Levelling ground for driveway.

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Hello all,

I have a 40 metre driveway to cut from my barn to the road gate with a couple of off shoots for the field and another gate.

The ground is clay with a couple inches topsoil.

I was hoping for advice on the best way to level it before i lay in the stones (looking at small stone driveway of what ever colour stone my lovely wife decides on.

I have a small B1400 so was wondering if it is worth getting a grading blade or box grader....which would be better? To do the job.

Any advice is appreciated and the picture below may give an idea of the ground that needs cutting....(i tried to post a couple that show it all but for some reason i can only post one).

image.jpeg

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Box blade with rippers to cut the turf and loosen up the clay. Then you can grade the area before the stone is delivered.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Another option, should be cheaper, a lot easier to find... a 'spike toothed' harrow. If you put a board and a few blocks on the back 1/3, it'll nicely tear up the ground about 4" ( 100mm) deep. Yes, more passes than a box blade, but heck..great excuse for more tractor seat time !
You might be able to borrow harrows for any older, local farmer. Or just buy for maybe $50 CDN.

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Thank you GreensvilleJay, i will think on that but second hand gear here is like rocking horse poop. The French barely sell on stuff unless it is damn near worn out and then for stupid prices so you are nearly always better off buying new.