Just purchased a B2301 what size grapple is appropriate for it

sasko31

Equipment
B2301, agri ease blade
Jan 20, 2020
St Denis Saskatchewan
A grapple for my new b2301, what size and what is the most cost effective way of controlling it. A third function kit, diverter or a rear remote kit? The tractor does not currently have rear remotes.
I live in Saskatchewan, is there a reputable supplier of implements close by?
Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Almost forgot what would the recommended size be for a rough cut mower for this tractor, I currently have an older five footer.

ttpp

Oct 17, 2017
CA
I have a B3030 & run mine of my 3rd function which leaves my 2 rear remotes free & no long lines from back to front to get snagged on
As for size mine is 66 inch & I built it so you have same chassis just less horse power so stay 60 " ish & it should do you well & not beat loader up
As for 3rd function kits good luck up here in the great white north my solution years ago was to learn about hydraulics & what parts do what combine that with not many places more then 2 hrs away from a Princess Auto & they ship if your further then that
A 12 volt dc 6 way diverter is normally in stock & everything thing else you'll need to do it except a bracket which you have to make
Got to be mechanically inclined

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I think I would go smaller than 60", my 2910 came with a 54" bucket. With a grapple, not everything you pick up has to be "in" the bucket. Having a wider bucket might be nice, but you also have the weight penalty, so smaller could allow you to carry more.

Think about what you want to move, or would like to, there are many different designs. You want something strong, but not heavy, I've seen some nice looking ones on ebay, until you look at the weight and realize that is all the tractor will lift.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
A grapple for my new b2301, what size and what is the most cost effective way of controlling it. A third function kit, diverter or a rear remote kit? The tractor does not currently have rear remotes.
Almost forgot what would the recommended size be for a rough cut mower for this tractor, I currently have an older five footer.
My suggestion is to follow the equipment sizing recommendations in your owner's manual.

I would also recommend a third function valve to operate your grapple.

Depending upon what you plan to mow and how quickly you wish to travel when mowing, I would not recommend a rough cut mower larger than 4-4 1/2'. I would also expect that your 5' mower is too heavy in many conditions.

SDT

Last edited:

despling

Equipment
B2301-TLB, BH70, LA435 w/QA
Nov 29, 2019
Tucson
I have the B2301 with the Land Pride SGC06 (60”) grapple, and Kubota 3rd function valve with button controls on the loader stick. The Land Pride grapple is made with A400 steel, which is very strong yet light. It weighs only slightly more than the 54” bucket. I’ve used it about 30 of the last 50 hours removing cactus and brush from our property. It is incredibly versatile once you learn all the nuances. I can grab brush, cactus, and large rocks (about 18”) with no problem. If you open the grapple all the way, and tilt it all the way forward, you can “comb” or back drag brush and rake soil. If you only tilt it a little bit, you can treat it like a rock rake (not quite as effective as a dedicated rock rake, but it works). The grapple is my favorite all-around tool for clearing and moving brush-type material.

Reactions: 1 user

despling

Equipment
B2301-TLB, BH70, LA435 w/QA
Nov 29, 2019
Tucson
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cQe4eL9wEYKuyLVYA

The above link is to a video I took of one of my sons working the grapple for the very first time. As you can see, the 60***8221; grapple doesn***8217;t look oversized at all. My dealer confirmed it was either the 54***8221; or 60***8221; as ideal sizes.

Last edited:

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I have a B2650 and I just purchased a EA Wicked 55, which is 55". I had no issues clearing it through customs from the US, the exchange rate is a bit of a punch but I think from a quality perspective it will pay off long term.

From my research and discussions with others, the main points with a grapple you want to look at are weight and strength. Too heavy a grapple and you reduce your loader capacity and what you can do with that implement. The one I picked up weighs in at 240lbs so it is almost equal to my 60" bucket. The width of the grapple is less important as you are using it to grab items, it only needs to clamp on to a small part to pick them up. Strength is important, but this often adds weight unless high quality metal is used. Part of the reason I settled on the EA model was it uses AR450 steel and the weight is very low. Also look at what you will do with it - Mine is for dealing with branches and other land clearing work. So this might impact the style of grapple you get, root vs rock etc.

You can give EA a call/email and they will be glad to talk to you about all that stuff too. When I finally decided to go that way I wished I had spoken with Travis earlier on as he was able to clarify a few items quite quickly

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I have the B2301 with the Land Pride SGC06 (60”) grapple, and Kubota 3rd function valve with button controls on the loader stick. The Land Pride grapple is made with A400 steel, which is very strong yet light. It weighs only slightly more than the 54” bucket. I’ve used it about 30 of the last 50 hours removing cactus and brush from our property. It is incredibly versatile once you learn all the nuances. I can grab brush, cactus, and large rocks (about 18”) with no problem. If you open the grapple all the way, and tilt it all the way forward, you can “comb” or back drag brush and rake soil. If you only tilt it a little bit, you can treat it like a rock rake (not quite as effective as a dedicated rock rake, but it works). The grapple is my favorite all-around tool for clearing and moving brush-type material.
Can you back rake instead with the lower teeth? I ask because I just watched a Messick video on grapples where he warns about fully extending the pistons and loading them that way.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Sasko,
What is your intended main use for your grapple? That will help determine whether a long bottom or root rake (clamshell) style will be a better fit for your intended needs.
I have a BX and chose a 48" Wicked, weighs about the same as my bucket and am controlling it with a Surplus Center diverter valve setup.
2020-08-22(1) - Copy.jpg

I went root rake style as a long bottom would have limited how high I could dump brush on my pile.
Regards

Reactions: 1 user