Easy question...fuel canisters?

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
So, what are you guys using for fuel canisters?

Obviously, getting a several hundred gallon tank is overkill.

All of the new gas cans are terrible with the new environmentally friendly b.s.

I have some round fuel jugs that I used to keep racing fuel in (for you fellow racers) but sometimes it leaks back around the cap, and I don't want the fuel leaking on my new orange paint.

Any suggestions?

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Ebay is your friend here - I buy the older GOTT fuel cans as I can afford them for my gasoline engines.

You are right, the new venting system leaves a lot to be desired.

I did go the multiple 275 gallon tote / electric pump route for my diesel as it was cheaper to buy in 500 gallon quantities for my tractor and reserve fuel supply for my 50kw backup diesel generator.

David

Last edited:

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I didn't like the idea of having to pour in 5 gals at a time either, and thought id like to have 10-15 gals that would be 2 refuels for me and after looking around at what's available in that range I went with the flo-n-go, Even after reading all the bad reviews, I thought if nothing else I'd have a decent tank with wheels and I could improve on the hose if I needed to. But I don't think it's that bad, it's worked really well for me but I've only used it a few months but it makes refueling easy, I just lift it in my bucket and use gravity flow to fill up.
I had a coupon for TSC so it was under $100 which was still too much.
I looked hard at a steel tank with hose at northern tool, it was $139 I believe but looked like it would work too just no wheels to help moving around.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I used a 55 gal drum for several years then went to a 55 gal transfer tank in the back of my truck. Got a 500 gal tank then another 105 gal transfer tanks in my other truck and then added a 275 gal tank on the other side of my farm. The transfer tanks are great when I'm working away from home and having a tank on either side of the farm really saves having to run back and forth for fuel.

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
I am just getting a little B3200 for use around the house, so I wont be burning through the fuel like you guys. I'm thinking a few 5gal jugs might be my option.

I thought I saw a 25(?) gal tank with wheels and a transfer hose in a magazine at some point

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you do go with 5 gal jugs just remember not to set them where they are in direct sun light. It really increases the chance of algea growth. Then when you pour it in the tractor the algea goes straight thru your fuel system and plugs everything up.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It'll work only problem is its gravity fed, so it'll have to be higher then the fillhole on your tractor.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
That is the one I ended up with, the reviews around the web are not great, but Ive had pretty good experience with mine so far.
It does have a pump built in to the handle but you wouldn't want to pump 5 gals with it, I doubt it would hold up through 5 gallons. but as gravity flow it works pretty well I can our out 6 gals in about 3 mins through it.
Tractor supply sells the same one for $99.99
The other one I think would work well is this one, it's a steel tank and gravity flow only.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200584598_200584598

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
Dumb question, but do you guys add any additives to your fuel?

I usually add Stahbil (spelling?) to my gas cans, and I think they make something for diesel, but I never really thought diesel went "bad"?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Like Bulldog said this morning just keep it out of the sunlight to prevent algea growth. Diesel is usually pretreated as the season change.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i'm using an old 15 gallon plastic water barrel.. i painted markings on it so someone won't use it for water again.. i use a 12v r.v. water pump and a clear house water filter unit. with a 5 micron filter in it. the pump and filter are attached to each other and mounted with a bucket under it, to catch any fluid when changing the filter… i use a old 20' electric cord with battery clamps and a automotive on/off switch near the end of my outlet hose.. i use the re-inforced clear plastic hose for both suction and discharge… (available at h.d. or other big box hardware stores)…
the 15 gallon container is all i can move when full. using the bucket or forks to unload, off the back of the truck after a fuel run…
eventually i'll have a 20 gallon aux tank on the little diesel ranger pickup, for transfer and fuel runs. the truck currently needs a transmission repair… so the use of the old water barrel.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Just a comment - I have yet to see diesel fuel harm Kubota paint. I have to admit, however, that sooner or later you are going to scratch your paint job trying to handle 5 gal gas cans... I've never thought about it, but the 14 gal flo-n-go looks nice to me.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would suggest you try to get a smaller can if you are just trying to fill it up and not really store the fuel. For whatever reason it is hard to find the 2.5 gallon cans in yellow for the diesel. The smaller can is easier to hold up and fill the tracto with. Holding 5 gallons of fuel and getting the can drained is tiresome even wth a can that flows fairly rapidly.

Anyway most new cans will not really be usable as they are purchased.

They can be modified to be more usable - see the you tube below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

Just be careful when the can is pressureized from fumes and don't get sprayed in the face by taking the vent cap off a full can. It is not fun!

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Screw It LOL

Soooo I went and bought some valve stems and was ready to do the vent trick..

I used a Wood screw to mark the spot and was ready to drill the tank when it struck me.
Why am I doing that ??? I just need a small 1/8" hole which is about the same size as the hole in the Valve.

I look at the #12 Screws I had sitting on the bench, they are 1/2" long and have nice pan heads with Philips& Slotted heads They are what most people use for license plates..

Hmmmmm Why Am I drilling out a 1/2" hole to get a 1/8" vent. the only real advantage is the Valve cap vs a Screw head

If the can falls over both will slowly leak I am sure of it

So I just used the Screw and left the valves in the shop.

I tried it pouring fuel, and it worked quick and easy, no gurgling just like in the old days

The one advantage I see is that the screw doesn't stick out at all so I don't have to worry about it hitting anything and knocking it out.

Yes I have to have a screwdriver handy but who doesn't :D

Anyway that is my REALLY cheap option that takes even less time to vent the Fuel Tanks