New to the site and going to look at a tractor!!

Fox400

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534, BH77, RCR1260, RB1660
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
Hello all. New to the site and getting ready to purchase my first orange machine. I'm heading to the local dealer tomorrow to check out a B2650, with FEL, backhoe, and possible a rotary cutter and back blade. I'm also going to inquire about getting the larger tires that are offered on the B3350 for some added stability and traction and possibly getting them loaded.

Anything I should be aware of before I head to the dealer?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
What are you planning on using your tractor for?

Fox400

Equipment
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
What are you planning on using your tractor for?
Maintaining and chores on my 4.5 acres and 9 total acres when I purchase the property next door. Moving dirt and rocks, digging out old stumps, keeping about 3-4 acres of 18-24" brush cut a couple times a year, digging small drainage ditches to get rid of the surface water, cleaning out and keeping the larger ditch that surrounds the property clean(its full of brush and small trees and the moment), eventually clearing and maintaining a trail around and possibly through the property, and possibly moving snow if it gets too deep for my quad with the blade on it.

I may also take it over to our hunting lease to clean some things up over there as well.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sounds like you got your work cutout for you. The only thing I would consider is a cab on the tractor. I hadn't thought about that when I went, but thankfully my wife did.

One other note, if you are going to be adding a 3rd function or rear remote, usually you can get a better price when you are buying the tractor verses latter.

Fox400

Equipment
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
Yeah...I have a lot of work ahead of me and the tractor should help immensely. I thought about a cab, but have ruled that option out because of the terrain I'm going to be navigating and the cost. The trees and such in the areas I'm going to be working in would wreak havoc on a cab and I'm guessing it would not be cheap to replace the glass.lol

I haven't really considered a 3rd function or rear remote. Not sure what I would use those for.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The trees and such in the areas I'm going to be working in would wreak havoc on a cab and I'm guessing it would not be cheap to replace the glass.
The thing to remember is that whatever would hit your cab if you had one will hit your face instead when you have no cab. Cabs are expensive to fix, faces more so. The reality is that you need to avoid those things, in which case you could have a cab.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I didn't think I would want/need a 3rd function, but now that I have my tractor and used it some, I will be adding a 3rd function. I'm planning on buying a grapple for the front and you need the 3rd function for it. If you are doing a lot of landing clearing like myself, you can do it with a bucket or forks, but a grapple will make it so much easier on you. Just a thought.

As far as rear remotes, I don't have anything that uses rear remotes, although some day I wouldn't mind have a dump trailer, which then the rear remote would be used.

I know my dad is/was anti-cab. His reasoning, to big, you hit them with everything, you don't need them.

I was able to agree, you do hit them with stuff, but as I pointed out, the cab takes the hit not me. I pointed out a few times as we have been working together, he is ducking and trying to push limbs out of the way, I just slowly drive through and the cab pushes them out of the way.

I pointed out that when we are done working, he is all covered in dirt, debris, and sweat. I come out of my tractor with my cold drink and none the worst for wear. We have stopped a few times and i have had him come get into my cab and get cooled off.

He has since changed his mind and has stated more than once now, if he buys another tractor, it is going to have a cab. It makes these 90+ F days still workable and I'm sure this winter, it will make snow removal much nicer.

With that being said, cabs are optional and you can get done what you need to get done without it, just the older I get, the less optional they get for me.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Sounds like you have it covered but depending on what you want to use the back blade for may want to consider a box blade. the box blade will do a better job moving dirt and a nice counter balance(ballast) when using loader without your hoe on the back.

I have a landscape rake I use like a back blade. I roll my ditches out with it, rake debris, and level loose dirt with it. It does a good job leveling paths that are not packed.

I like the combination of the box blade and rake over just a back blade. Back blades are not heavy so moving much dirt when leveling an area it leaves much to be desired.

Just some thoughts.

Jay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a whole ton of features that you can add to the tractor this is my pic's.

SSQA (skid steer quick attach) on the loader.
Third function on the FEL.
2 Rear remotes.
Thumb for the BH, fixed is fine, hydraulic is way better.
Quick attach for the three point.
Top and Tilt.
SSQA Grapple
SSQA Snow blade
Forks

Fox400

Equipment
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm headed to the dealership after work today. I called and talked to them about what I want and he's going to get some prices worked up for me.

Bigger tires are a no-go, according to the dealer that will void the warranty. I'll be sure to check out the other things that you all mentioned.

Fox400

Equipment
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
Dealer gave me, what I think, is a great price on the tractor and after discussing it with my much better looking half, I'll be calling him back Monday to get everything going!

He gave me a really good price on a land pride 1260 rotary cutter. I don't know a thing about them. Is this a good rotary cutter or is there something better out there that I should consider?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Dealer gave me, what I think, is a great price on the tractor and after discussing it with my much better looking half, I'll be calling him back Monday to get everything going!

He gave me a really good price on a land pride 1260 rotary cutter. I don't know a thing about them. Is this a good rotary cutter or is there something better out there that I should consider?
Will it be used for brush clearing or mowing grass? The 12 series seems light duty for cutting brush. Maybe get a quote on the 18 series too.

Fox400

Equipment
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
Will it be used for brush clearing or mowing grass? The 12 series seems light duty for cutting brush. Maybe get a quote on the 18 series too.
It will be mostly for grass and smaller brush. I doubt I'd get into much over 2" in diameter.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Fox400

Equipment
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
Well, the new addition to the family was delivered last Friday and I spent no time putting it to work! I'm pretty impressed with the power of the backhoe. Dug out 2 big stones and 3 stumps....I still have close to 30 more stumps to dig out.

Attachments

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The quickest way to tear a BH up is to dig out stumps. A BH is made for digging dirt, not wood reinforced by dirt. Do your best to remove all of the dirt around the main roots (ie address from a star formation) before you start trying to break them.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
The quickest way to tear a BH up is to dig out stumps. A BH is made for digging dirt, not wood reinforced by dirt. Do your best to remove all of the dirt around the main roots (ie address from a star formation) before you start trying to break them.

Please don’t tell my bh77 that. It has dug lots of stumps out and never complained. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk