New keepers for shanks on box blade

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
The keepers that come on the Land Pride box blade are a pain to get out when you are trying to do work with and move the shanks up and down. I saw these on eBay and thought I would give them a try. They call them F-pins and were $26.74 with shipping for five of them. Seem to work so far, I will follow up when I get a chance to try them our for real.

Here are a couple pictures to compare what comes on the box blade and what the F-pins look like:

And a picture of the F-pin installed:

Attachments

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
That's a clever idea. I will keep watch to see how good they work

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
How does that keep the scaifer from moveing up or down.??
I think if fills the gap up so the tooth cannot come forward and unhook. It looks like it just hangs in the slot loose

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Scarifiers are notched, f-pins keep them engaged. I have the same setup with those spring clips on my Gannon box blade. Kind of a pain, especially when one "boings" out of the channel locks & goes flying. I had some "L" bolts (for stem wall to sole plate) and cut the threaded portion off, for the same effect as the "F" pins. (but cheaper:))

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
For a nwb that hasn't used one yet, what would keep the new F pin from bouncing or rattling out on its own? I noticed a hole in the pin but nothing to keep it in place.
I'm obviously missing something :confused:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
When the shanks are are down, there will be pressure on the pins and I hope the length of the pins will keep them from bouncing out.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When the shanks are are down, there will be pressure on the pins and I hope the length of the pins will keep them from bouncing out.
That is my experience, haven't had a single one pop out yet. When I'm not using the rippers, I reverse them so they're sticking up, and drop the "L" pins in. Haven't had any come out that way either.

Reactions: 1 user

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Now that I've figured out what I'm looking at, I have to say I like the keepers on my Woods HD box blade better. 1 piece locks in both shanks on each side and has a spring link pin keeper.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I hate those Land Pride spring clips--they're surprisingly difficult to get a good grip on with channel locks--and these look like a great alternative. Price doesn't seem totally out of line, but I'm wondering if I might hack something cheaper and save some money. E.g., dropping a hex head bolt in the slot, with one side of the hex cut (or ground) flush with bolt shaft. Must ponder.

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US
Been looking online at box blades. Looking at the Land Pride version it appears the new models have done away with those keepers. Am I seeing it correctly? Looks like they use a pin through the scarifier and hairpin clip instead of a clip on at least the BB15 model.

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama
Been looking online at box blades. Looking at the Land Pride version it appears the new models have done away with those keepers. Am I seeing it correctly? Looks like they use a pin through the scarifier and hairpin clip instead of a clip on at least the BB15 model.
that's what mine has BB2560

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Just to follow up on my post, I really like these keepers better than the ones that came with the box blade. It is so much easier to move the shanks up and down. I used the box blade the other day and didn't have any problems with the new keepers. I would recommend changing to this stye keeper.

hiho silver, some of the Land Pride box blades have the pins that go through the shanks and some have the keepers.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
At $5 each, one would think that they could be fabbed up at far less cost.

Some bar stock and a torch for bending (since the hole doesn't seem to have a purpose).

Or a hack saw (plasma cutter) and a welder for something a bit fancier.

OTOH, $26 for a one time expense isn't too bad - especially if it relieves some stress.:)

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I use 3/4 inch re-bar, heated and bent to shape. I haven't had any pop out yet. The rough texture also helps keep 'em in place, me thinks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have the BB1548, and it uses the pin with the hairpin clip to lock the scarifers in place. I love it! It is easy and quick to change. No tools needed.

catmanjan

Equipment
L2000DT
Oct 16, 2016
Australia
Sorry to resurrect this one, but I have acquired an identical ripper, all I have is the shanks and the tool bar that they go into - no pins or keepers.

I cannot for the life of me understand how those keepers actually retain the shank though?

In the third picture is the f pin driven in and held by friction, or is it just hanging there?

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
The scarifier has notches that engage in the box blade. The pin/keeper then goes into the space left by sliding the scarifier notches into the support. In the picture below, the scarifer would move to the left and the pin would drop into the open space on the right.

scarifier.jpg