Draw Bar Trailer Hitch

PhotoDj

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 13, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I did the same as above. I put an adjustable ball mount in the hitch receiver and can adjust the height if needed. This setup is doesn't interfere with the 3ph. The holes on the bumper hitch almost line up. I had to drill out a little extra on 2 of the holes. I'm happy with this setup!

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Tractors come without drawbars? That's odd to me, it's sort of in the definition of 'tractor'... :rolleyes: :p

Note my L3200's drawbar just below the PTO drive and lower than the axle housing for maximum pull with minimum effect to tractor stability. I probably wouldn't pull much with my 3 point assembly, they can't handle all that much bouncy weight.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I had this welded up as I dont trust my welding quite enough for highway use!

I can use my 2” receiver accessories, it’s comes off quickly and does not interfere with any 3pt hitch implements I use.

I pull a 6x12 dump trailer with a full cord of firewood 5-8 miles fairly often. Using the 3pt hitch style didn’t seem secure enough for the road trip to me although I do have one and use it around the yard to move the trailer and it is nice to not have to get on and off the tractor to unhook.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
A follow-on question for the brain trust...

On my B7510's I leave a box blade installed almost 100% of the time. Here at home I am finding that I would like to be able to use the tractor, with box blade mounted, to shift trailers around and that darned wood splitter with its very short tongue.

Has anybody mounted a receiver-style hitch on a box blade? If so, would you care to share a picture of how you've done it, and any recommendations of how you might do it differently?

(Don't worry about balance - the box blade is in place to counteract the weight of either the front-mount blower or front end loader and I would use it only to move an empty utility trailer or the woodsplitter which has very little tongue weight.)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

On my B7510's I leave a box blade installed almost 100% of the time. Here at home I am finding that I would like to be able to use the tractor, with box blade mounted, to shift trailers around and that darned wood splitter with its very short tongue.

Has anybody mounted a receiver-style hitch on a box blade? If so, would you care to share a picture of how you've done it, and any recommendations of how you might do it differently?

(Don't worry about balance - the box blade is in place to counteract the weight of either the front-mount blower or front end loader and I would use it only to move an empty utility trailer or the woodsplitter which has very little tongue weight.)
I welded a 2 inch receiver tube on top of my box blade and hung it over the back edge about 1 inch. I had to add some bracing towards the front of the BB to hold the front end of the tube. With this design you can use a drop hitch to get under a low tongue. I also have a hydraulic top link which allows me to tip the BB when it is raised and watch the ball into the hitch. I have seen several BB with a hitch welded into the back face which will work but they require you to line up the hitch without being able to see it.

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho

Here is one idea that was posted earlier. Seems like a nice solution to me.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15618&highlight=gannon+hitch

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
Tractors come without drawbars? That's odd to me, it's sort of in the definition of 'tractor'... :rolleyes: :p

Note my L3200's drawbar just below the PTO drive and lower than the axle housing for maximum pull with minimum effect to tractor stability. I probably wouldn't pull much with my 3 point assembly, they can't handle all that much bouncy weight.
I agree, I grew up with larger farm tractors and we would never think of pulling with a "cross over draw bar". I was always told to never hook anything to the tractor higher then the draw bar for safety reasons. Having said that, I now have the cross over draw bar with the attachment from TSC to keep it level. I don't have to get off and on to hook up the trailer, just lower 3pt back up under and lift. I do get off and lock ball, I am also very careful to keep 3pt low.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I agree, I grew up with larger farm tractors and we would never think of pulling with a "cross over draw bar". I was always told to never hook anything to the tractor higher then the draw bar for safety reasons. Having said that, I now have the cross over draw bar with the attachment from TSC to keep it level. I don't have to get off and on to hook up the trailer, just lower 3pt back up under and lift. I do get off and lock ball, I am also very careful to keep 3pt low.

The only downside I can see with your logic is the trailer’s ability to bounce or otherwise go into a negative tongue weight situation. The real draw bar will hold its position, where the 3-pt can easily lift up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: ... where the 3-pt can easily lift up.

When I set my D-14 3pt it don't go anywhere, rock solid ,so I have to assume Kubota hydraulics are designed differently though why ?

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
re: ... where the 3-pt can easily lift up.

When I set my D-14 3pt it don't go anywhere, rock solid ,so I have to assume Kubota hydraulics are designed differently though why ?

It’s common, at least in smaller applications, that the 3-pt controls only limit how far down it can droop. There is no down pressure to hold it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biffog

Equipment
L345DT & B5000
Sep 30, 2019
Clane, KE, Ireland
Do you guys never use a pick up hitch? stability of drawbar, convenience of 3 point. Pin type hitch can be replaced by a normal clevis type drawbar

pickup hitch.jpg

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I welded a 2 inch receiver tube on top of my box blade and hung it over the back edge about 1 inch. I had to add some bracing towards the front of the BB to hold the front end of the tube. With this design you can use a drop hitch to get under a low tongue. I also have a hydraulic top link which allows me to tip the BB when it is raised and watch the ball into the hitch. I have seen several BB with a hitch welded into the back face which will work but they require you to line up the hitch without being able to see it.
Hmmm... your comment shows me that I hadn't thought this one all the way through. Thanks for the tip with regard to trying to hook up the trailer blind. I'll pay particular attention to my method of mounting the receiver tube.

Now I just have to find one... without breaking the bank.