L2501 6hrs new rattle

lphegner

Oct 20, 2019
US
Was out moving a little snow this morning with my nearly new L2501 this morning. When backing it in the shed I heard a rattling noise that I had not noticed before. It seems to go away when the clutch is depressed. Not sure if this is normal? Will likely contact my dealer on it. I have attached a link to a short video. Give it a listen and let me know what you think. Thanks and Happy New Year!

https://youtu.be/Z8GG5wObrbE

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds like normal diesel combustion noise to me....

lphegner

Oct 20, 2019
US
Any idea why it goes away when the clutch is depressed?

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I think I can hear what your taking about, in the video sounds like your depressing the clutch and releasing a couple times and the noise comes and goes. In the video it’s faint compared to the diesel clatter.

It sounds like to me is you might have the PTO engaged with nothing connected to it. An unloaded engaged PTO can make some noise because of some play in the PTO drive gears. If that’s what it is I don’t there is anything wrong, just disengage the PTO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lphegner

Oct 20, 2019
US
I think I can hear what your taking about, in the video sounds like your depressing the clutch and releasing a couple times and the noise comes and goes. In the video it’s faint compared to the diesel clatter.

It sounds like to me is you might have the PTO engaged with nothing connected to it. An unloaded engaged PTO can make some noise because of some play in the PTO drive gears. If that’s what it is I don’t there is anything wrong, just disengage the PTO.

Good thought as I was using the PTO snowblower this morning as well. Just went and double checked. PTO is disengaged and rattle is still present. I will post another video where hopefully it will be a little more noticeable.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
With the tractor idling, get off and grab parts of the three-point hitch...top link, lift arms, etc. I think something is just rattling. With the clutch engaged, more of the driveline is spinning and it creates more vibrations.

At least the L2501 still sounds like a "real" tractor!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
With the tractor idling, get off and grab parts of the three-point hitch...top link, lift arms, etc. I think something is just rattling. With the clutch engaged, more of the driveline is spinning and it creates more vibrations.
Good point trover - I think it was Bulldog here on OTT that chased a rattling draw bar for some time!

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
yea, I can here it in that video better. Like troverman said, lots more stuff is turning with the cluch engaged, in person it probably sounds different, but it the video it doesn’t sound serious, however, I would let the dealer know about it now, just in case, it’s something that’s needs fixed under warranty later.

I agree, the engine sounds good, like a diesel is supposed to sound.

some people report that at the 50 maintenance, with an HST fluid change it quiets down quit a bit.

blperk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200, FEL, Betstco 63" flail mower, B2782b front snowblower
Dec 25, 2018
Canandaigua, NY
May not be an issue for you, but by far the loudest rattle on my B3200 comes from the ROPS. It comes and goes depending on what else is vibrating on the tractor.

lphegner

Oct 20, 2019
US
Well I gave the machine a very thorough look over while running and was not able to locate the source of the rattle. Sounds like it might be a coming from the bell house area.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
May not be an issue for you, but by far the loudest rattle on my B3200 comes from the ROPS. It comes and goes depending on what else is vibrating on the tractor.
On the L series, the ROPs is bolted and doesn’t rattle like they do on the B series.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I was assuming it’s an HST tractor, if so, put the gear in neutral, mash down on the go peddle forward and backwards, that will put more load on the drive system, see if that gives any indication of something different.

Oh and happy new year, 2020! that’s just weird.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
This is a shot in the dark, but on the underside there several weep fittings to allow moisture out of various housings. They look a bit like a grease zerk, but have loose pin hanging out.

It it possible that pin is rattling?

Check everything connected to, or touching, that clutch pedal assembly.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Your L2501 sounds exactly like mine. I dont think you have a problem here. One place I have noticed I have some rattle on mine is from the loader stand arms that are on the LA525 loader. I would encourage you to go and grab those arms, and grab their connection points to the loader and see if it stops. Im at over 30 hours on my new L2501 now, and mine has always sounded just like yours. I have always noticed that shift in sound when pressing the clutch. I never was concerned by it however. There are several little loose washers and things that can rattle, and as I said before I twice traced a weird rattle down to the loader support stand arms that are folded up to the underside of the loader. I have never had any rattling with the rops.

EDIT: Please update us however on what you find out with this. Im curious to see what your dealer says about it. If it does turn out to be something serious mine will need to go in too lol

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I've also found I get a lot of rattling noise from the levers vibrating against the plastic on either side of the tractor. Another area to look is make sure your hood is held tight to the latch. As others have said, go around and hold on to things with it running. Don't grab your PTO, that is never a good idea, but things like FEL pins, quick release handles, levers, covers, panels etc. I'm amazed what causes noise on my B3200.

Oh and yes the ROPS on the B3200 is by far the noisiest. I've seen a couple mods where they add a bolt and a shim plate to keep it from rattling. For now I've found that a good set of noise cancellation headphones does the trick. For the levers, I've split a length of vacuum tube and slid it on the inside of the cut outs where all my levers are (PTO, 3point, 4WD) and it quieted right up.

lphegner

Oct 20, 2019
US
Thanks everyone for your positive comments and suggestions! I haven't had a chance to get it into the dealer yet as it will be a little work.

Part of the reason it will be a pain is a few weeks back I installed an Original Tractor Company cab and I should probably remove it to haul it on my open trailer. If you're not familiar, they are mostly a soft cab that will likely get destroyed at highway speeds.

Also, with some of the comments so far, I'm starting to wonder if the noise is normal and has been there all along. Now that I'm inside the enclosure perhaps it is trapping the sound inside making it more noticeable? I will give it another good look this weekend and decide on my next step.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
It might be faster to go to the dealer and drive a couple of their L2501 units listening for the sound. It might be more feint without the cab.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Also, with some of the comments so far, I'm starting to wonder if the noise is normal and has been there all along. Now that I'm inside the enclosure perhaps it is trapping the sound inside making it more noticeable?
That definitely sounds like a good theory.

Just thinking a couple guys thought it sounded like their L2501's....Some guys with cabs often complain the HST whine is more pronounced with the enclosure.

Maybe yours is similar for a different sound/rattle?

Last edited:

Captain Itch

Equipment
L3301 HST 66in. Tomahawk bucket ,EA grapple ..
After putting on a few miles on Harleys and Indians I can tell you that there is a large amount of noise thrown back at you with a windshield on .. Just thinking about the noises that you may hear in an enclosure ..