Bx25 pto rpm vs engine rpm

John Bell

Equipment
Bx25
Nov 17, 2017
Portugal Cove NFLD Canada
Hi All

I’m trying to figure out what rpm to set the engine at while I’m blowing snow - is the pto rpm “governed” so that once the engine reaches a certain speed the pto will be at 540 and it stays at that speed if you run the engine faster?

Attachments

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
no not governed.
on your engine tach (engine rpm gauge) you will see a marking range which at that engine rpm your pto turning speed will be 540 rpm which is where your blower was designed to run.

I often run less as snow is fluffy / lighter this time of year. Given your snow dump last weekend I would run engine rpm at the marking which shows where your pto is running at the 540 pto speed your blower designed to run at.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
from my experience and given your snow depth after the storm being greater than what your blower can handle in single pass try running your blower maybe 8" or more off the ground for first pass.

Second pass drop to the ground to clean up what remains.

Run in low range and engine rpm at the engine tach mark which gives you the 540 rpm at the pto. Maybe around 2,700 engine rpm but your tach will show you as I am guessing but should be close

slow and steady and at times stop your tractor movement to let the auger / fan of the blower catch up and empty the hopper area as you have a lot of snow to work on with that little blower. low gear at 2,700 rpm will definitely move your tractor faster than that blower can handle the amount of snow you guys got on the island.

Last edited:

John Bell

Equipment
Bx25
Nov 17, 2017
Portugal Cove NFLD Canada
This is a 2015 BX25 and it has no red line mark on the engine tack to tell me where to set the speed - be handy if it had!

Ya i was doing the three point hitch to the top back in until the rear wheels bog down in the lower snow -about 4 feet - then go forward drop the three point hitch and do the bottom - do again - got a bit tiring with a 300 foot lane and 3 parking spaces!

Transmission was running a bit hot but the engine had no trouble.

JB

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I pulled the BX25 manual off the shelf and it says engine rpm at 3142 gives pto rpm of 540.
(page 9 under specifications)
good luck... I love snowblowing!!

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
From engine to PTO its all geared, pto speed is directly proportional to engine speed. As stated above, 3200 engine rpm = 540 pto rpm. That is close to WOT, depending on how the governor is adjusted, many BXs will spin past 3200 at WOT, but there is no advantage to that, 3200 is peak power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk