Third function valve issues on L35

2506shooter

Equipment
Kubota L35
Jan 24, 2020
Mount Airy, NC
Good afternoon and thanks for letting me join.

I'm having issues with what should have been a simple install of a third function valve and I'm hoping I'm overlooking something simple and y'all can help me out.

I'm using this valve from Summit Hydraulics:
https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/hydraulic-third-function-valve-kit-w-joystick-handle-for-tractor-loader-21-gpm/

And using this power beyond sleeve:
https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/power-beyond-adapter-sleeve-for-p80-z80-series-summit-monoblock-valves/

Some pictures of how I have it hooked up are attached.

My issue is that there is pressure going to both work lines on activation of one solenoid. The backhoe and FEL work fine.
I thought it may be an issue with pressure back feeding through the return line so I installed a check valve before the Tee. When I did that the grapple functioned if I bumped the switch, but it would lock up if held. I've tried taking the other valves out of sequence and only running pressure and return to the new valve and it still pressurized both work lines. I've actually had Summit send me a new valve as well. Same deal.

Please tell me I've missed or forgot something. I would really like to use my new grapple!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good afternoon and thanks for letting me join.

I'm having issues with what should have been a simple install of a third function valve and I'm hoping I'm overlooking something simple and y'all can help me out.

I'm using this valve from Summit Hydraulics:
https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/hydraulic-third-function-valve-kit-w-joystick-handle-for-tractor-loader-21-gpm/

And using this power beyond sleeve:
https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/power-beyond-adapter-sleeve-for-p80-z80-series-summit-monoblock-valves/

Some pictures of how I have it hooked up are attached.

My issue is that there is pressure going to both work lines on activation of one solenoid. The backhoe and FEL work fine.
I thought it may be an issue with pressure back feeding through the return line so I installed a check valve before the Tee. When I did that the grapple functioned if I bumped the switch, but it would lock up if held. I've tried taking the other valves out of sequence and only running pressure and return to the new valve and it still pressurized both work lines. I've actually had Summit send me a new valve as well. Same deal.

Please tell me I've missed or forgot something. I would really like to use my new grapple!
Sounds like you have either the PB adapter in the wrong port
or you are using the wrong ports for PB or for tank.

Tell me what line in on what port and where is the PB sleeve installed?

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
On my L35, I added a 3rd function valve. If I recall right, I redirected the PB line directly to the inlet side of (open port) valve and then connected the line from the valve outlet to the return. I later added some quick disconnects on both sides of the valve as the L35's pressure tended to blow the internal seals in the valve when using the BH. Good luck.

259gibbs

Mar 30, 2017
US
I went to Messick look for third function valve they do have an instruction how to hook up from manifold under floor board, very simple they don't even bother power beyond line at all. Best of my memory is
1 remove line from manifold to FEL line.
2 hook up the manifold to third function valve on pressure side.
3 from pressure port of the third functions valve go back to FEL.
4 Ports A and B is go to cylinder on the grapple. And you can swapping two line if you want to defending what you need. Good luck on your project.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
very simple they don't even bother power beyond line at all
Yes they do, in the way you explain the setup, the line that goes from the third function back to the FEL valve is the power beyond line! ;)

259gibbs

Mar 30, 2017
US
On my MX5800 i already had two line go back to the tractor for power beyond, Messick have two way hook up
1 hook up third funtion vale on manifold without power beyond for backhoe.
2 hook up third funtion valve on manifold with existing power beyond to the back for the backhoe. I pick this option.

259gibbs

Mar 30, 2017
US
I have not look at service manual if it a pressure side, then if you tap to it would call power beyond or anything if you would.