Installing Lower Radiator Hose Heater in BX

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

After a bit of research I've concluded that I need to install a lower radiator hose heater instead of a block heater in my BX1860. I've found several threads on this, which are useful. That said, I'd like to know if anyone has installed one of these in a BX1860? Based on my research, it seems like it's going to be a bit of a pain given shape of the hose and the space (limited) available.

I'm also wondering where in the hose the heater should go to allow for proper heating as well as ease of use. I'm considering snaking the plug thru the 'firewall' and into the battery compartment (somewhere) so that I only have to remove the screen and plug in during the winter months.

By the way, I have the Kubota heater seen here:
https://www.messicks.com/part/70000-00298/heater-kit-radiator

Thanks for any information here!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi-

After a bit of research I've concluded that I need to install a lower radiator hose heater instead of a block heater in my BX1860. I've found several threads on this, which are useful. That said, I'd like to know if anyone has installed one of these in a BX1860? Based on my research, it seems like it's going to be a bit of a pain given shape of the hose and the space (limited) available.

I'm also wondering where in the hose the heater should go to allow for proper heating as well as ease of use. I'm considering snaking the plug thru the 'firewall' and into the battery compartment (somewhere) so that I only have to remove the screen and plug in during the winter months.

By the way, I have the Kubota heater seen here:
https://www.messicks.com/part/70000-00298/heater-kit-radiator

Thanks for any information here!
This is the proper heater for a BX1850 and BX1860 It is PN 700000117a

Attachments

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Just a question.. What is the issue with a soft plug style block heater over the radiator hose heater?
If you are going to mount the lower radiator hose heater, positioning of it should be where you can get to it easy, where you can route the electrical cord safely and nothing will chafe either the heater, radiator hose or the electrical cord.
I have a factory installed block heater on My diesel powered Dodge truck. I bought a heavy duty Intermatic TN311MX timer. This one handles 15 amps but the pluss is that it is a 3 prong plug outlet. https://www.intermatic.com/en/in-wall-controls/plug-in-timers/tn311mx
I set the timer to come on 3-5 hours before I needed my truck in the morning so I wasn't running power all night

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Just a question.. What is the issue with a soft plug style block heater over the radiator hose heater?
If you are going to mount the lower radiator hose heater, positioning of it should be where you can get to it easy, where you can route the electrical cord safely and nothing will chafe either the heater, radiator hose or the electrical cord.
I have a factory installed block heater on My diesel powered Dodge truck. I bought a heavy duty Intermatic TN311MX timer. This one handles 15 amps but the pluss is that it is a 3 prong plug outlet. https://www.intermatic.com/en/in-wall-controls/plug-in-timers/tn311mx
I set the timer to come on 3-5 hours before I needed my truck in the morning so I wasn't running power all night
There isn't a soft plug on the BX1860 suitable for a block heater. There isn't really enough room to get a lower hose heater in there either and due to the design of the cooling system lower rad heaters don't work well anyway.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
My understanding is that the block heater, once installed in the BX1860, hits the muffler. The lower radiator hose heater is what Kubota says to use for this tractor.

I gave it a try today...it’s tight, and was a pain in the butt, but it’s now in. No leaks thus far and tractor temp seems ok. Coolant level held while working this afternoon. I’m interested to find out how it does over time. If I thought a block heater would work, I’d buy a replacement radiator hose and install a block heater, but based on my research, it just won’t fit with the muffler.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
There isn't a soft plug on the BX1860 suitable for a block heater. There isn't really enough room to get a lower hose heater in there either and due to the design of the cooling system lower rad heaters don't work well anyway.
ThatÂ’s for sure; not much room at all! I may take it out and reinstall sometime as IÂ’m not 100% satisfied with it right now. Since itÂ’s still warm here in VT, it remains to be seen how well it will work.

kenbx1860

Mar 31, 2015
canada
When I bought my bx1860 in 2011 I had a block heater installed at my dealership. It is mounted at the front left of engine and is only about 2” square. It’s gets so hot my dealer said to only leave it plugged in for about 20 minutes. I have left it for a longer period than that as sometimes I start it when it is -30 it has never given any greave and the cord just hangs below the motor cover. It gets very hot and seams to work well.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
When I bought my bx1860 in 2011 I had a block heater installed at my dealership. It is mounted at the front left of engine and is only about 2” square. It’s gets so hot my dealer said to only leave it plugged in for about 20 minutes. I have left it for a longer period than that as sometimes I start it when it is -30 it has never given any greave and the cord just hangs below the motor cover. It gets very hot and seams to work well.
No kidding? I was under the impression the muffler would get in the way; is that not the case? Can you put up a picture? If this is an option for me, with my bx1860, then that would be great!

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I use an inline heater on my L3300 has never failed available in most automotive shops in the great white north and not expensive
If there was enough room in the BX engine, I'd probably do this - there just really isn't the room. I'm surprised Kubota recommends this as an option on the BX1860. I installed an inline heater (this involved a lot of swearing and cursing Kubota for the poor engine layout), but after doing so I found that it would be unlikely that the oil filter would come out without jostling the lower-radiator hose around and possibly causing a coolant leak. In the end, I took the heater out and replaced the lower-radiator hose with a new one. I'm hopeful that @kenbx1860's block heater picture comes thru as I would much rather do this.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
All of this is super helpful, so thank you!

I fabricated a bracket (fabricate is a stretch here since all I did was cut and drill) out of aluminum stock yesterday. I think with the pictures and info, the next steps are draining the coolant, making the connections, and then refilling the coolant.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
No kidding? I was under the impression the muffler would get in the way; is that not the case? Can you put up a picture? If this is an option for me, with my bx1860, then that would be great!
I used to have a BX1860 and went down the same road as you. First bought the block plug. Easy peasy installation, until I tried to replace the muffler. Removed it and replaced the frost plug, then purchased a hose heater. As you've discovered, it's really a tight fit but with enough wriggling and cursing, you'll get it.

By the way, I ran the cord in the battery compartment. I only used it a few times per year so removing the screen panel wasn't a big deal to me.

The heater worked well enough. Probably not as well as the plug type, but it was fine for my needs.

Good luck.

jffastrack

Equipment
GR2120
Apr 4, 2021
Northeast
Well after all this time I have some pictures hope this helps anyone wanting a block heater on there bx1869
Hello all,

I have a GR2120 that apparently uses the same block heater type you guys have shown. I had already bought a lower hose heater,before knowing this. I was shocked to find out they want $500 =Tax and shipping for their recommended kit. Speechless is more like it.
Does anyone know if you can buy JUST the junction block that the hoses and element heater hook to?
Looks to be about $50 worth of plumbing, hose connections and a heater element IF one had the block to hook it all into.
Like the BX's there's no room for a lower hose style heater to make matters worse the lower hose size is different on the ends.
Thanks for any tips. This is frustrating!