Kubota RTV XG850 Sidekick Experience?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Ouch those $3000 doors though.....
Thought that was a bit excessive myself, along with the 600 dollar winch and 800 dollar bed lift, both of which I did myself for hundreds less. Bed lift (via a linear actuator) was 250 bucks, brackets are already on the bed and frame and winch was 130 plus the cabling and lugs ($110), and the winch (Harbor Freight 5000 pound) was plug and play and fits like it was made for the Sidekick.

Winch install is involved because you have to remove the belly pan to route the cables which is involved. Other than that, not a big deal, just time consuming.

Not about to fork over 3 grand for blow moulded plastic doors.

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Not exactly. The cooling air for the clutch assembly comes from a duct that is above the frame rail under the bed and exhausts via the roll cage but the combustion air for the engine comes via a plastic duct that runs from the air cleaner, under the floor and above the skid pan to the front of the vehicle and ends above the right inner fender.

Kubota uses a CVT with a one way clutch so you have decel braking which a normal CVT don't have.
The one way clutch is not unique to kubota, polaris has been using it on certain model rangers and sportsman's for years.....

Also polaris doesnt use a wet clutch, yamaha does along with a clutch pack which allows the primary/secondary to have constant tension on the belt....thats why you rarely need to replace the belt on a yamaha

Last edited:

FUSE

Equipment
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Ouch those $3000 doors though.....
Well, we didnt pay near that, in fact We got a smoking deal on the whole package, something like $18,600 OTD machine and all (black le model) and thats with them installing everything..... Next closest thing was a Ranger with a cab for 5 grand more.

FUSE

Equipment
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Snapchat-1352374558.jpg

She's alotta fun! Crazy the amount of snow it goes through

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We don't get that much snow to make tracks a viable option but my wife likes ours a bunch (she bought it) and I've farkled it up a bit. Just installed the front and rear mudflap kit so now it has a 5000 pound remote winch, mudflaps, side view mirrors and it's 100% road legal here in Michigan. Has the fold down windshield and sport top as well.

No issues what so ever other than it's kind of a PITA getting to the transmission case drain. Just did a fluid change engine and trans last week (29 hours), Kubota specs 30.

Got the upgraded fuel pedal from Kubota (installed it myself, warranty) and greased the suspension components.

FUSE

Equipment
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Upgraded fuel pedal? Is it located at a different angle or something?

Snapchat-1536958250.jpg

Another angle....we also went with a 5k winch, widespool with synthetic cable....install was easy. Wired in the dash switch and also opted for the wireless remote as well. If incould do it over again i would have probably not have messed with the dash switch as 99% of the time i will grab the remote....until it gets lost haha!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Upgraded fuel pedal? Is it located at a different angle or something?

View attachment 46297

Another angle....we also went with a 5k winch, widespool with synthetic cable....install was easy. Wired in the dash switch and also opted for the wireless remote as well. If incould do it over again i would have probably not have messed with the dash switch as 99% of the time i will grab the remote....until it gets lost haha!
Different angle, bigger pedal part. Wire rope for me, don't want synthetic and just the remote, no dash switch. Got a HF Badland winch, 5K, plug and play. 135 bucks in sale. Probably never use it but have it anyway. Remote goes in the glove box. Snatch block under the seat with a fabric choker.

TenPassCO

Equipment
KX-018 Excavator, Sidekick RTV-XG850 SE
Jan 15, 2020
Red Cliff, CO
Well, I bought a 2019 Special Edition with winch, elec/hyd bed lift, work lights, rear Plexi panel, front folding Plexi windshield, upgraded front spring. Then got chains and a Boss V-Plow.

I live at 11,000' elevation in the mountains of Colorado. I haven't been happy with the machine. I got it because my previous Canam Defender wasn't tough enough and too proprietary...kept breaking...busting A-Arms, every bit of the plow, doors, electrical, endless. The Sidekick is built strong. I have no complaints there. The cab bits are terrible though, like the rear panel is all warped and didn't fit tight to begin with. I expected better, but don't really care.

The power however.....horrendous. Up here my roads are all dirt and gravel, reasonably well maintained, but all 5-20% grade with side ditches. I can't go from a standstill up a 20% grade with the plow on (400lbs) and 250lbs of sand in back. The wheels with chains just won't turn, and the machine will stall out with error messages. If I drop one tire in a little ditch, same thing, stuck. Best I can do up hill on the typical roads, full throttle, summer time, no plow, is about 25 mph. 25 is fine, but I'm still a bit surprised.

The Canam Defender and neighbor's Ranger 800 never had any such power problems. And I had tracks on my Defender.

I can't imagine how stuck I'd be if I put tracks on this Sidekick. I don't think it would turn them up here on flat ground with some old snow around them.

I'm pretty bummed.

But I just love everything else about the machine. So I'm desperately searching for someone who sells an ECU chip or fuel controller to try to get me another 10HP or so.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried almost every place I could google that was remotely reputable and they don't have anything.

Thanks,

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I’m sorry for your dissatisfaction with your Sidekick. I love my 1120D but I’m on flat ground at sea level. At least with your sidekick you can’t blame the transmission as it is a CVT like the other brands you mention. I think you are on the right track. The engine needs more performance by tweaking the EFI computer I’m guessing. Good luck, hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Well, I bought a 2019 Special Edition with winch, elec/hyd bed lift, work lights, rear Plexi panel, front folding Plexi windshield, upgraded front spring. Then got chains and a Boss V-Plow.

I live at 11,000' elevation in the mountains of Colorado. I haven't been happy with the machine. I got it because my previous Canam Defender wasn't tough enough and too proprietary...kept breaking...busting A-Arms, every bit of the plow, doors, electrical, endless. The Sidekick is built strong. I have no complaints there. The cab bits are terrible though, like the rear panel is all warped and didn't fit tight to begin with. I expected better, but don't really care.

The power however.....horrendous. Up here my roads are all dirt and gravel, reasonably well maintained, but all 5-20% grade with side ditches. I can't go from a standstill up a 20% grade with the plow on (400lbs) and 250lbs of sand in back. The wheels with chains just won't turn, and the machine will stall out with error messages. If I drop one tire in a little ditch, same thing, stuck. Best I can do up hill on the typical roads, full throttle, summer time, no plow, is about 25 mph. 25 is fine, but I'm still a bit surprised.

The Canam Defender and neighbor's Ranger 800 never had any such power problems. And I had tracks on my Defender.

I can't imagine how stuck I'd be if I put tracks on this Sidekick. I don't think it would turn them up here on flat ground with some old snow around them.

I'm pretty bummed.

But I just love everything else about the machine. So I'm desperately searching for someone who sells an ECU chip or fuel controller to try to get me another 10HP or so.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried almost every place I could google that was remotely reputable and they don't have anything.

Thanks,
There is an "improved" ecu that Kubota is installing on those here in Canada. It is a campaign so if yours qualifies the dealer will eventually get out and install it. I don't know what is improved about it though!

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Ours goes like a raped ape. Plenty of oomph for us old geezers. In fact, my wife keeps telling me to slow down...lol I'd never consider a plow for it. Have the M9 with a 10 footer for that, not that we have had any 'plowable' snow this year and last year exactly ONE plowable storm. My rule of thumb is, it has to snow 6" before I put the plow on the tractor.

Didn't get the back panel but did get the plexi folding windshield and the 'sport top'. I'm considering removing the side seat restraints. They make it difficult to get in and out. To me, the doors look crude and are expensive, no thanks.

Have the pedal upgrade sitting in the shop, need to install that and return the old one to my dealer.... Things to do.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
"And the lead mechanic is buying my Honda Foreman too. It's a 94 with 344 hours on it."

Less than 14 hours a year makes one wonder why you even bought it.
My RTV-X1100C is pushing 2 1/2 years old and has 14 hours on the clock. I believe it had 2 or 3 when delivered.

Yes, I do wonder why I bought it and will likely sell it in the foreseeable future.

Nothing wrong with it, just like the 52 Sherman combo equipped 8N with carryall better.

Edit: Didn't look at the OP dates and didn't realize that this is an old thread.

SDT

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
My RTV-X1100C is pushing 2 1/2 years old and has 14 hours on the clock. I believe it had 2 or 3 when delivered.

Yes, I do wonder why I bought it and will likely sell it in the foreseeable future...

SDT
Based on the limited use you give it, unless you anticipate utilizing it more in the future, it probably makes sense to sell. One less thing to maintain.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Ours goes like a raped ape. Plenty of oomph for us old geezers. In fact, my wife keeps telling me to slow down...lol I'd never consider a plow for it. Have the M9 with a 10 footer for that, not that we have had any 'plowable' snow this year and last year exactly ONE plowable storm. My rule of thumb is, it has to snow 6" before I put the plow on the tractor.

Didn't get the back panel but did get the plexi folding windshield and the 'sport top'. I'm considering removing the side seat restraints. They make it difficult to get in and out. To me, the doors look crude and are expensive, no thanks.

Have the pedal upgrade sitting in the shop, need to install that and return the old one to my dealer.... Things to do.
Would you care to share the part# for the pedal upgrade? My dealer couldn't find any information on it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't have a part number, was given to me without a bag or box. I'll have to check with them when I visit next time as my OS9 is there getting the valves adjusted and a timing case seal replaced.

Tweetybrun

Equipment
L 3200 Tractor Loader B/H RTV x1100c Grand L 4060 FL 805, BH 9.2
Jul 28, 2014
Hancock New York
Kubota missed the boat, they should have made a full cab version with HEat and Air. What were they thinking?

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Made contact with my dealer again, after checking they said yes there is a pedal upgrade. Not replacing the pedal just making some adjustments and new cable and few other minor things.