3rd.function valve not working

Piper59

Equipment
L2501 w fel,howse 5ft.bush hog,howse 5ft.bb,piranha TB,MTL Grapple, Titan forks
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
Ok,kind of a long story.Back in Sept.tropical storm Imelda hit and flooded my home & tractor,none of the water got inside the motor but it did get high enough to freeze up my starter after a couple of days,so I had it sent to local Kubota dealer.Insurance paid a wrecker to pick up.They changed all the fluids,changed out the starter & finally got it back in mid Nov.While it was there I had them install a 3rd.function valve kit knowing I wanted to buy a grapple later on.Well I finally was able to get a grapple which arrived yesterday and hooked it up.Nothing at all,so thought maybe I didn't have the hyd.connections on properly so re attached and still nothing.I think it's an electrical problem as I couldn't hear anything when pushing the buttons.Did have a little hyd.fluid squirt out during hook up.I know the obvious answer would be "bring it back to the dealer" but I have no way to transport.Any idea's on what I need to look for first? Tractor is a L2501 (11 months old)and 3rd.function valve was bought & installed by Kubota dealer.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ok,kind of a long story.Back in Sept.tropical storm Imelda hit and flooded my home & tractor,none of the water got inside the motor but it did get high enough to freeze up my starter after a couple of days,so I had it sent to local Kubota dealer.Insurance paid a wrecker to pick up.They changed all the fluids,changed out the starter & finally got it back in mid Nov.While it was there I had them install a 3rd.function valve kit knowing I wanted to buy a grapple later on.Well I finally was able to get a grapple which arrived yesterday and hooked it up.Nothing at all,so thought maybe I didn't have the hyd.connections on properly so re attached and still nothing.I think it's an electrical problem as I couldn't hear anything when pushing the buttons.Did have a little hyd.fluid squirt out during hook up.I know the obvious answer would be "bring it back to the dealer" but I have no way to transport.Any idea's on what I need to look for first? Tractor is a L2501 (11 months old)and 3rd.function valve was bought & installed by Kubota dealer.
Not familiar with the third function valve used on the 2501 but the third function valves on my M9960, L6060, and B3350 have an illuminated on/off push button switch. The lamp toggles on/of when the button is pushed.

Does your lamp turn on?

Heads up: The switch is very fragile and easily damaged during installation/servicing and by the elements. Leave it for the dealer.

SDT

Piper59

Equipment
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
Not familiar with the third function valve used on the 2501 but the third function valves on my M9960, L6060, and B3350 have an illuminated on/off push button switch. The lamp toggles on/of when the button is pushed.

Does your lamp turn on?

Heads up: The switch is very fragile and easily damaged during installation/servicing and by the elements. Leave it for the dealer.

SDT
Don't see a lamp that turns on and never have since I had it installed,only 2 buttons on the control handle.The buttons do not illuminate when pushed.

Last edited:

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
It seems that the problem is electrical. If you just have the key switch in the on position without the engine running, you should hear the click of the relay when you press the buttons. If you do not, then maybe a wire got loose during the service. At least, this is how my L4701 is.

Piper59

Equipment
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
It seems that the problem is electrical. If you just have the key switch in the on position without the engine running, you should hear the click of the relay when you press the buttons. If you do not, then maybe a wire got loose during the service. At least, this is how my L4701 is.
thanks,I'll give that a try this evening.No relay click then at least I'll know (or think I know) that it's electrical.

Piper59

Equipment
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
Called the dealer & they are going to pick it up later this evening.So I'll soon find out what the problem is.Thanks to those that replied!

dwelling21

Equipment
l3560, land pride rta1258 tiller, ea wicked root single lid grapple
Mar 4, 2016
Lisbon Falls,me,usa
I had the same issue on a brand new installed 3rd function kit on my l3560. It is electrical for sure. When installed, not enough wiring was left to account for toggling the bucket lever back and forth and up and down, so when i went to use it, the wiring basically snapped right off the switch on the bucket lever. I looked it over and could tell it was installed with no play in wiring and sent pics to dealer. They agreed and sent someone out to redo it. All is good and has been for 2 yrs now. Hope this helps, maybe u had same issue. Also, hydro fluid is normal out of the hookups where u attach grapple, just make sure u put covers on them when not in use***128513;

Piper59

Equipment
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
Dealer picked my tractor up yesterday and brought it back today all fixed and ready to go.Come to find out a hose was hooked up wrong.Apparently they didn't back check it when first installed but all is good.The dealer picked it up the same day I called,repaired it and brought it back today.Can't beat that quick service.