Defective wheels on new L47 kubota tractor

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry to hear that. 👎🏻
Have the wheels on your cars always been properly torqued, and re-torqued?
I know that over the past 67 years of driving mine certainly have not.
Lots of miles driven, with never a single wheel failure!
"Gutentite" is still working for me.

Last edited:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I always check others work, the last time I had my F250 at the dealer for warranty work I checked the torque and the wrench started moving at 70 and the spec. is 140. I honestly wonder how there isn’t more accidents.

My new Kubota had the lugnuts close to spec. but every other bolt on the loader and backhoe was way too loose.

Mr.L47hasdefectiverims

Equipment
L47
Jul 25, 2023
Alabama
"Defective" is misleading. The wheels aren't really defective, but the engineering was (or more likely, the corporate decision-making was defective). These wheels simply aren't strong enough for the backhoe application, especially in a real construction environment. I'm a utility (telecom) contractor and we use this machine on the job. The reason the lug nuts like to go loose is because the wheels have too much flex when subjected to the typical side-to-side lateral forces they experience when coming onto and off the outriggers, re-positioning the machine with the backhoe (like all backhoe operators do constantly) and occasionally having to use the hoe without the outriggers down, etc. These wheels are probably OK enough for a Homeowner Bob situation, but they won't stand up to the real uses this machine was supposedly designed for.

Mine started loosening up often pretty early on (less than 50 hrs) and the spider cracks were noticed not long after. Others I know have had the same issues. As the cracks kept appearing and spreading on both wheels (by 500 hrs) and I figured out why it was happening, I approached dealer with the problem (had the 5-year bumper-to-bumper) and they wouldn't fix it under warranty because it wasn't from an 'accident', and there was/is no factory recall.

So, with fine cracks spreading out several inches from every lug on both wheels, and not wanting to try and weld all of that and couldn't have expected that to be successful anyway, I got out the plasma cutter and drill, and fabricated some plates out of 1/4" steel (see pic attached). It took a bit of regular re-torqueing over a few real-world machine hours to finally get them properly cupped into the wheel curvature, and I haven't really had any problems since. Lugs stay tight and it pretty much halted the cracking for quite a long time.

Over 1600hrs on the unit now and I'm just beginning to see that a couple of the already-existing cracks that I sandwiched in with the plates have finally made it out past it on one wheel and I'll be re-placing both rims before long. Plates let me get over 1,000 more hrs out of rims that were already heavily damaged & otherwise beyond repair. I will absolutely be re-installing them on the new rims and hopefully prevent the issue from happening again.

As noted above; These factory rear wheels just aren't up to the task they've been given. I'm sure they are used on other models/applications without much issue, which I assume is why there hasn't been a recall because the overall failure rate is probably fairly low all told) but they just can't handle the typical abuses of a backhoe.

So, for you other l47/L45 owners and fleet guys, here is the DIY 'fix' that has worked out fairly well for me so far. Hope it helps.
View attachment 107232
I have a 2021 l47 ( 700 hrs ) and have same exact issue — it still happens from time to time and when I hear it I stop and tighten them. I do have the spider webs… still small at the moment but knowingly as you have said , they are gonna continue. I assumed i was only one for whatever reason — so never reached out to them —
now seeing that I’m not , It’s definitely a factory issue —

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Has anyone heard of, or tried to, "safety wire" the lugs like they do on aircraft?

Example:

1690359918515.png

Reactions: 1 user

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Zombie post that started in 2018 and died, responded too again in 2020 and died. Now lives again. I wonder if the O.P. 2018 had his question answered.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Zombie post that started in 2018 and died, responded too again in 2020 and died. Now lives again. I wonder if the O.P. 2018 had his question answered.
Damn it!!!!

I always fall for that. Hahahhaha

Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
12 replies in the last two weeks, it must have some merit. This most recent resurrection actually offered a reason as to why this problem is occurring and a solution proven for about a 1000 hours. Good, worthwhile and valuable content in my book. I think the zombies lost this one for a while.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious...
in the picture in the PDF that WT posted, the nuts/bolts don't seem to be pressing against the face (surface) of the rim ?
maybe the holes in rim are too big,should have had flat washers,similar to my truck rims ?

KeithT0324

Equipment
Kubota L47
Jul 31, 2023
Tennessee
I have a 3 year old L47 and just noticed the cracking yesterday. One wheel I have had to tighten lug nuts before because they were loose. The holes are now elongated and severe cracking, enough that it needs to be replaced. The other side I have never had to tighten lug nuts. Still has cracking on the outside but doesn't go all the way through yet. Very frustrating to have to replace wheels after 3 years and 700 hours. I don't want it to happen again.

KeithT0324

Equipment
Kubota L47
Jul 31, 2023
Tennessee
I have a 2021 l47 ( 700 hrs ) and have same exact issue — it still happens from time to time and when I hear it I stop and tighten them. I do have the spider webs… still small at the moment but knowingly as you have said , they are gonna continue. I assumed i was only one for whatever reason — so never reached out to them —
now seeing that I’m not , It’s definitely a factory issue —
"Defective" is misleading. The wheels aren't really defective, but the engineering was (or more likely, the corporate decision-making was defective). These wheels simply aren't strong enough for the backhoe application, especially in a real construction environment. I'm a utility (telecom) contractor and we use this machine on the job. The reason the lug nuts like to go loose is because the wheels have too much flex when subjected to the typical side-to-side lateral forces they experience when coming onto and off the outriggers, re-positioning the machine with the backhoe (like all backhoe operators do constantly) and occasionally having to use the hoe without the outriggers down, etc. These wheels are probably OK enough for a Homeowner Bob situation, but they won't stand up to the real uses this machine was supposedly designed for.

Mine started loosening up often pretty early on (less than 50 hrs) and the spider cracks were noticed not long after. Others I know have had the same issues. As the cracks kept appearing and spreading on both wheels (by 500 hrs) and I figured out why it was happening, I approached dealer with the problem (had the 5-year bumper-to-bumper) and they wouldn't fix it under warranty because it wasn't from an 'accident', and there was/is no factory recall.

So, with fine cracks spreading out several inches from every lug on both wheels, and not wanting to try and weld all of that and couldn't have expected that to be successful anyway, I got out the plasma cutter and drill, and fabricated some plates out of 1/4" steel (see pic attached). It took a bit of regular re-torqueing over a few real-world machine hours to finally get them properly cupped into the wheel curvature, and I haven't really had any problems since. Lugs stay tight and it pretty much halted the cracking for quite a long time.

Over 1600hrs on the unit now and I'm just beginning to see that a couple of the already-existing cracks that I sandwiched in with the plates have finally made it out past it on one wheel and I'll be re-placing both rims before long. Plates let me get over 1,000 more hrs out of rims that were already heavily damaged & otherwise beyond repair. I will absolutely be re-installing them on the new rims and hopefully prevent the issue from happening again.

As noted above; These factory rear wheels just aren't up to the task they've been given. I'm sure they are used on other models/applications without much issue, which I assume is why there hasn't been a recall because the overall failure rate is probably fairly low all told) but they just can't handle the typical abuses of a backhoe.

So, for you other l47/L45 owners and fleet guys, here is the DIY 'fix' that has worked out fairly well for me so far. Hope it helps.
View attachment 107232
I like this. Perhaps extra Large Washers would do the same thing.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I have a 3 year old L47 and just noticed the cracking yesterday. One wheel I have had to tighten lug nuts before because they were loose. The holes are now elongated and severe cracking, enough that it needs to be replaced. The other side I have never had to tighten lug nuts. Still has cracking on the outside but doesn't go all the way through yet. Very frustrating to have to replace wheels after 3 years and 700 hours. I don't want it to happen again.
Curious, do you use the backhoe very much? Any idea what percentage of the 700 hours? It’s been hypothesized above that lateral movement/loading of the machine while using the backhoe, or adjusting while using FB the backhoe is leading to this cracking of the wheels.

KeithT0324

Equipment
Kubota L47
Jul 31, 2023
Tennessee
Curious, do you use the backhoe very much? Any idea what percentage of the 700 hours? It’s been hypothesized above that lateral movement/loading of the machine while using the backhoe, or adjusting while using FB the backhoe is leading to this cracking of the wheels.
Hard to say. I'll guess 50 percent using backhoe. These wheels do seem like a weak point. Maybe even Large heavy washers would help. Hopefully the dealer will be able to help. I'm sending photos to them today.