Equipment for garage

LiquidFire

Equipment
T1880
Jan 25, 2020
Miami,FL
Hello everyone, I was usually reading some threads from time to time but for now, I have a necessity to ask for a piece of advice. I am a supply manager in a small company (25 units, some of them kubota mx). I have to renew or garage equipment and looking for
Cordless drill (5x)
Driver
Circular saw (I like that ridgid is 7 1/4" vs 5 or 6" like other brands, so probably will take this one)
Sawzall
I am not talking about some staff like impact gun and angle grinder (I already know what to order)
So, I'd appreciate your thoughts. I read some reviews but not sure comments from Amazon are reliable

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Welcome to Orange Tractor Talks!

Are you looking for drill-driver, circular saw and Sawzall all to be cordless?

If so, I have had great luck this far with a Milwaukee 18v "Fuel" brushless set. I have the drill-driver with hammer, 1/4" impact (my favorite), reciprocating saw, and 6" circular saw. I do have the angle grinder too, but prefer my Harbor Freight corded ones. Don't think I've ever used it.

I'm a weekend and hobby guy and they're pricey for my needs, but they are well-built for commercial use.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm STILL running my 4 year old Ryobi drll/drivers 18+ units, $99 for the sets(2 units/2 bateries/charger even though I've bought 2 more 'sets' since then.
I know not 'commercial' duty but I ain't been easy on them !!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Are you intending to run cordless tools outside in sub-zero weather?

I have been very disappointed with my DeWalt lithium battery performance in the cold. Works great in the spring/fall/summer but has no life when the temps drop below freezing. I understand that this is common for this type of battery.

In the cold, I'm reverting back to my old Ni-Mh drill.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ryobi drll/drivers 18+ units, $99 for the sets(2 units/2 bateries/charger even though I've bought 2 more 'sets' since then.
I think those were highly-rated when I got my Milwaukee set.

Trigger for me was I bought the Milwaukee's from my local welding supplier. More $, but he always treated me well.....

My Milwaukee is about same - 4 years or so. Batteries are amazing. Sawzall is as good as corded version. Hammer option of the drill/driver is a great feature.

LiquidFire

Equipment
T1880
Jan 25, 2020
Miami,FL
Are you intending to run cordless tools outside in sub-zero weather?

I have been very disappointed with my DeWalt lithium battery performance in the cold. Works great in the spring/fall/summer but has no life when the temps drop below freezing. I understand that this is common for this type of battery.

In the cold, I'm reverting back to my old Ni-Mh drill.
Well, great that you mentioned that actually...I'll discuss this moment. What DeWalt you have? I saw one model from them on the top of the list on one review website (can't post the link), no Ryobi at all, btw

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re:... I understand that this is common for this type of battery.

yes, litium only likes 'human' temperatures. Prius batteries last maybe 6-8 years up here and it's not THAT cold.....

Carpenter next door can't get any decent time in the winter with battries...don't matter mfr or voltage...all do poorly, IF they work, when 'cold'.
Nature of the beast....

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
At work cordless tools are my life.

Had 18v Milwaukee Fuel stuff impact, drill driver and sawzall. All replaced/rebuilt in less then 3 years. Impact was the worst fixed twice, replaced once. Stuff was junk I'd never buy Milwaukee again

Switched to Dewalt brushless been almost 3 years now. Ive only had to have the impact rebuilt once after 2 years so far.
And I have lot Dewalt stuff impact drill, 3/8" drill driver/hammer drill, saw-all, 3/8" angle drill, 1/2" angle drill, oscillate tool, grinder, bigger hammer drill, and LED portable light all cordless

The first 3 are my most used tools especially the Impact. I run lots of sheetmetal screws hundreds a day.

As others have stated you need to keep the batteries warm they will work better and charge

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I got Hitachi (now Metabo) cordless brushless impact, hammer drill, and circular saw. All work really well. I like it because all of the 16V tools will work with their 32V battery so you can soley buy the bigger battery and have everything work interchangeably. Also they sell a 120 VAC wall plug that you can insert into the battery slot and not have to worry about it being -10° with 50 MPH winds sucking the life from your battery because you can be plugged into the grid which I think is pretty slick.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Caution Opinions will be stated!

I use all Milwaukee Cordless tools, I don't have issues with my tools working in the cold at all, been using them all winter?

Now directed at the OP, I moved from the heat of phoenix, AZ and had nothing but problems with all my cordless tools, Dewalt was by far the worst JUNK, went through batteries like they should have been free, I had 10 sets of dewalts and 2 batteries that still worked.
My milwaukee's worked the hole time, got 10 plus years out of them before they just plain wore out.
Yea batteries have gotten better but bad tools in the heat don't last long.

My current set of my milwaukee tools is going on 4 years, and no issues at all, and FYI I'm a General Contractor, Custom home builder, Cabinet maker and part time for the fun of it mechanic.
So all of my tools get a ton of use! ;)

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I personally favor Ridgid. Maybe that's because I believe that I have every cordless tool that they make. ;)

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Howdy

I have used everything from Makita and DeWalt so my answer is biased towards them. I have just about every tool DeWalt makes in cordless. Even the chainsaw. The 60V batteries work on all the 20V tools and extend the battery life while working with them. They have plenty of torque and staying power. We tore our two load bearing walls in my house using the DeWalt reciprocating saw and only had to change the battery once in three days of use.

The Makita tools were the old style NiCad batteries and I just got rid of the last one, a drill last week when my last battery died. The reason I went DeWalt was I got a great deal on them at Lowes and kept growing my collection. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands. Just pick one and stay with it so batteries and chargers will be interchangeable.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
this..... Just pick one and stay with it so batteries and chargers will be interchangeable.

is probabaly the MOST important detail to remember !

I got the Ryobi 18+ from HD as every year, early december, HD puts the 'kit' on for $100. That's CHEAPER than 2 batteries up here... kind of a nobrainer.

There is one brand ,supposed to give free batteries forever,but I'll bet some 'fine print' will apply....

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Full time mechanic here.
I beat the snot out of my dewalt impact, drill and 4-1/2” grinder. Also have a 1/4 inpact driver a circular saw and just recently a grease gun.
All my 20 volt batteries are 4 plus years old. They dont like the extreme cold, and extreme heat causes poor performance also.
Regardless, im really happy with all of them.
Drilling 5/8” holes in steel plate or boring steel with a 3” hole saw isnt the best thing to do with a cordless drill, but i so it anyway.
Drill has spewed smoke on more than one occasion, dropped on concrete more times than i remember.
Chuck is worn, and wobbles but its expected.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've found the smoke in 2 DeWalt's now and the batteries are stupid expensive so I went with Hardon Fright Bauer. No issues yet and cheap enough that when I do find the smoke (a certainty), buying another is still less than buying ONE DeWalt.

First DeWalt just made a stink and quit. Second one spit fire and quit. What I really don't like besides the asking price is the stupid price of batteries.