DPF Question

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
Folks, New poster, first time post. Jumping right in the deep end of the DPF world. I purchased a 2016 L3901D at auction only to find out that it is in "Stage 5" Regen and needs a complete reconstruction of the DPF system. Oh well. My question is how hard is it to eliminate the DPF system altogether knowing the smaller 2601 had none. Can the 2601 exhaust system be "engineered" so as to function on the larger 3901 DFP laden system . otherwise whats the cheapest way to purchase the new DPF system...duh
thanks guys.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Folks, New poster, first time post. Jumping right in the deep end of the DPF world. I purchased a 2016 L3901D at auction only to find out that it is in "Stage 5" Regen and needs a complete reconstruction of the DPF system. Oh well. My question is how hard is it to eliminate the DPF system altogether knowing the smaller 2601 had none. Can the 2601 exhaust system be "engineered" so as to function on the larger 3901 DFP laden system . otherwise whats the cheapest way to purchase the new DPF system...duh
thanks guys.
You likely mean L2501. The l2501 has a mechanically injected engine whereas the L3901 is a common rail electronically controlled system. DPF mufflers often can be cleaned for much less than replacing them. You will still need a dealer with factory supplied software ( Diagmaster) to reset your system. Simple answer, No, You can't transfer any parts from the L2501 or any other engine to delete the DPF system!

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
How many hours are on the tractor? If it is low hours it MAY be just the emissions system that needs repaired/replaced. If there are an excessive amount of hours or it has been abused the emissions problem may be the result of "other" issues that will need to be fixed first.
Good luck.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I may be all wrong, but did I read here the emission systems are covered by a longer warranty?

5 years instead of 3?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like others have said:
No delete available for that model!

Check on warranty coverage.

You can have the dpf cleaned.

Yes you'll have to take it to a dealer to reset the system.

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
You likely mean L2501. The l2501 has a mechanically injected engine whereas the L3901 is a common rail electronically controlled system. DPF mufflers often can be cleaned for much less than replacing them. You will still need a dealer with factory supplied software ( Diagmaster) to reset your system. Simple answer, No, You can't transfer any parts from the L2501 or any other engine to delete the DPF system!
yes 2501
thx

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
How many hours are on the tractor? If it is low hours it MAY be just the emissions system that needs repaired/replaced. If there are an excessive amount of hours or it has been abused the emissions problem may be the result of "other" issues that will need to be fixed first.
Good luck.
700hrs
I don't have it physically with me yet as Im disputing the transaction due to not identifying the issue(s)
sounds like the latter and not the former. Ill know soon enough. The repair estimate was $4700...so far

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
I may be all wrong, but did I read here the emission systems are covered by a longer warranty?

5 years instead of 3?
guess I may be finding out. Hard to believe Kubota will not argue abuse if the entire system needs replacement.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
A local dealer in NY State where the machine is
The DPF should be covered by 5 year emissions warranty. Kubota are pretty good at honoring it. (They could face pretty big court cases if they don't. I would be interested in knowing what the dealer has done so far.

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
The DPF should be covered by 5 year emissions warranty. Kubota are pretty good at honoring it. (They could face pretty big court cases if they don't. I would be interested in knowing what the dealer has done so far.
nothing yet other then provide an estimate. and notify me that its in Stage 5 Regen....

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
nothing yet other then provide an estimate. and notify me that its in Stage 5 Regen....
It needs the DPF cleaned not replaced. Then they will have to do a soot reset and a regen to make sure it is working. I would do a soot reset now without cleaning it seeing it only has 700 hrs then do a regen or two and and then another soot reset if it was me doing it. I'll be surprised if your dealer will do that though! Kubota really don't recommend that. I have salvaged a couple of units this way that had been left idling for hours and got to level 5. I've never done it on a L series though, just on the SVL's and one M6. I don't think you have any other options. If they DO agree to do this make sure they do another soot reset after they have done the regen! On the SVL you need the serial number that is stamped into the DPF housing to enter into diagmaster to allow it to do it! Not sure if you do on the L series but likely.

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
It needs the DPF cleaned not replaced. Then they will have to do a soot reset and a regen to make sure it is working. I would do a soot reset now without cleaning it seeing it only has 700 hrs then do a regen or two and and then another soot reset if it was me doing it. I'll be surprised if your dealer will do that though! Kubota really don't recommend that. I have salvaged a couple of units this way that had been left idling for hours and got to level 5. I've never done it on a L series though, just on the SVL's and one M6. I don't think you have any other options. If they DO agree to do this make sure they do another soot reset after they have done the regen! On the SVL you need the serial number that is stamped into the DPF housing to enter into diagmaster to allow it to do it! Not sure if you do on the L series but likely.
im guessing they are like most dealers who believe in R&R( remove and replace) until diagnosis is correct. I don't have access to a Diagmaster/diagnosis analyzer so will need to have it brought to a dealership for the "reset" anyway.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
im guessing they are like most dealers who believe in R&R( remove and replace) until diagnosis is correct. I don't have access to a Diagmaster/diagnosis analyzer so will need to have it brought to a dealership for the "reset" anyway.
You won't be able to do anything to repair it without the Diagmaster tool and the only people who have that is Kubota dealers. It needs to be registered every year so even if you stole one it wouldn't be much good for long!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The DPF should be covered by 5 year emissions warranty. Kubota are pretty good at honoring it.
eserv -

Thanks for confirming my vague recollection.

I think sheepfarmer mentioned it a couple/few times while back.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The L series DPF system have been remarkably trouble free. You will have a great tractor when you get it fixed up!

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
You won't be able to do anything to repair it without the Diagmaster tool and the only people who have that is Kubota dealers. It needs to be registered every year so even if you stole one it wouldn't be much good for long!
that was my understanding...I was hoping to eliminate the entire DPF system and EGR but that seems "unobtanium" ( market must be so small and infantile that it isn't being served by some young inventive chap yet)