L1802DT Headlight?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
LED lights are great for many replacements, but I’ve found them unsuitable for incandescent headlight replacements. Their ability to illuminate objects is not as good as incandescent due to their spectrum. The only LED product I’ve found useful for headlights are the LED LightBars. This is because of the huge difference of emitted lumens (due to the larger number of emitters) can overcome the poor spectrum.
The result is usually an INCREASE rather than a decrease of current required. (The headlights on my M4700 were placed in a horrible location behind the loader bucket where their beams are blocked by the bucket. I installed a lightbar on top of my grill-guard which is very pleasing, but the OEM headlights only draw 8 Amps while the LightBar draws 13.). Sure makes the night brighter tho’.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Andy,
That's the whole fixture, remove the rubber out of the fixture to get to the Bulb. ;)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
LED lights are great for many replacements, but I***8217;ve found them unsuitable for incandescent headlight replacements. ...
I think you are confusing lumens and the light temperature.

Typically you see the "blue" looking LED that are 6000K in color (very shadowy). If you want that incandescent "softness" get a 3000-3500K LED. Also there are a ton of "styles" of LED's (lenses and diode configurations) making it very hard to compare. For me, replacing the 1156's in my B2650 gave literally hundreds of choices in LED.

There is no contest now between lumen per watt - incandescent/LED, that ship sailed about 10 years ago and is getting further away every day.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The bulb isn't the problem. The glass fell out, hence the need to replace the whole thing.
Oh ok, now that's a whole other issue, You're going to have to find a local seller that has one, or fab up a new set of lights (most of us has done that) even on our older non grey tractors as stock lights are pitiful or just too dang expensive!

Andy Morrow

Equipment
L1802DT
Jan 19, 2020
Top Camp
Think I might fab one up. Might cut the cone out with a grinder, then reuse the ring with the three lugs attached. Will need to find a headlight to fit snug.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I think you are confusing lumens and the light temperature.

Typically you see the "blue" looking LED that are 6000K in color (very shadowy). If you want that incandescent "softness" get a 3000-3500K LED. Also there are a ton of "styles" of LED's (lenses and diode configurations) making it very hard to compare. For me, replacing the 1156's in my B2650 gave literally hundreds of choices in LED.

There is no contest now between lumen per watt - incandescent/LED, that ship sailed about 10 years ago and is getting further away every day.
Nope. No confusion. I meant what I said.
But you are correct about temperature variations in that can also be a factor on reflected light. (It’s the light which is reflected from the object that allows us to see it better.). LEDs just don’t reflect as much of their spectrum (regardless of temperature) as incandescent because the incandescent has a broader spectrum. So it takes a LOT more emitted light to overcome the lack of reflectivity, and that’s where the lightbar (with it’s more numberous emitters) can make up the difference.
That’s been my experience at least.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I installed a lightbar on top of my grill-guard which is very pleasing, but the OEM headlights only draw 8 Amps while the LightBar draws 13.). Sure makes the night brighter tho***8217;.
Curious... Was the 13 amps a measured value or calculated based on the advertised rating of the LED lightbar?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Curious... Was the 13 amps a measured value or calculated based on the advertised rating of the LED lightbar?
It is a measured value. (I have installed an ammeter on the panel of this tractor as a back-up to the idiot-light.)