Post Hole Auger with BX tractor ?

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I looked into post hole augers a bit when I bought my BX. They are relatively limited, with only a 36" auger available. If I recall correctly they only accept a 9" auger and it's recommended to go very slowly. I eventually decided that the limitations and the fact they beat up the tractor a good bit that they are not worth having. Maybe better to look into a Dingo rental with an auger.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
We used a Countyline 6" auger with our BX2370 and it worked very well. We planted 100's of tree saplings. We are in sand so that might make it an easier job than other soils, but we cut through tree roots with some frequency and it didn't slow it down.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes but as said, some 'limits' apply...
biggest factors are 1) frost line, 2) soil conditions 3) real use qty ?
1) most augers go 36"...frost line up here is 44" ! hmmmm
2) sand..NO problem....terminal moraine.. forget it !!!
3) it's one tool I decided I don't NEED, even though I've set 100s of posts in 3 decades. To make money, you need to drill FAST,deep and accurate.

consider , if it's a one shot deal..rent a proper unit...cheaper

if it's for commercial use...rent a proper unit ...cheaper
friend put in over 100 in one day, used his TLB to PUSH the posts in.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
yes but as said, some 'limits' apply...
biggest factors are 1) frost line, 2) soil conditions 3) real use qty ?
1) most augers go 36"...frost line up here is 44" ! hmmmm
2) sand..NO problem....terminal moraine.. forget it !!!
3) it's one tool I decided I don't NEED, even though I've set 100s of posts in 3 decades. To make money, you need to drill FAST,deep and accurate.

consider , if it's a one shot deal..rent a proper unit...cheaper

if it's for commercial use...rent a proper unit ...cheaper
friend put in over 100 in one day, used his TLB to PUSH the posts in.
I keep one 'hanging around' literally, in a tree, for when I need it. Bought it used years ago and have used it quite a few times.

The issue with a PHD and a smaller tractor is digging depth and how far the 3 point hitch will lift the digger. Stock diggers might do 40", not enough around here so I addded a 12" extension pipe to the auger. A small tractor isn't then capable of lifting the PHD auger high enough to dig a hole. Not an issue with my M's, plenty of lift.

Our soil is rocky a bit so I idle the tractor and if the PHD auger encounters a rock, it breaks the shear bolt.

Post pounders only work on clean, rock free soil. an d you have to point the end of the post anyway to drive it.

Yhink if I was the OP, I'd rent one and be done with it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We used a Landpride 6" auger with our BX2370 and it worked very well. We planted 100's of tree saplings. We are in sand so that might make it an easier job than other soils, but we cut through tree roots with some frequency and it didn't slow it down.

An old wise nurseryman once told me to never plant young trees in a round hole because the roots will ball up around the tap root and impede the tree's growth. Always plant in a square cornered hole.. What I do, I followhis advice. A little bit of potash in the bottom of the hole helps too.

smittydog27

Equipment
L3901DT, MX5200DT, Case 450, 1450 dozers, Case 530 const. king backhoe/loader
Dec 11, 2018
Huntington
I have 6” and 12” auger and a 3’ extension. Use it to set my 6x6 gate posts. Works just fine..clay and normal soil.

BX2670

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
check what homedepot rents for post hole diggers ! 9.5HP 2 man unit will do 18" holes !!
you don't need a lot of HP, torque is more important, and KNOWING what the soil conditions are is the MOST important thing !!!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
check what homedepot rents for post hole diggers ! 9.5HP 2 man unit will do 18" holes !!
you don't need a lot of HP, torque is more important, and KNOWING what the soil conditions are is the MOST important thing !!!
Torque is the PROBLEM with those things. TWo men dont have enough weight and grip to hang onto it when it hits hard digging.

If you hit a rock or other hard place with one of those...youll freakin BREAK YOUR WRISTS when that power-head suddenly spins in your hands, rips itself loose and the handles slap you in the hips! Those things are dangerous in anything but loose sand. You can be seriously hurt. BTDT. Its why I took it back to Home Despot and bought a CountyLine PHD.

Last edited: