TV stuff

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK guys I finally got them to shut off the satellite dish, 100 and some buck a month for something I dont use is a waste. Anyways, I understand there are a bunch of ways to watch TV with out cable or dish, and yes I still have an antenna in the attic though I dont know if the new TVs will work with it. So guys let me know what y'all are using.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Antenna. TV is ~3 years old. Need to set it up as the source.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Use an old TV antenna mounted on a 2" pipe 25 feet in the air. Get about 42 channels. Some duplicates, some I always skip over. Wife gets Net Flicks for about $15 a month for movies. There is also a lot on Youtubube that's interesting.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
If you have an internet connection with 10 mbs you can get a Roku box and stream 100's of channels. Most of them free. Pluto TV is a good one, with lots of live channels and there are too many others channels to mention. We ditched directv years ago and never looked back. We get about a dozen over the air stations and the rest on the internet. We also have Amazon prime as well as Hulu at $6.40 a month. Can't see how satellite tv can survive with so many other options

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
OK guys I finally got them to shut off the satellite dish, 100 and some buck a month for something I dont use is a waste. Anyways, I understand there are a bunch of ways to watch TV with out cable or dish, and yes I still have an antenna in the attic though I dont know if the new TVs will work with it. So guys let me know what y'all are using.
My father in law hooked his old ancient (HUGE) antenna to his digital tv with out issue. His was mounted on an old ham radio tower attached to the side of his house.

He picked up every station 50 miles south of him in Little Rock without the fading [emoji14] Probably 30 or 40 channels.

I have a small amplified antenna where the dish was mounted to my roof. I get about 12 stations most fade in an out. I'm only 35 mile from Little Rock.

I would hook it up, run some updated cable and give it a go and see what you get before buying a new antenna.

Wife and I have a roku stick hooked to the TV. We have subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon Prime for movies and shows. Only issue we've been having with prime is the videos play fine for the first half, then resemble the old kungfu movies where the voice over doesn't quite match up to the picture.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here ya go. Here's a website that will show you the location of the tv channel transmitters in your area. Just plug in your zip code and follow the instructions.
https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

Here's a great website for info on all over the air tv reception and what you need. A lot depends on the distances, directions, antenna selection, etc. We've only had an outdoor antenna for many years. Wound up buying a Winegard antenna with a pre amp and amplifier and got great results.
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/?redirect=false

Make sure your antenna will receive all the frequencies in your area (VHF, UHF, subchannels? and future frequencies that might show up)

Regards,
David

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Remember when there were only three black and white channels?
NBC, CBS and ABC.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Remember when there were only three black and white channels?
NBC, CBS and ABC.
And if the President was on, you were screwed for the night, for tv watching.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Thought for today: Don't you wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up intelligence? There's one marked BRIGHTNESS, but it doesn't work!

Having those three tv stations reminded me of that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And back in them days, you as a kid, were the remote!

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
The high points of the weekend were cartoons on Saturday morning, Lawrence Welk on Saturday night and Ed Sullivan on Sunday night.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Geez I remember that! And before that it was the Lone Ranger on the radio at 7, fo!!owed by the Shadow, which my mother would turn off, in case it gave me nightmares :eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good Lord sheepfarmer, I remember Mom tuning Dragnet and Amos and Andy on the radio, And a good night sometime she could get WSM out of Nashville. Somebody said it,, life was a lot simpler then.
Yes guys I have to find a matching transformer to attach to the antenna so I can hook the RG 6 up and try it, or I guess I could just strip back the coax and do it that way too

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The Rifleman is still one my favorites!

We don't watch anything exotic for TV channels - - no movies, HBO, etc....

We watch local news, TBS, Food, Discovery, Science, Hallmark, RFD-TV, and ACC Network for Syracuse basketball......

Have considered cutting the cord, but know nothing about streaming Netflix, Hulu, yadda, yadda...I guess there's a way to keep a "TV" Spectrum/Charter subscription, but only watch via streaming?

That's how we watch on our TV's with a Roku, but I hear the on-line only version of the subscription is much less $$$?