M9540 blower motor

texczech

Nov 9, 2013
Texas
I need to put in a blower motor in this M9540. It is in an awful location and looks like it will be a lot of stuff to remove to get to it- like maybe the seat, underseat panels and the entire air conditioner assembly that is under the seat. Anyone familiar with the blower motor replacement procedure? Thanks!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
With the blower motor costing over $500 ( ASSY MOTOR 3C581-72150 $530.19) and you have not yet seen it to confirm the need to replace it, what symptoms are you seeing?

Dave

texczech

Nov 9, 2013
Texas
I gained access to the blower and wiring- there are 2 large yellow wires- there was power and ground on the wires. I then tapped the fan & it ran, very slowly and quit, while it had power. So tapping the fan made it start working and stopping. That usually means a bad electrical component. Removing the fan assembly looks to be an unusually difficult/long job that looks like the entire AC assembly needs to be removed! Looking for some advice on replacing this fan. Thanks!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Before you get too involved, try giving the fan bearings a shot of WD 40 with the long reach nozzle. The sleeve bearings might be dried out and prevent it from spooling up.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
With the blower motor costing over $500 ( ASSY MOTOR 3C581-72150 $530.19) and you have not yet seen it to confirm the need to replace it, what symptoms are you seeing?

Dave
That is insane but then some OEM parts are competitively priced, some are stupid priced. Think if it was me, for that amount of jack, I'd be rebuilding the motor on the bench...or do like my above post suggests.

I know I had to replace a tie rod end on one of my M9's, 125 bucks OEM. Got one online, exact replacement for 55 bucks. Some parts have to be OEM but most can be sourced elsewhere.

texczech

Nov 9, 2013
Texas
not a fun job getting to this thing. Also I don't think that the motor shaft is accessible from where I am. The relays are also in a terrible spot, under the seat panel.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There was a thread on the M9540 blower motor about 2-3 months ago. Might want to do a search for that topic.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
not a fun job getting to this thing. Also I don't think that the motor shaft is accessible from where I am. The relays are also in a terrible spot, under the seat panel.
I sure am glad my climate controls and hardware is all above the cab headliner. 6 screws to take the lid off and everything is right there. Only reason why I see Kubota moving it was to put outlets in the lower dash panel. Cleaning is a snap too. Take the lid off and blow it out with an air hose.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I sure am glad my climate controls and hardware is all above the cab headliner. 6 screws to take the lid off and everything is right there. Only reason why I see Kubota moving it was to put outlets in the lower dash panel. Cleaning is a snap too. Take the lid off and blow it out with an air hose.

I sure am glad my M7040 with evaporator under seat cools so much better than the M4900 with evaporater under cab roof it replaced. In 1600+ hrs of operation the M7040 evaporater hasn't required cleaning.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You can get the entire blower out without removing/disconnecting any AC lines. I helped my neighbor replace his blower motor last summer. Yes, just about everything is removed from the seat to the floor pan. I saw no way to service or find a replacement aftermarket motor. We cleaned every speck of dust of off everything while we were in there. Ended up hosing it all out with the garden hose, shielding some area with some cardboard.

After all the work to get to the motor, I'm not willing to put an untested after market product in there to save $200. (I wouldn't do the labor to replace one for $200, so I wouldn't want to use after market to save the $200).

Make sure the relays/connection are good before spending money on the blower motor.

texczech

Nov 9, 2013
Texas
So how does the blower come out after you can see the plastic impeller(at the top). Does that entire plastic lower housing that holds the heater & evaporator core & blower motor come up & out? Or does it split somewhere? I am assuming that this plastic housing is bolted to the floor.

texczech

Nov 9, 2013
Texas
We got the blower motor and Heater core installed- after removing the seat and it's mounting plate we were able to get the lower plastic large housing out- The ac system does not have to be drained. The evap core and it's hoses will lift out of the plastic lower housing. Turned out not to be quite as bad as I imagined.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We got the blower motor and Heater core installed- after removing the seat and it's mounting plate we were able to get the lower plastic large housing out- The ac system does not have to be drained. The evap core and it's hoses will lift out of the plastic lower housing. Turned out not to be quite as bad as I imagined.
Good deal.:D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I sure am glad my M7040 with evaporator under seat cools so much better than the M4900 with evaporater under cab roof it replaced. In 1600+ hrs of operation the M7040 evaporater hasn't required cleaning.
When it does (and it will eventually) you'll have a much harder time than me removing 6 screws to access mine. Mine cools jut fine since I put Reflectix foil bubble foil insulation under the plastic roof panel. Will freeze you out anytime.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yeah I've done one of those. At first you start inventing new words, directed at the engineers who designed it. Once you figure out that the evap comes out without evacuating, etc, it becomes much simpler than first thought. Normally if you tap on the motor and it begins to turn, that means the the motor brushes are either worn out or they are stuck. I have a motor at work out of a 9540 and might try to see if I can get it apart, perhaps I can source a set of brushes to repair it. It's only been a few years since I've looked at it so I can't recall if the motor is welded "closed" or if it's able to be disassembled easily by the home mechanic. It can be disassembled if it's welded, but not easily, and typically is considered a throwaway if they built it like that. Seems like there would be an automotive application that uses the same motor but I have been out of the automotive stuff for about 15 years other than my own hobby stuff and I can't recall the last time I had to replace a blower motor on anything of mine.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Had one of those spot welded case motors on my ceiling vent fan in my RV that needed brushes. Found a compatible set and ground off the welds and replaced them and rewelded the case with my TIG. Easier to control weld heat and do localized welding without destroying the part.

One of my favorite things to do when I'm bored is butt weld two aluminum coke cans together. Good practice for thin gauge welding and proper feeding of filler rod too.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I'm usually pretty creative at getting things repaired, but I remember studying that blower motor on Dan's M9540 and I gave up!

Lugbolt, be sure to dig that thing up and give your opinion.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Had one of those spot welded case motors on my ceiling vent fan in my RV that needed brushes. Found a compatible set and ground off the welds and replaced them and rewelded the case with my TIG. Easier to control weld heat and do localized welding without destroying the part.

One of my favorite things to do when I'm bored is butt weld two aluminum coke cans together. Good practice for thin gauge welding and proper feeding of filler rod too.
Back in the 80’s, I did business at KC Aviation in Dallas and I visited the machine shop one day to find two welders arguing over who was more talented. One of them had welded a 1/16” piece of flat aluminum to a thick, cast-aluminum axle housing and was bragging about it.
Next day, the other welder welded a piece of aluminum foil to the other side of the casting and handed it back to the first guy.
First welder then stripped the wax-paper off a chewing-gum wrapper and butt welded it to the aluminum foil, and was showing it to the second guy .... when the Director of Operations, Mr. Connell walked up behind, surprising them and looked over the parts.
He demanded of them if they’d done that on “shop time using shop equipment”...and they fearfully had to say “Yes”.

“Well’, Connell said, “ you now get $2 more an hour.... I can’t afford to lose talent like that. Get back to work!”

I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed two guys more scared so quickly relieved then so quickly happy!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Repaired tape measures that broke before, welding them back together. Pretty easy using a copper backing plate. I love TIG. it's slow but if it conducts electricity, it's joinable.

Have a Lincoln Invertig, actually have 2, and a new ESAB pulsed MIG that lays down a TIG appearing weld (stack of dimes), at MIG speeds. I grew up on Gas welding so TIG was a very natural thing for me. Back in the day, I gas welded with coathangers for filler rod. of course they were metal back then, not plastic...:D

Think my favorite MIG is still the inexpensive Hobart 220 shielded gas series, I have a couple in the 190 flavor. Great machines, easy to get a quality weld with good penetration and a good looking bead. Excellent wet out. Only problem is wire capacity. Max 10 pound spool. I like a 40 pound feeder. We run them real hard and neither have ever failed.