra dealership. He sells a bunch. I’ve been tempted to get a quote for a little bigger machine, but also question service capacity. Been a customer of his other automotive service store in the days of his father over 30 years, but again, they’re more a Stihl, Ferris, and related focus.
I agree with local, but have found myself buying things online. Never thought I would have an Amazon Prime membership, but it amounts to driving half a day on my Saturday to get stuff.

It really is a tough thing....day-in-day-out I stop by the local Kubota guys for supplies, but little else...His prices are as good as anything online, and I drive right by the place everyday......

The dealer I deal with is 45 minutes one way from here. We live and farm in the middle of East Bum Fug as well. It's 30 minutes to the grocery store.

I buy online too, just not Kubota stuff. My dealer's prices are also as good as Coleman's or Messicks and I don't have to pay shipping either. I call in what I need and they either have it in stock or it comes in, in a week. Have to say (knock on wood) that I've never needed anything immediately.

having said that, not many companies carry Kubota items online or otherwise unless it's a dealer like Coleman or Messicks.

I deal with Shoup and Mid States on parts for my hay equipment. Both are quite a bit less than New Holland, in fact quite a bit less but Kubota replacement stuff isn't widely available like JD or NH or even Massey.

Wish that wasn't true but it is.

My New Holland dealer also sells Kioti and Cub Cadet. I don't believe there are any single line dealers left. My Kubota dealer sells Cub Cadet and Stihl Power products.

Dang Kioti's loook just like Kubota's.:eek:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
When I bought my tractor, the dealer suggested I go online to get the best deal I could find and bring it to him and he would beat it.
Long story short...I did...and he did.
Dealers do not have to follow the MSRP. So look around and find what you want at a price you are willing to pay and tell the dealer to beat it.
If he won't, just find one who will. And remind him that there are dealers that sell that green tractor that would love your business.
If a dealer can't satisfy a customer then he should find another line of work
You are the one who pays his salary, puts his kids thru school and puts food on his table. If he doesn't want your money, find a dealer that does.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
When I bought my tractor, the dealer suggested I go online to get the best deal I could find and bring it to him and he would beat it.
Long story short...I did...and he did.
Dealers do not have to follow the MSRP. So look around and find what you want at a price you are willing to pay and tell the dealer to beat it.
If he won't, just find one who will. And remind him that there are dealers that sell that green tractor that would love your business.
If a dealer can't satisfy a customer then he should find another line of work
You are the one who pays his salary, puts his kids thru school and puts food on his table. If he doesn't want your money, find a dealer that does.
Well said, MB.

SDT

Shelby04861

Jul 13, 2019
Thomaston, Maine
I am up in Maine. While I could not afford a new tractor, I was able to buy a used one off of craigslist that was less the 1/3 of the cost of new. I took that huge savings and went straight to the local dealer here after realizing they had pretty much no markup on their parts prices when compared to online pricing with shipping. I was able to spend a couple thousand there without batting an eye. It has been one of the best experiences for me and has been very rewarding learning. I feel good that I was able to save money, but was also able to buy local. I have my other post where you can see my repair process.

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
From what I have seen they will usually offer the best incentives in December.